Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4agze internals?

Forum Member

Default 4agze internals?

Hi all,

I have recently installed a lysholm 1200ax TS supercharger onto my smallport ae92 4agze. also running quad throttles.
    before piping through the intercooler and to the intake plenum i have started her up and runs fine.

just wanted peoples opinions on what should be done to the internals before i pipe it up and get her tuned.
    i am running a 75mm SC pulley and a stock 145mm crank, i guess this should see around 22-25 psi, also planning to go with a link g4 ecu.

does anybody have an idea what the stock internals can handle?
    am definately going to get some arp head bolts and rod bolts, possibly some forged rods, how are the stock pistons?

any ideas will be appreciated.

Junior Member Conversion King

Default Re: 4agze internals?

Stock pistons are great on the GZE's (factory forged), as long as your AFR's aren't too lean you shouldn't toast them. Admittedly though I'm probably not the best person to recommend but what you sound like you are doing doesn't sound unachievable considering what's already been done to 4AG's before.

If you are doing rod bolts and possibly rods, I'd been looking at your rings as well. Apparently factory are cast, and whilst they are awesome at handling boost, there will be a limit to where they will inevitably fail.
    If you aren't cracking open the bottom end you might be fine as it is, if you are though, get a set of chrome rings put in and have the block honed to match the rings, so you get proper bed in and very little chance of blowing them.

There are previously SC14 GZE's floating around the forums running a good 140kW at the wheels on stock cast rings, now gone s15 turbo and running 170kW, nothing else changed in the bottom end. Food for thought.
    Autodub - 1987 AW11 G-Limited, Dark Blue Mica 4AGZE T-Top 4EAT

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Off topic, but do you have a build thread for your car? I want to subscribe to follow the progress and results

Genuine Hotty. Conversion King old_mr2's Avatar

Apparently good for up to 300hp. I have been pumping 15-20PSI into mine (stock bigport gze) for 3 years now, she comes back for more every-time. Currently 240whp. Adaptronic ECU.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

20psi wont worry a stock 4agze. the head gasket might decide to call it a day, but if the tune is right and you slap in some arp head studs it should hold together for quite a long time

interested to see what results you get with the 1200ax also.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Maybe slap some ceramic on the pistons to keep the heat in the combustion chamber and a general freshen up if you are going in there anywayr, but the bottom ends are pretty good.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Leave it alone, get a good tune and things will be fine. Stock ZE bottom ends are great.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

I run genuine standard Toyota 4AGZE pistons and rings in 7AGTE in my race car,
    Made over 500hp on the dyno and they were in there for about 3 years,

When it had it's rebuild the engine builder has reused the pistons (with new rings) as they are 100% fine,
    so I would say the pistons are great!!
    I still run genuine Toyota rings on them too so would not say they are a problem either.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Forum Member

thanx for all the input guys.

Knightrous, sorry but i dont have a build thread, just signed up to these forums and not on any others at the moment

I guess the consensus for now would be to leave the block.
    I have also heard that the early model smallport (AE92) also has the strongest of rods found in the 4agze, could anybody confirm this?

DX20VT, ahh this sounds very promising, i was tempted to do a 7agte, thought i would stick to the 1.6 tho xD are you running standard rings with the pistons?

Maj, is good to know about the rings, if i do get her pulled apart will definately look into this.

AE92 Smallport / AE101 (which are smallport) 4AGZE and Silvertop rods are all the same, and the strongest (for stock) IIRC.

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TERRA Operative View Post
    AE92 Smallport / AE101 (which are smallport) 4AGZE and Silvertop rods are all the same, and the strongest (for stock) IIRC.
    Not ALL smallports got silvertop rods... many early smallports came through with the MASSIVE 1st gen 4AGZE rod.....

Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Forum Member

ahhh right so this means that the ae92 smallport 4agze came with the 26mm rods and ae101 4agze came with the 21mm rods?
    just had a phone call with my tuner and recons that the stock 8.9:1 compression could be high a little high for what i am trying to achieve, said we can still tune it tho so i guess will see how it ends up.

unless you want to run 30psi or something, 8.9:1 pistons will be fine.

dont worry about which type of above conrods you have, whichever variant you have will do the job without an issue, unless you want to rev the thing to 10k...

seriously the 4AGZE bottom end of any generation is very very strong for a factory engine.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....

I used to run 13PSI on my AE101 4AGZE and spin that up to 8000RPM regularly.

It loved it.

and i was running 20psi on my 4agte revving to 7750rpm

same engine was also involved in four engine bay fires, two BIG oil pressure loss events (but I shut the engine down immediately in both instances), 3 years of heavy abuse at the track running 11psi through the supercharger. and when i bought it, it came out of a halfcut which had been clearly raced and rolled previously....

they are strong nuggets. no doubt about it.