Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 79 Corona

3RZFE-T Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 79 Corona

Pick up a 202 red motor sat morning. Bought it on ebay for $80. If it fits then i'll send it off to get checked out and if that all comes back OK then its getting rebuilt

Picked up my engine and lucky me it was from a older guy who has worked in the Auto trade industry like me and knows what he's talking about.
    Only 2 owner engine that was pulled from a wreck. Has a good service history (i removed the rocker cover and its in good clean cond) All orig un molested. not even rebuild as its not needed one. So its a good platform to start on.
    And to clarify the 202 holden red is not a direct bolt in. The mount holes on the 202 and the x1 are in complete diff position. The engine mounts sit in the same area but bolt differently. But not enough to say its never gonna happen just need a new engine bracket made to suit
    And i'll start a new thread once things get going

highly underrated Backyard Mechanic

.......a 202? really??? ah well I spose its a step up from a starfire but still polluting it with holden.
    might want to get better rods for it apparently the red rods don't rev well and tend to break
    RT104 with 4AGTE

Some assembly required

Rods are fine in these engines its resonance in the block that the big problem

Ok so Update time. and i'll get this off my chest
    For the record x1 engine mounts WILL NOT match the 202 unlike popular belief the casting of the 202 block and the x1 block are complety different.
    You will need a Mid sump hump from a HG ect
    And you can forget the orig radiator cos that's not gonna happen.

Anyway.......... Engine is being fitted up and a m20 gearbox is going in behind it. I was orig going to use a T5 but its not going to fit in a million years unless u basicly hack out the tunnel and then with the weight and engine already being far forward its not a combo and the cons out way the Pro's
    So i grabbed a m20 in a friday night hour run to the coast to be fitted.
    Hopefully i'll get it back next week some time and begin putting it all back together. I'll be using a single core radiator from a ford laser and a good thermo fan

Thats it for now

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I'm sure you will have some big cooling issues with the Laser radiator, you need to look at what its designed for, the laser one is good for a 1.6 or 2 litre motor versus 3.3 litres you are trying to cool, thermo fan wont help you much above 40 or so kph which is were you will start to have issues ..

Its more a temp thing to get it running and able to transport it to work and back where i can use the workshop. I only live about 500m from work

Everyting is in and bolted up (engine and gearbox)
    Just have to get the tail shaft made next. I hope to get is started this weekend

So it all runs now and just doing the little things like re-route wires and fuel and water lines to make it neat.
    And ive come across abit of a problem with my clutch pedal. Now i converted it from auto to a manual pedal.Now every diagram ive seen told me thre should of been a spot to bolt the clutch pedal in and well iam half way there (see pic)
    DSCN0395.JPG Now every bone in my body says something is missing but ive got no idea what to call it.Try explaining it to a wrecking yard is impossible
    Next best thing ius to fabricate something up or is there something out there from another toyota around the same year "79" that will work

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

Did you get the whole manual pedal assembly?
    Cheers Brett.

thats the thing i dont know what iam missing. No diagrams out there give me specific parts

If possible go to your local wreckers and see if you can find a manual 130 and go from there but it looks that there are things missing.I cant tell you what as its been a long time since I had one of these.
    Cheers Brett.

think ive found a xt130 manual. Just hope its still there until the weekend

If you have get the whole assembly not just the clutch pedal.
    Cheers Brett.