Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2ZZ-AW11 (and other silly swaps)

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Default 2ZZ-AW11 (and other silly swaps)

Been thinking alot recently about light, powerful motors for my MR2 (which just feels...well, back-heavy), and the 2ZZ option was mentioned the other day. How hard would this be to adapt in there? And does anyone know what the going rate is (if you can find one?)

How about a MIVEC V6?

RM.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Default Re: 2ZZ-AW11 (and other silly swaps)

mivev V6 is impossible in the back of the MR2 without drastic chassis and shell modifications.

2ZZ won't exactly fit coz
    1. gearbox
    2. drive-shafts
    3. crossmber
    4. engine mounts would be way off..

just my 0.02 cents though.. my dream AW11 had a bigport with quads and cams
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Not eactly the same thing, but I've been wondering about a 2ZZ in place of a 4A in my corolla since I found out they both have C series gearboxes. But after talking to my friend at toyota found out that it wouldn't bolt up (plus a 2zz is about 15g's to put in a 1zz corolla, so i can't imagine it would be cheap)

As for putting it in an AW11, use the C60 gearbox, customs mounts (like in any conversion), and he nly thing that would be really difficult would be the driveshafts

Vios-GT_07: As for the Mivec V6, are you just assuming it wouldn't fit, or ahve you taken measurments - they fit in the foront of lancers (probably bigger then the mr2 bay but still quite small)

Quote Originally Posted by Lachie

Vios-GT_07: As for the Mivec V6, are you just assuming it wouldn't fit, or ahve you taken measurments - they fit in the foront of lancers (probably bigger then the mr2 bay but still quite small)
    i did measure a Lancer and FTo's engine bay, and there is no way that the 6A12 would simply fit into the Lancer. Fair bit of fabrication is needed. Firewall was just barely fit + the front end had to be cut out and the radiator bar extended, even so it just made enough room to fit (when the engine tilts forward there's something like a few inches before the engine touches something)

That said, the AW11 has comfy room for the 4A-GE to sit and the 6A-12 is really double the length, (think narrow angle V6). I've had trouble in doing an engine swap for an AW11 as it is.. there just isn't much room to move around. maybe If you could cut into the boot? coz the 6A12 longer both length and width wise.

Compare the 6A-12 and gearbox with that of the 4A-GE + gearbox (for the AW11) and u'll see a very big difference in size. that, coupled with the engine bay of the AW11 which cannot really be modifid for more length.. (unless u take up the boot too) and yea i've made a few rough measurements for something similar but it was so off that it seemed impossible. No i didn't keep the figures.. was about 2 years back.

FIXED!!
    Last edited by Vios-GT_07; 08-06-2006 at 07:59 PM.
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

At Work I'm A Grease Monkey Hibba's Avatar

http://www.v8mr2.com/

Thats what you need for the Ultimate mr2

MX83 Grande
    DirtyWan Skyline GX

I've heard of 2ZZ packages going for between 2.5k and 7k, and I've since learnt that Merridan Motorsport have one in their AW11. Sooo..it's doable! It'd be a damn fine drive, too

How about some other engines?

B16/B18
    Mivec V6
    Hyabusa motor (I think the box would smash with the weight...)

Keep em coming guys!

Cheers, RM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibba
    http://www.v8mr2.com/

Thats what you need for the Ultimate mr2
    Trying to get weight OUT!

RM.

then again if you take up the boot space, does it become RR instead of MR layout?

yeap i think that most L4 engine would fit into an AW11... wouldn't mind either the B18 or 2ZZ in it.. high-revving street go-kart !!

1UZ-FE ??

Hahah...yeah. Like a damn 911 Hmm. I think a straight 4 is the answer, as the object is to cut weight, and move it forward...

RM.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Yes, speak to Meridian Motorsport about it. I think they even advertise a 2ZZ into AW11 as a conversion they can do.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

1mz-fe aw11 would be cool... seen the 3vz done. also an F20C aw11 would be damned interesting.

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

2ZZ into an AW11 would be awesome. If you do it, I wish you all the best

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Vios-GT_07: I think your tape measure is broken mate or it got bigger when you measured the lancer bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachie
    Vios-GT_07: I think your tape measure is broken mate or it got bigger when you measured the lancer bay.

nope i'll stand by what we've measured and deduced.. if u notice closely in the pic the gap between engine and radiator is where we've had problems.. plus i wouldn't say it's a fair comparison coz we measured against a 96 lancer coupe and mirage (which are really almost the same thing) and this is a newer model .

that said, it's a very tight fit and i'm surprised he got the aircon in there, and also the aircon's pipe running across like that.. is a good idea we never thought of.