Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2ZZ-AW11 (and other silly swaps)

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: 2ZZ-AW11 (and other silly swaps)

the 4A-GE doesn't have the torque/power to pull the E12 series Corollas effectively (yes less torque stock then the 1ZZ and 2ZZ). I suggest you go back to the 2ZZ car and drive it again properly. They are not an engine you can get a real feel of in one drive. It took me a couple of months to get used to the feel of the engine/gear package.

I do not understand why you would have the C50 gearbox over the C60/64 though. That is just silly. You will fall out or the powerband even more so then you already do... unless you kow how to drive it properly

The gear ratios are on a fine edge and you need to be slick and precise for it to work. Using the C50 gearbox would detract from the enjoyment sooo much it's not funny. You will just end up frustrated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by deviant
    How about a N***an Pulsar GTI-R engine? People stick them in FWD Pulsars all the time so im pretty sure you could adapt it to go in a mid engined car.
    250BHP and quad throttle bodies as standard. gotta be a laugh in an AW11!!
    Why not go all out and put in a Cosworth Duratec engine then?

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    that was classic.. a 2ZZ in an AW11

but still....

how did the engine sit in the car? crossmember?

wasn't very detailed eh..
    crossmember......????? no such need for one in an aw11

u sure youve done a conversion into an aw11 b4?

and there is no bar the monts are welded directly to the chassis

Junior Member Conversion King deviant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Stivo
    Why not go all out and put in a Cosworth Duratec engine then?
    Mmmm Cosworth goodness. One of my friends in England has a 3 door Sierra Cosworth thats pushing around 380BHP.

I would choose the SR20DET though because they are readily available here and there is an abundance of tuning parts. There is zero support (that i can find) in Australia for Cosworth engines.

How about getting the very latest Honda 2 litre V-Tec and fitting one of the off the shelf supercharger kits and ending up with 300BHP+ (like the Ariel Atom 300). Probably heading into the realms of needing very very deep pockets but its going to make the ultimate trackday weapon.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 3sgte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    Still using the C50 gearbox (with a custom bellhousing?) i'd have thought would be the 2ZZ gearbox or
    He isn't using the C50.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2255550/2

Look at the pictures and read the text.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ZZ Engineswapper
    Rear transaxle body mount from 4AGE's C50
    (my emphasis)

The photos clearly show the old MR2 mounts on the new FF celica transaxle.

One thing not shown is how the shift cables are hooked up. A potential solution is mentioned, but there is no evidence of follow through. I would imagine dragging the shift cables round to the backside of the transaxle to be quite a challenge due to inadequate (?) length. The solution he proposes would avoid that, but I can't say if the MR2 select mechanism (extending through the "front" of the translaxle) would work in the 6 speed box.

photo link

Blue_Stivo nails it perfectly, the 2ZZ would be out of its element with the ratios of the 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by deviant
    Mmmm Cosworth goodness. One of my friends in England has a 3 door Sierra Cosworth thats pushing around 380BHP.

I would choose the SR20DET though because they are readily available here and there is an abundance of tuning parts. There is zero support (that i can find) in Australia for Cosworth engines.
    Have a talk to Meridian Motorsport in Melboure re cosworth engines

and 2ZZ engines too for that matter...

the Duratec is based on the Mazda 2.3L engine used in the 6 and the SP23. It's the new engine use in this years formula Atlantic series in America raplacing the 4A-GE after 20 odd years.

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3sgte
    He isn't using the C50.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2255550/2

Look at the pictures and read the text.

(my emphasis)
    sorry my bad.. C50 transaxle mounts + n/a MR2 drive-shafts.. i think i'll have another look at the AW11.. must've missed something coz i still can't get the idea of how it'd fit .. the Celica has a very different engine-bay from memory.. but the link shows it's fairly simple with the only "complication" being the mount position and shift selectors.

Blue_Stivo - and yea i'd say a fair bit of skill, speed and knowledge of the package to make it work efficiently, just that one drive isn't sufficient to learn it and one drive alone doesn't do it justice. It did put me off because of its first impression but given a chance i'd definitely take it up!
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic buck naked's Avatar

Looking at the custom work involved for the AW11, a 2ZZ swap into ZZW30 model seems more appealing. 960kg kerb weight in street trim and huge availibility of new parts (hard tops ftw).

Stroke the engine out to 1.93 litres, head and cam work, a Motec computer running the standard 6 speed sequential gearbox. C-One close ratio gear set. Maybe swap the stock LSD for something more agressive. Alternately, source a manual import model and go with a PowerFC to save some cash.

Build a Lotus-eating Japanese monster =)

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Absolutely, I love the new MR2. But we got saddled with a *dammit* auto-only (ok, so it's got a wank 'sequential' shifter, but we all know how much that's worth), even the yanks got the manual. 2ZZ would be awesome...now I'm thinking all over again...

RM.

Quote Originally Posted by buck naked
    Looking at the custom work involved for the AW11, a 2ZZ swap into ZZW30 model seems more appealing. 960kg kerb weight in street trim and huge availibility of new parts (hard tops ftw).
    several of those have been built very sucessfully in the US. There is currently one in constustion in Sydney that will look awesome when complete. They have resprayed the entire chassis Cobolt Blue as well as detailed engine components to match. Will be an awesome showcar when complete

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Absolutely, I love the new MR2. But we got saddled with a *dammit* auto-only (ok, so it's got a wank 'sequential' shifter, but we all know how much that's worth), even the yanks got the manual. 2ZZ would be awesome...now I'm thinking all over again...
    Tell me about it! It put a big dent in my apprecaition of the MRS (not my wife!). Still maybe on the bright side, I bet there's several kg of solenoids in the rear that would save weight if removed (i.e convert to a proper manual). I read that Toyota used the 1ZZ in the MR2 because it resulted in a car with better drivability, i.e. torquier at lower revs. But I have to admit a 2ZZ would seem like a logical idea for a factory hot-up MR2.

On one of the BMI (Best Motoring International) DVDs that I *ahem* previewed on the internet "NA battles at 10,000rpm" they race a 2ZZ MRS. Unfortunately it came last, but still it was cool.

Nick.
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....