Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What engine should i plonk into my RA60 (+ Introduction)**

Forum Member

Smile What engine should i plonk into my RA60 (+ Introduction)**

Hey, my name is Byron im new to the forum and would love to get to know some of the frequent forum fanatics!

Since i was 16 and on my learners i've had 11 cars, from an AE82 to my MA61 and RA60 i have now.. and yes i've learnt alot along the way! but there is still so much more to learn! and i am more than willing to learn from the best!

AE82, RA40, AW11, L Series with an EJ22, Corona, EP71, KE70, Soarer, E28 M Series, Another EJ22 L, MA61 and last but no least the RA60

I love the MA61, its got a very untuned 7MGTE but ill leave that for another thread..

The Celica has been my daily since ive had my license and its starting to really tick me off (literally) it sounds like a diesel and drives like one to, and i am uber keen to throw the 21RC in the scrap heap..

This will be my first Engine Conversion and real modifications and would love some advice please!

Im looking for something fairly straight forward with minimal fabrication etc as i dont always have time to use my friends workshop and will most likely be doing everything at home by myself.

Ive almost lined up two engines that to my knowledge will fit, a 2TG and a 1GGTE, but im still unsure of what engine will go on what chassis etc etc.

Any info would be awesome! i hope this thread gets seen and i didnt just waste my time telling my very boring and average car life story haha
    (can post pics if you need/want)

THANKS!

Junior Member Grease Monkey MattC's Avatar

Default Re: What engine should i plonk into my RA60 (+ Introduction)**

Hi Byron,

My first car was an RA60 too

You could make pretty much anything fit if you have the time/skills/money. The best option for any conversion depends on a number of things;

What's your budget?
    What kind of power do you want to make?
    What's the cars intended use? (Tough street car, cool cruiser, weekend track warrior, drift pig, drag car, etc etc etc)
    What other mods do you have planned?

The two engines you listed are probably the last ones that I'd consider, if I were doing another RA60 I'd stick a 3S-GE BEAMS in it, but thats just me.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Happiness is a warm Celica

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

BEAMS with quad throttles would be nice in an RA60.
    SHEPPO..

Forum Member

Well yes the RA60 is my 11th car

Budget is around $2000~ mark
    Im not looking for extreme power just an upgrade from the tractor engine and something to keep up with other cars on the road
    Its going to be my daily and maybe a few track days and lot of cruises, my MA61 will be the track car (far into the future)
    If i was going with an old twincam id love to ITB it just for shits and some gurgle goodness, but no major mods to any of the engines that id choose
    Ive got suspension mods and brakes on the way already so im not driving around in a land boat

Just did a quick bit of research and i can only find those 3sge's for around the $3000 mark, wich already blows all my money out the way, but yeah that would be the dream..

Thanks for the reply!

Forum Member

What about the 18RG? Didnt the RA63 Celica GT's come out with them?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

3SGE RWD beams conversions can be purchased for reasonable money, nice gearbox too
    Wouldn't put a 1G in, waste of effort when 1JZ's can be had for $1500 etc

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

I'd look hard at how to do a 1JZ conversion.

Would be the best bang for buck with plenty of support out there for bits and mods.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Gearboxes are the problem, you will pay more for a manual than you will for the motor (and for a R154, quite a bit more tbh)

Forum Member

Yeah 1J would be amazing but wouldnt it throw off the whole cars balance? ive got the notchback version so the weight is kinda centered..

Im not looking for a massive upgrade or anything serious really just something that will get me going! (and that wont get too much attention from the po po)

And yeah exactly i dont want to be smashing through expensive gearboxes and diffs all because i wont be able to get out of fourth gear without wheelspin

A nice 18R would be good aswel, but they are few and far betweeen!

Ill start looking around for some 3SGE's

Junior Member Grease Monkey MattC's Avatar

Early 3SGE's are dirt cheap, but since they came from FWD Celicas everything is turned around the wrong way. A 1JZ would go like stink but put an extra ~100kg over your front axle.

Ok so this is in no way a "cool" conversion, but a reasonably cheap alternative upgrade would be a 22R from a Hilux, they were still making them well into the 90's so there are plenty around, they're cheap, and the Yanks are mad for them and make heaps of performance parts, turbo conversion kits etc for them..
    Happiness is a warm Celica

no backyard Domestic Engineer japlish's Avatar

N/a vvti 2jz would be best bang for buck under $2000 and whoop a beams anyday.....
    Destroyer of 'Drop Forged' spanners

Duct Tape Solves All Conversion King ivandude's Avatar

The fellas budget is 2k... 1JZ package for $1500 doesnt leave you much money when you prob got a few custom lines, mounts, and wiring.

1G isnt a waste of time or effort at all when you are probably talking about getting a 1G package for <$1k total + all the info for this conversion is available. Just got to look out for one selling privately, maybe an import shop will have one, or easy to just buy a whole junk car (like a 1G-GTE Soarer). 1G into the RA60 is bang for buck give it a google and you'll see there are quite a few threads n why its been done over n over. Good power to weight, more modern & efficient engine, still only 2.0L just like the 21RC (but with extra cylinders lol). RT142/RA65 EFI gear can be used pretty easily too.

In Vic where I bought my 1JZ-GE VVTi halfcut, there was an auto 1G-GTE Gen 3 half-cut selling for $300~, i know thats super cheap deals but with some looking & asking around I'm sure you could find a turbo 1G or a non-turbo 1G package for under $1k def

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...onversion.html
    1982 Soarer MZ11 1JZ-GE VVTi build
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    1981-1985 Z10 Soarer Owners International Group
    Former rides ~~ RA65 '85 Celica ~ MA61 '84 Supra ~ JZA80 '98 Aerotop ~ AE101 '92 Levin Toyo4life

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

triptek has a 2jzge + 5spd auto package for sale with low kays and is in W.A... just sayin'

I think he wants 1.5k or so, which leaves almost no wiggle room.. but still.. fark it would be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

What about a 4age 20v? If you could find one cheap + sam q's water relocation kit + COP conversion...

For a 1.6 they pick up the car really well. Ive got one in my ra65...ive since turbo'd it but drove well n/a...would honestly probably struggle to hav it finishd for under 2k though...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

How about a 1kd-ftv! 3 litre of evil diesel! easy do 400hp and no ones ever seen one done before there is the 1vd-ftv too 4.5l of v8 diesel doom....
    Look at this page http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...l/viewall.html duramax they are so hot in the us at the moment high revving sowing machines only do so much....