Thread: 1ggte info

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1ggte info

I have a 1ggte in a ra40 and I am wanting to get 200kw atw any suggestions on the best way to achieve this and if I changed it to a single turbo would that require re engineering.
    I would put a 1j into it but it is already engineered with the 1ggte so unless that is an easy change it isn't really an option at the moment

Default Re: 1ggte info

Do a search on here mate, i have been doing lots of 1ggte searching lately and there is tons of it almost everything has been covered

Have you found many parts for same single turbo manifold s
    Etc???
    How do I do a search still learning to navigate my way
    Around the site I am new to it

Quote Originally Posted by Brett77 View Post
    Have you found many parts for same single turbo manifold s
    Etc???
    How do I do a search still learning to navigate my way
    Around the site I am new to it
    I'm in the same boat as you but if you are looking for 1ggte mods (air to air cooled) there is a lot of information on here especially for single conversions. Unfortuneately for me I have a 3rd gen 1ggteu (water to air cooled) and trying to find information on it seems to be like finding a frign unicorn! What I have found though is that it would seem wiser to save for the 1j conversion than try beefing up the 1g motor. Seen posts saying costs around 1k for the single turbo manifold alone! Then factor in your internals ecu cooling etc... The budget gets pretty big and I have spent already over a grand in just replacing parts that are breaking down and thats just within a month :s

My honest opinion money-to-part wise rebuild your motor to the point it is going to run without to much worry of it suddenly dying on you and then just save for the 1j conversion and don't abuse the lead foot to much.

Just my 2c but if you're going to just 1j it down the track probably the smarter option to save for that rather than spending the same amount of money for a decent, reliable single turbo upgrade

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

Sorry mate i disagree...
    I have had both a 1g and a 1j in my celica.
    If you are after 200rwkw - easily doable with a 1g. as you said, manifold single turbo and you will go very close with factory computer and injectors.
    Yes there aren't cheap crap chinese manifold for them - that said a decent 1g manifold is no dearer than a decent 1j manifold.

If you were talking 250+ rwkw, i would say yes 1j .... but they are alot more work to fit, bigger gearboxes (generally) etc etc...
    The 1g is lighter, fits easier, revs really nicely... and plenty of them go great - looks at steves (hypo23) runs 11.2 on the 1/4 mile... thats fast in anyones language.

Cheers
    Stew
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by Toy77 View Post
    Sorry mate i disagree...
    I have had both a 1g and a 1j in my celica.
    If you are after 200rwkw - easily doable with a 1g. as you said, manifold single turbo and you will go very close with factory computer and injectors.
    Yes there aren't cheap crap chinese manifold for them - that said a decent 1g manifold is no dearer than a decent 1j manifold.

If you were talking 250+ rwkw, i would say yes 1j .... but they are alot more work to fit, bigger gearboxes (generally) etc etc...
    The 1g is lighter, fits easier, revs really nicely... and plenty of them go great - looks at steves (hypo23) runs 11.2 on the 1/4 mile... thats fast in anyones language.

Cheers
    Stew
    I don't doubt the potential they have (read your thread a few times now and dear god is your car nice haha) just saying cost and budget wise if you plan to 1j it later on is a lot more cost effective to just save for that and enjoy the 1G in it's stock form with maybe just very simple mods. In saying that I didn't see that Brett77 already has it engineered for the 1G so in that respects would probably be better to keep with 1G than go through pain of conversion re-engineer and what not.

The 1G in my ride is unfortuneately more on the way out than anything so thats why I said if you're going to convert motors anyway write down what both would equal budget wise and go from there. Honestly for me it is to do a conversion and that's just parts wise which surprised me greatly (cost is less than half than it is to go single turbo).

As I said just my 2c and I'm purely looking at it on the budget side of things. I do enjoy my 1G but cost in rebuilding it over getting a 1J is just not cost effective (for me anyway) not trying to burst anyones bubbles just going from the wallet side of things lol

Kaz

Again sorry Brett77 for trolling hard on your threads

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

I made my own single turbo manifold for a couple hundred bucks as long as your a bit handy with a welder and grinder its pretty straight forward
    RIP st141 died doing what it loved http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
    1ggte hilux massive 143rwkw http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...724&highlight=
    corolla sportivo daily LIFT