Thread: X90 Chaser from Diesel to JZ (help please)

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Eric A's Avatar

Default X90 Chaser from Diesel to JZ (help please)

Hi all.

I am after information on whats needed to do a swap from a turbo diesel X90 chaser to a 2JZ turbo X90 chaser. Are the mounts the same, do I need a new petrol tank/pump/lines? Computers, can I go aftermarket fairly cheaply instead of buying OEM? Anything else to it?

Also an idea on price would be great, from anyone that's done it before.

Thanks.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: X90 Chaser from Diesel to JZ (help please)

In all honesty it would be cheaper to sell it and buy a Petrol engined model (JZX90) then go mad with a JZ build as you have a whole lot less to change and yes you will need to change fuel tank and lines, fit the relevant emissions gear then there's suspension and brake bias as the JZ (like a UZ) is around 80kg lighter than Toyotas Fine Diesel lumps.

To give an example on a similar vein when I had my shop and did conversions for "Fill in work" to take the average diesel Surf or Hilux and give it some "UZ Loving" cost to turn key stage $17K which is where I tried to cap the price or people wouldn't have done them. This did not include exhaust system or engineering.

To ask a dumb question what motor does it currently have? A 2L-TE? as I have a really dumb idea (actually this idea turns a 4wd Hilux or Surf into a V8/Turbo 6 eater and that's on the road which means not only can they go fast but can go anywhere). This dumb idea means leaving it diesel but it will go like hell and can be run on veggie oil or Jet A1
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric A View Post
    Are the mounts the same, do I need a new petrol tank/pump/lines? Computers, can I go aftermarket fairly cheaply instead of buying OEM? Anything else to it?
    Crossmember are different but are easy enough to buy here from a halfcut (or make mounts to suit)
    Tank is different but I doubt it would be hard to convert to EFI, either modify the hanger or run an external surge tank if its a headache. Hardlines are hardlines, you will need a few extra bits and what not though. OEM ECU works well enough, not an issue to wire.

Best option would be to find someone who has purchased a JZX90 halfcut for the motor/box and buy everything else for a few hundred and swap it all over.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Just buy a cheap Haltech for 1500 bucks
    Then pay someone to wire it and tune it for another 2 grand
    It's not too much if u have a spare 10 g to spend. I say go with it
    If u don't then sell it all and buy Hyundai