Thread: 1uz-fe V8 into JZA80 supra, please help me! READ READ READ

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Question 1uz-fe V8 into JZA80 supra, please help me! READ READ READ

Hey everyone, My name is Nick and i'm new to this website.

I was asking a few questions on another forum and a user pointed me to this website to get a hold of the info i'm chasing in regards to doing a UZA80 Conversion.

Long story short, i bought a red, 5 Speed 1993 N/A JZA80 supra for pretty cheap mid last year. Since owning it i haven't really done much to it modification wise.... apart from throwing a set of BBS LM wheels on it that i had laying around.

When i bought the car it had a massive set of wilwood brakes on it. it still does now and my god do they STOP! and after thinking long and hard about it, i decided against a 2JZ-GTE conversion purely because i wanted something different and i honestly prefer the power delivery of an N/A over most boosted cars anyway.

SO

I decided to do some serious research into the conversion of putting a 1UZ V8 into my Supra, obviously it has been done many times before which is a good thing.

Basically my aim if i went through with the conversion was to leave the engine as stock as possible. i'm not interested in aftermarket cams etc. I'd be more than satisfied with a 5 speed 1UZ that just out performs my old 2JZ-GE (Wouldn't be hard)

Which brings me to my questions for you all,

Now from other forums i have made up a vague list of parts i will be needing for a conversion, HOWEVER i do not have any knowledge of places to get the parts i need (apart from the engine) or How much (or round about) it is going to cost.

Now i'm not in this to be a cheap arse and expect a mint setup for 2 grand. However i dont think i'm going to be able to commit financially if its going to come to around the 7.5-10K mark. Heres hoping......

Below is the list i have compiled so far of parts i need, please feel free to add anything to my list with a round about price if you can BUT most importantly,give some names or people,businesses and contact numbers, so i can knuckle down and get what research i need- done.

-Bell housing to adapt to my W58 5 Speed gearbox, also will be needing the bell housing bolts and sandwich plate that goes in between the engine and the g'box

- Clutch and flywheel combo. By some chance could i use the clutch and flywheel combo from a 2jz-GE? if not where do i look?

- Engine, wiring harness and ECU unit - That side is pretty straight forward.(i was told that i need a mid or rear sump engine from a soarer for best compatibility

- New exhaust (possibly extractors if you can point me to someone) as well as a new Hi flow cat.

-Thermo fans+ temp switch

-2UZ Fan pulley which aids in getting rid of the hydraulic clutch fan. (what is the pulley actually called?)

-Possible new engine mounts if ones on the UZ engine are perished.

-A/C and Power steering lines modded (how exactly do they need to be modded?)

And that is the list so far, what else do i need and where do i get it from/who do i contact?

PS: i am more than capable of doing the manual labour myself, i have most/all of the tools/hardware required to get the job done, the only labour i would be paying is wiring UNLESS someone has a wiring guide that is easy to follow.

Thanks everyone, sorry about the worlds longest story but i condensed it as much as i could. I hope to hear from someone soon.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Default Re: 1uz-fe V8 into JZA80 supra, please help me! READ READ READ

Quote Originally Posted by nick#07 View Post
    -Bell housing to adapt to my W58 5 Speed gearbox, also will be needing the bell housing bolts and sandwich plate that goes in between the engine and the g'box

- Clutch and flywheel combo. By some chance could i use the clutch and flywheel combo from a 2jz-GE? if not where do i look?

- Engine, wiring harness and ECU unit - That side is pretty straight forward.(i was told that i need a mid or rear sump engine from a soarer for best compatibility

- New exhaust (possibly extractors if you can point me to someone) as well as a new Hi flow cat.

-Thermo fans+ temp switch

-2UZ Fan pulley which aids in getting rid of the hydraulic clutch fan. (what is the pulley actually called?)

-Possible new engine mounts if ones on the UZ engine are perished.

-A/C and Power steering lines modded (how exactly do they need to be modded?)
    Quite a few people sell bellhousings for a 1UZ/W58 (Dellows and Bullet come to mind along with a bunch of people on eBay.
    The bullet kit is $1600 which is not too bad for what you get tbh
    Gearbox Conversion Kits Bellhousing Bullet Cars

Everything else on your list is rather trivial, the wiring is pretty straight forward but your probably best off paying to get it done or paying for a loom to be made. Ensure when you buy an engine you get everything and I mean everything from the motor. No cut looms etc. Exhaust is easy, search around and you will figure out if extractors will clear. Thermos are simple too, get some fans with a shroud and wire in a switch for the top radiator hose. No idea on the pulley and as for the PS and AC lines, most hose mobs will do them for you.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

u will easily get up close to 5g in expenses then u add 1 to 2 g for extra shit u forget about

wiring is easy but time consuming
    the tricky bit is making sure u run the power steering wiring and getting the air con to work
    ive done many 2jzgte aristo looms to plug into jza80 supras with na 2j and its prob a 10 to 14 hour job to make it nice and fit
    the relays for tacho and air con and fuel pump if needed depending on what 1uz u have
    so maybe sit down with both looms and probe out all the wires then start cutting and soldering

Thank you both for your responses, it's good to finally get something from someone!

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post
    u will easily get up close to 5g in expenses then u add 1 to 2 g for extra shit u forget about

wiring is easy but time consuming
    the tricky bit is making sure u run the power steering wiring and getting the air con to work
    ive done many 2jzgte aristo looms to plug into jza80 supras with na 2j and its prob a 10 to 14 hour job to make it nice and fit
    the relays for tacho and air con and fuel pump if needed depending on what 1uz u have
    so maybe sit down with both looms and probe out all the wires then start cutting and soldering
    Yeah i know what you mean when you said "with shit you forget about" when i did a CA18 to SR swap in my old S-13 there was a pile of things i needed to buy that i forgot, added up FAST!!

In regards to the wiring side of things, a user on another forum is upgrading to a haltech ECU in his UZ powered JZA80..... aaaaaand he said he'd gladly sell me his full wiring harness once he has his Haltech. which is a pretty good offer considering it would make my whole conversion a lot easier..... a lote more Plug'n'Play if you know what i mean.

ok cool
    all looms I do for jza80 are plug n play
    yr friend might get in strife if he does that
    he wont have any engine loom to body plugs to figure out the air con and his gauges but that's not yr problem

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Why would sell the loom anyway?
    Would imagine wiring a haltech into the existing loom would be a lot easier, sure you might be using different ignition gear and what not but factory looms are quality bits of gear.

wiring the haltech is not to hard
    but if u wire up just the engine and nothing else because u threw or sold the orig loom
    then u have no way of tracing wires for gauges and air con and stuff like that
    unless u have diagrams of the body plugs then the other issue u have is if u don't have the body to engine plugs
    then u have to use aftermarket connecotrs which can look average sometimes compared to small neat factory plugs

Well he offered to sell it and he seems like a pretty switched on type of guy so i imagine he has something sorted out so he wont end up in trouble. regardless, if i get the cash together quick enough so i can snap it up fast then anything he didn't think about is his problem.... otherwise i've got a few good people to contact since a few members of this Forum have had a chat to me.

whether i get this pre made loom or not it looks like i will still be going through with the conversion.

"dumbass" would you be another person i could add to my list of contacts i've got going here in regards to getting a wiring loom sorted for the conversion?

no probs
    try get the loom ASAP
    make sure u get ecu and air flow meter and igniters
    too so it all matches as it might turn to shit down the track

Junior Member Grease Monkey greg's Avatar

The part you need to replace the hydraulic fan set up is a 16307A . if you decide to go ahead with the swap I have one complete with new bearings and pulley .pm me it will be cheaper than the bearing cost.
    Cheers Greg.
    Brum,was going to be a billy cart ,now has motor and 6 speed+++
    1uzfe Mx83
    2jzgte MX83

Junior Member Grease Monkey nilprospects's Avatar

I have my own clutch/flywheel kit available, designed to suit R154/W58 1uz. They are extremely reliable!! I recommend the CRS bellhousing