Thread: crossmember to fit w50 to RA21 chassis

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default crossmember to fit w50 to RA21 chassis

Im fitting a w50 to my 18rc equiped RA21, and I'm noticing the crossmember for the w40 it came with does not match up. is there a crossmember for the w50 that fits the w50 to an RA21 chassis, and if not has anybody modified one to fit?

Thanks for any help in advance, this is holding up the project. I was planning to test out the transmission before my 18rg build was finished.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Default Re: crossmember to fit w50 to RA21 chassis

W40 and W50 gearbox's are interchangeable in Toyota Crowns of the same era as your Celica. No change in crossmember positioning, no change in gear selector location.

Just wondering if you have tried a crossmember from an auto trans version of your car. I know that on the early Celica's 1972 -1975 that auto crossmember, and a couple of pieces of 2" x 1/8" angle iron is all that is required to change from a T50 manual to a W series box, as the bigger box sits further back. You simply bolt the crossmember to the angle iron and the angle iron to the chassis, job done,

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!