Thread: Ra23 & ra28 door adjustments help?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Ra23 & ra28 door adjustments help?

Ok so I've just had my new pride and joy painted and the idiot panel beaters where screwing up the cars new paint work by trying to put all the panels back on
    So I said to leave it and I shall make the final adjustments etc.
    Can anyone tell me How to adjust the doors properly as the bottom never seems to pull in fully, when I gave it to them it was the best I had seen, all the doors shut beautifully.

Any info or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Owen

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Ra23 & ra28 door adjustments help?

At a guess if it was good before, i would think the bottom hinge needs to be moved out where it actually mounts to the door as it sounds like it it is the cause of holding / keeping your door from sitting flush .. You should be able to get at the hinge with the door open & back off the bolts & adjust it that way, but it might be easier / better final finish wise to remove the front guard & you can tweak it & getting it linning up well ..

Also obviously make sure there are no packers / shims between the bottom hinge & the A pillar mount ..

I'd love me some Backyard Mechanic king-szeitszam's Avatar

Yeah pretty much what lexsmaz said but I'd recommend removing your front quarters definitely. I made the mistake of not doing so on my 22 and realised too late that I had adjusted the door a little too far forward, and it just kissed the edge of the quarter panel when I shut it again for the first time. Only made a tiny scratch but I know it's there and it could have been avoided so it really bugs me.
    Adjust the door how you want it and then dummy fit the q/p to make sure it doesn't foul at all. Also good to have a jack on hand with a towel between it and the bottom of the door..just pop it under the end of the door and jack it up a little bit to take some of the weight- will make adjusting the door far easier.
    The Smurf: A 1972 TA22 with a 2TGEU, individual throttle bodies and a bad attitude.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cutters View Post
    Ok so I've just had my new pride and joy painted and the idiot panel beaters where screwing up the cars new paint work by trying to put all the panels back on
    So I said to leave it and I shall make the final adjustments etc.
    Can anyone tell me How to adjust the doors properly as the bottom never seems to pull in fully, when I gave it to them it was the best I had seen, all the doors shut beautifully.

Any info or help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Owen
    To get the bottom rear of the door in, you need to push the door out on the top hinge. It generally takes two guys and a fair bit of patience to get doors sitting right. Just remember these old girls were not robot built and can have huge variances in panel fit. I have even come across TA22 doors that were a few mm longer than others. Makes for interesting alignment.

As mentioned, front guards off is the only way to go. Use the sill panel as a reference for front to back locating. Take your striker off the "B" pillar and only refit it when the door hangs perfectly, otherwise it will be forcing the door to either lift or drop, placing excess stress on the hinge pins. Use masking tape/ blankets/ towels to prevent the doors from touching any part of the boby.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Junior Member Grease Monkey ta22fan's Avatar

Exactly as others have said. Use plenty of masking tape to keep it from falling off (speaks from experience - if that happens you won't be a happy camper!) I found that you need to position the door a couple of mm high at the back because the weight of the door (with glass) will pull it down just a fraction depending on the condition of your hinges after you tighten the hinge bolts. I also found it a bit easier with the spring removed from the bottom hinge. To put it back in place - clamp the spring closed in a vice, use a couple of lengths of wire to hold it in the compressed position, fit it back into the hinge, and then cut the wire. Take your time to get them just right - pulling the front quarters off to get at the hinges is not a 5 minute job unfortunately.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Also another thing I picked up is to only back the bolts off slightly then use a pin punch for fine adjustment. You can back off the bolts slightly, tap 1-2mm the direction you want to move the hinge and nip them back up again quickly and easily.
    18RG RA28