Thread: diesel oil in 1G ??

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default diesel oil in 1G ??

i have a 1G-GTE thats pretty stock with a single turbo and a few other bits. any way i have a free unlimited suply of Penrite HPR 15 Diesel oil and oil filters if i fit a relocation kit. so would you run an expensive "high Performance" engine oil and stick with the usual 5-10k service intervals or use the HPR 15 Diesel and change it often cause its free and takes 5 min.

from everything i can find the oil exceedes all specifications required any way and its used in plenty of high boost constant load diesel motors. the only side effect i can see is that the extra detergents will clean up the engine so no harm there.....

thoughts?

Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

Default Re: diesel oil in 1G ??

nothing wrong with diesel oil if its made for modern day engines (like it says). it does have detergents in it tho (well diesel oils used to anyway) i see no problem with running it. i just dont like penrite.

the oil i use in my car is full synthetic oil we use in the new diesels with particulate filters. tho on the bottle it doesnt say its just for diesels.

a diesel is under way more load than a petrol motor. but petrol motors run hotter.
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Use it I do, free oil is free oil, as long as you change it often, shit you can you the Coles brand oil as long as its changed often, it's when it goes to long before changing when it does it's damage, most new diesel oil is very good stuff these days

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic scottreichstein's Avatar

i used diesel oil in mine when i was first getting mine running as i get it free too but i went to a nulon synthetic after that as mine will see mostly racing work but cant see any issues i didnt have any with mine
    RIP st141 died doing what it loved http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater
    1ggte hilux massive 143rwkw http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...724&highlight=
    corolla sportivo daily LIFT

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

I used/use diesel oil in my 4AGE because like the OP I get it for free (Castrol Tection HD), meets API SM so its perfectly safe to use in spark ignition engines.
    I dump it before a track day and fill with something a bit better though, re-fill after with it.

Modern turbo diesel engines are running decent boost with massive compression loads on main and big end bearings so there is no reason why you cant use it.
    Its not really designed for high temperature operation though, its pure mineral oil, which is fine, change it every 2500km