Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1uz aftermarket ignition ecu?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1uz aftermarket ignition ecu?

Hello
    I have a 1uzfe v8 in my 34 which I intend to run exclusively on LPG, to do this I need a stand alone ecu for the ignition system which will accept the crank and cam sensor VR inputs and can be programmed to advance initial timing beyond the stock 10 degrees and allow me to tailor a map for ignition control, so it will need to accept TPS and a MAP sensor for load I will be running a gas "carb" (either an Impco 425 or a GRA 510) in place of the original TB. (Im after around 500 CFM air)

The wiring that came with the motor is knackered to put it bluntly as the plugs for the coils among others fell apart in my hands and many of the wires are crusty.
    Also the ignition map will not perform at its peak with LPG. Not to mention half the wires will not be needed and the plug to power the ecu is missing so why not make a system to suit my application? I intend to use the existing ecu only for the auto and TC lockup control, and have a GPS speedo and independant instruments

I have looked at numerous sites for megasquirt, haltech and wolf and have only become more confused so I would like some suggestions as per which particular unit would be best for my application - I expect to spend not more than $1K

Cheers

Rob

Cressidaspert Carport Converter andrew_mx83's Avatar

Default Re: 1uz aftermarket ignition ecu?

Im in the process of doing a megajolt programmable waste spark setup on my dedicated gas 7m, it looks to be the business and not too costly
    There is no substitute for PUBIC inches

Never late in an x8

Yeah I have just been looking at the four coil setup on the megasquirt site, waste spark would be animprovement . Would the unit you have be compatible with the magnetic cam sensors on the 1uz? Is "megajolt" the trade name for the system? Sorry about the trivial questions I am new to this.

Rob

You have to run a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank with a falcon pickup

Google Megajolt lt jr

Never late in an x8

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

I'd skip the Mega Jolt and go for a MegaSquirt kit. You can use it purely as an ignition controller, you just don't wire up the injectors. It will let you use VR, Hall sensor or optical triggers, plus will give you a nice amount of features you could use for other purposes. You can get a MegaSquirt 1 PCB3.0 for US$207 (http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ase-p-108.html) or a the more feature filled MegaSquirt 2 PCB3.0 for US$278 (http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ase-p-119.html)

It's a bit overkill for just an ignition controller, but it's cheap and gives you a lot of options.

Thanks, I have emailed the Megasquirt guys with the enquiry re the MS2's capability to handle two distributors, I looked at the megajolt but it needs a custom made chopper wheel for one 8 cylinder distributorless system; unless someone here makes a custom wheel or there is a 36-1 crankshaft wheel for a later model engine and a pickup available (which wouldbe the best thing) I could run a pair of 4 coil units and ditch the dissy

Au falcon pickup and ebay or triggerwheels.com for a bolt on rigger wheel.
    Total cost about $20

This time i am going to put a crank pulley in the mill and notch the teeth out and use a neater pickup bracket in the interests of a stock look.

Never late in an x8

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

I quickly searched the msextra forums and found a thread of someone running a 1UZFE on a MS2
    http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewto...=1uzfe#p251419

Should help you

Got an email back from Patrick at Diy, said that one MS2 will work with the twin dissy setup. The cost is similar to having to pay to mill my crank pulley and make a pickup mount, I have a very computer savvy son in law who can assemble the kit. Another option is to make a chopper wheel for each cam, and adapt a pickup from a 4 cylinder for each bank but once again the extra machining is quite expensive - too late in my life to buy a drill mill and do it meself unfortunately! Thanks again I appreciate the alternate ideas. Will see If I can put something together for the forum as I do this modification as it means the fuel system can be gas, carb or anything.

Rob

Open mouth and change feet!
    Cant use LPG so will be going back to ULP and injection. Saw a 36-1 crankshaft trigger wheel on A1A racing site which appears to be slip in swap for the 12 tooth wheel, I just cant get any info whether its a VR type. Assuming its a VR could I use my old crank sensor pickup and run 2x 4 coil packs and wasted spark with a MS2 or 3?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

i was bout to say why waste money modifying to suit the 36-1 crank setup
    buy somehting abit more expensive that will do the job on a factory untouched motor

y not just run the std ecu setup
    unless u didnt get all the elctronics

the latest ms3 can do engine and i doubt they r expensive under 500 bucks which is dirt cheap
    u just have to learn programming

what about the gbox
    u need to have an ecu for it if u are going the 1uz auto

Wiring loom cut, most engine plugs ruined;(I got new inj plugs) some ecu plugs missing, caps and rotors U/S, ignitors, coils unknown engine was full of birds nest and must have been left outside for five years maybe under water! I want wasted spark and reliability,we will be driving long distances. I have got a MV Automatics manual shift controller and a Hurst bang shifter - its a hotrod - always looking for better. Will have ITBs next stage, possibly building a drag only motor to drop in for Nostalgia Drag Meets.
    I have a family member savvy with computer programming.
    The car - I built the chassis and steeled out a bad fibreglass 3 Window coupe body converted it to a cabriolet, set up steering, brakes and suspension, made 2 doors, firewall, bonnet, modified seats and, made my own dash and a whole lot more. I am going to paint it and my wife is sewing the upholstery. I guess I am an individual. I take a while to sort out what I am doing and then do it myself because as they say no one else can do it yourself.
    The 36-1 trigger wheel fits where the original 12 one came off, it will look cleaner and be enclosed. I hope to place pickup in standard possy.

Rob

ok cool
    ive had to fix wiring on a ford 44 single spinner and also a 36 i think
    or so ford from hot rod club up at lithgow way in sydney afew years ago
    they both had 1uzs and were done by someone up at bathurst and always had issues

let me know how u go with mv automatics shift unit
    i think they work ok in a car thats not factory
    pain in the bum when u fit them to cressidas

i did the wiring on the green goliath thats on the bottom front cover of the recent street machine
    was a massive job

No worries, If I could get a stock loom that works for less than all this other stuff I would grab it for now. All I can find is junk with busted plugs everywhere - besides no one has the last plug for the ecu (that I can find ) to hook up the ecu to power; then all the components could be tested. I am pissed off at the moment because I got a guy to make me a fuel tank, told me I had to have it done a certain way then it cost me $600 and did not get to the welding up stage, I could not do it because of a special seam tool no one has , thats what started the LPG saga. I want new or good engine management so I dont get stuck half way across the Nullarbor. That green monster is awesome altho not really my cup of tea you have to admire his individuality.

i find that 90 % of shops who work on stuff to do with conversions are fkt
    they dont ask the customer many questionsand when things are finihsed its not exactly to there liking
    but on the other hand i tell my customers to ask many many questions beore commiting to a shop for work

i have 2 fifty litre drums fool of boxes of random plugs
    unfortunately i dont sel the hard to find ones
    if i do sell people wont pay the 50 bucks for each one heheheeh