Thread: how strong is a 4 speed out of an 83 4wd hilux

Forum Member

Default how strong is a 4 speed out of an 83 4wd hilux

hi all am new to this forum have just brought myself an 83 hilux 4wd am doing a v8 conversion soon was wondering how strong the slandered 4 speed is or is there any way of mating a 2wd 5 speed to the transfer case k am a mechanic by trade was just after anyone that has had experiance before i go pulling my boxes apart
    thanks

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: how strong is a 4 speed out of an 83 4wd hilux

Everyone that i have known that used the 4 speed behind a V8 has stripped the teeth off 3rd gear. The G52 5 speed box is not much better. They normally strip the teeth off the front of the layshaft and the input shaft. Find a W56 five speed box and transfer case that was used in a hilux with the 3RZ engine and use that or a R151 which is stronger again. You will have to use the longer front drive shaft from a hilux with the 5 speed box because the 5 speed box moves the transfer case back 50mm because it is longer, and you will have to shorten your rear tailshaft.

Forum Member

i have just brought a 60 series cruiser 5l 5 speed how hard would it be to put the cruiser box in i can make mounts and such has anyone done this i mainly brought it for the water proofed 5l the truck has been on its roof it is just a thougt

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I dont know how you would go trying to fit the landcruiser gearbox and transfer case. You might have to have a look through the 4WD Action forum or outer limits forum. They have a lot of info on modifying 4 wheel drives. Some landcruisers used the R151 gearbox but i think the transfer case is different to the one used on a hilux. I think the rear tailshaft on a landcruiser is offset to the right hand side so it would hit the fuel tank on a hilux.