Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Wakefield Park Track Day - Friday 8th of March!!

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: Wakefield Park Track Day - Friday 8th of March!!

~29psi "cold" (it was pretty hot down there)

not cold, I just overcooked it a little into the last corner, and stomped a little too hard on the brake pedal
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr2360 View Post
    2nd one of these days I have been to and still dont know what cars you guys are driving?. Didnt get to meet up with any of you. I was in the carports in the 2nd row as the one I was in got taken out from under me. So It was very quite back there with only 4 cars and I was either on the track or fiddling with things/checking the car after another excursion on the dirt. Had another set of wheels with me but kept the old ones on , they are almost slicks now and I think Not holding on as good as they used to. At least I hope thats part of it and not all just me. Have an extensive list of things to work on for the next day, most of which should not be too wallet emptying. Was a great day even if I seemed to be fighting the car all day but its all learning and the car was driven back onto the trailer so alls good.
    Used a full tank and the best part of another 20 L.
    Nearly sharing paint was an interesting first introduction

You'll always see Garth's white 'rolla there, and usually my supra - drop by next time and we can introduce you.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Will do . 1st one I had the Adub and just hung with those guys the whole time.

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

That's the end of the day, after we'd both had another go at it. It was definitely bad when i first drove it, the vibrations were teeth rattling after Greg's first session. I did contribute though - think i found the first flatspot and made it worse, so i'm guessing that's the big one. Both of those look like they've had more than one go though... My effort wasn't small; coming into the fishhook not quite straight, i thought it was a rear i'd grabbed, but had straightened and released it; was actually a front and i was still leaning on it.

I reckon it was Greg who made the other one though; my first session it still had pretty decent front left grip throughout, despite the fact you couldn't see straight from the vibrations. Passengering later with Greg he seemed to be really struggling for front end grip and when i drove it the second time the front left wasn't giving much at all - looking at it afterwards and seeing large areas of metal showing may explain where the grip went, not just due to the reduced load from the vibrations... which by the way i could still feel in my shoulders the next day.

I'm certainly not trying to shift all the blame though, i definitely helped!

Peter, sorry i missed you on the day; i didn't see you before we opened the track, and only then saw the car in pitlane or on the track, never actually saw you to say gday. Will make more of an effort next time, i get caught up a bit as most of the people there i only see at these days, so i do a lot of catching up in between the driving.

Which, by the way, included my first go behind the wheel of an evo; i'm impressed. I was expecting the diff to be clever but the chassis isn't half bad either. Takes a bit of experimenting and learning how the chassis reacts to different inputs but even on shitty no name tyres you could tell the car had a lot of potential. Think it ran a low 11(?) in the one timed session later in the day? Given the car isn't completely sorted in it's current config i was surprised; good tyres and it's a really quick car as is. I'm no longer particularly impressed by fast evo times; I was expecting a fair bit but came away from one drive knowing i'd underestimated it.

Oh but my best effort of the day? A 1:09.93 in the yellow, ITR'd EG Civic; only a tenth off the owner's PB (who isn't actually a cock) and better than he managed on the day, backed up with a 1:09.98. And in my defence, he drove it after me, before it dropped it's load while idling in the pits. Given he was out trying to better the time i'd just set, i think it's safe to say he perhaps wasn't being gentle. At best, i only contributed, like with Greg's tyre...

And other rumours that i'd blown a tyre on something else were completely unfounded. Either way i think my mechanically sympathetic reputation has been left in tatters by gossip and heresay.

The rolla only saw a morning warm up session; second outing felt varying front alignment basically straightaway - sticking my head underneath revealed disintegrated suspension bushes. Figured it was best to park it so i could drive it home before more bits fell out; made it but it was a bit wander-y (and clunky) towards the end. Good news is castor adjustment bushes are now available for me, as they weren't when these went in 9 or 10 years ago.

Next Wakefield day is already less than 2 months away! Remaining days booked for the rest of the year are (may change but unlikely);

10th May
    16th August
    8th November

New thread will be up shortly! As will a few gopro clips, but am waiting for Greg to get back from holidays as my second session in the Supra is on his not mine.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Bugger me you guys did a good number on those slicks!
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

They are definitely dead. Worked out I did 270kms on the track so I can see where the fuel went.

You'd had a few goes at them first hadn't you? And a Carrera Cup car before that? But yeah, don't think Greg was too keen on taking much usable rubber home again. When we get the gopro footage up you can see where some of the rears ended up too.
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Bugger all use from me and came virtually new. They had 3mm tread depth...you vandals

29psi cold is pretty high? 29-31psi hot would be a likely sweet spot.

Sounds like they went out in style at least
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

New thread is up because there's only 7 weeks to go!

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/cru...-10th-may.html

I'll post gopro footage from the other week here when i finish editing and get it uploaded.
    Toymods Club Member

Serious interwebbing issues are causing upload delays, but I got one up before I went away for Easter;

That's me driving the yellow civic with integra type r power, gopro battery goes flat before the end of the session but third flyer is a 1:09.99 and the last one before the (temporary) cooldown is a 1:09.93. Lap timer is on the right but a bit hard to see unless you're on full screen.

I reset the other I uploads before going away but nothing else has completed so they must have failed again.
    Last edited by -GT-; 15-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    Toymods Club Member

Gorilla Industries Conversion King Koffee-Black's Avatar

How fun are those little Hondas huh????
    JZA80 Turbo Time Attack Car - "Gorilla"
    JZA80 Turbo Street Car - "Silver Back"
    Lexus RX350 F Sport "Kid Hauler"
    Vitz - Supercharged "Chimp"
    HDJ80 Landcruiser "Baboon"

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koffee-Black View Post
    How fun are those little Hondas huh????
    Loud, fast and what looks to be a lot of fun
    exxy cars though

Yeah it's a good bit of fun - engine is a screamer too for stock, think it's got extractors and that's it. Pulls fairly hard in something that light. Car is by no means sorted either, it was a temporary suspension solution that has become more permanent - it's lively as, bouncy and not very adjustable, and it doesn't go straight ahead, it's always turning even up the straight, but it makes for fun times. Not sure i'm going to get offered the keys again any time soon though... Oh and Mike just got married too so not sure how likely the new K20A is to be in place for May 10th. Hopefully it's a straight bolt in where the DC2 mill went, but it's a Honda so who knows.

Finally got a few more videos uploaded too!

Greg;

Sorry about the picture quality in the supra, camera was a bit far back on the rear window and getting sun in the top of the lens, so playing havoc with the exposure through the dark cabin and out again. It's about as good as my weak skillz and free editing software can tweak it in 30 secs.
    Last edited by -GT-; 15-04-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    Toymods Club Member

Only allowing 1 embedded video per post just means i'm going to post three times...

Me in the supra;
    Toymods Club Member

And again...

Me in the Evo6;

Hopefully when Greg gets back from his trip he'll upload my other session in his car and a couple more of his.
    Toymods Club Member