Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Changes to Toymods Car Club Membership

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: Changes to Toymods Car Club Membership

Hi,

I went to the Nationals twice. I went to meet up with other people, but really it just turns into a big piss-up, which I might enjoy in my younger days but not anymore. I dont put my cars on the track, drags or motorkhana, and not really interested in watching those events. Show & Shine is a pointless, poorly judged event and most others are not there for that, and considering its a long drive and I miss our traditional family Easter, I see little value in the Nats. But that's me and my perception of the Nats, and I fully understand others see it differently and get great enjoyment and value out of it.

If Vito could organise a multi-day event around ToyotaFest, then I'd attend. It may not have the feel of the Nats, but it would hold more interest to me.

Mega Cruise we all realise, turned into a massive slow event riddled with tools who come along to drive like idiots, and being a Toymods cruise they made the club look bad.

My eyes are shite at night, so I don't go on night cruises.

Regarding cruises... I agree they need to be put up as early as possible so we all have fair notice. I have many family duties and events to go to and the earlier I can book in time the better it is for me.

We run our monthly club meeting at Harry Cafe De Wheels at Parramatta on the 3rd Monday of every month. Most of the Board members attend this, plus the same handful of usual club members. So there seems to be little interest for other people to attend. Not sure why, but that's what happens.

We have put a fair bit of work into getting into the classic scene and we go to the Australia Day MotorFest and Shannons Classic Eastern Creek in August. The MotorFest is free to attend, but we always get the same handful of cars, and the Club pays for entry to Shannons, but we still only get the same handful of people. Sure these events are for the older cars, but if your Toyota is 30years old or older you can attend. Yes, we take the modded classics also. Agree it doesn't help the later built vehicles, but I know a lot of Toymodders have "classic" aged vehicles.

Perhaps smaller events... as suggested like just coffee and donuts, along with a few longer cruises would be more suitable. I don't know the answers and I doubt anyone else does, except we try different things and see how well they are attended.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Conversion King

+1 for Toymods representation at Canberra events like Marques in the Park. Canberra Celica Group always has a decent representation, with a few visitors from Toymods this would explode into the biggest single representation of Japanese cars at the event. Doesn't need to be a Celica either! Last year there was an AE111 along with some Soarers, A70 Supra's as well as the classic Celicas and Corolla coupe.
    The only BRZ there received a LOT of attention and the year before the two AE86's there always had a crowd around them (I watched keenly for a few of people to check out my adub parked next to them), so everyone loves to see 86's. To the younger generation they are the very icon of drifting, which might in turn act as a stepping stone into other motorsports or just car appreciation in general.

I feel there are enough associated track days for now. More family or socially orientated events might go a long way too! Well behaved cruises are fun but still gets kinda monotonous chatting over a CB radio with the infrequent stop or two. How about Toymods looks into things like go-karting or laser-tag (or even paintball!) days? Car related event planned meetings/outings like Top Gear festival where toymodders can meet up for a drink or even just a planned dress code (shirt/hat etc.) so we can spot each other in the crowd. Mix it up a bit and get some exposure too maybe?

Hate to make things more busier for the board members, just throwing out my 2c. I would love nothing more than to be involved and assisting with a club but my personal life right now doesn't allow for any of it, I barely even get time to work on my adub. Right now Toymods is nothing more to me than a time passing exercise whilst I need to be at my desk at work, and a great group of people I hope to catch up with more once I have a working car and more free time. Hoping to support it in the only ways I can; encouraging the spirit of community and paying my dues.
    Last edited by maj; 01-02-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Autodub - 1987 AW11 G-Limited, Dark Blue Mica 4AGZE T-Top 4EAT

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

In regards to Nationals in the past few years it has become fairly family friendly. The core group is still the same but everyone is older some now married/engaged and as a result nowhere near as wild. For instance last year we had an informal dinner on the Saturday night with around 40 people which probably ended around 9-10pm at the latest after that it was up to you whether you continued on back at the Matilda or in the case of many simply got some rest before the drags on Sunday.

The approach to Nationals is not to treat is seriously it is a weekend away to relax if you walk away with a prize or trophy then so be it but if not it's still a great way to spend Easter. IMO people in general get way too anal over the Show and Shine and who wins what etc. If you are only attending because you are worried about trying to win xyz then it probably isn't the event for you. Over the years I've made some great friends at the event and for me the social aspect and catching up with everyone is far more important then any of the events, case in point last year I attended without a Toyota.

Personally I'd echo most peoples sentiments about Megacruise, I only attended on a couple of occasions and it was not a cruise I enjoyed. I prefer a cruise to be somewhere you can stretch the legs of the car a little and away from traffic. 80-100 cars in procession in stop/start traffic isn't my idea of fun. I think the concept is great but the location/route was just not plausible for the number of cars.

Cruise wise I have a few suggestions of locations/routes which are decent and happy to put them forward. Just different variations on known places. Personally I'd like to see a few night cruises run as you can actually enjoy the run instead of getting stuck behind a horsefloat/camry etc.

Shannons Classic Eastern Creek etc are great events but really their appeal is limited to a niche area of the club/Toyota Community, I understand and respect Classics and specifically Classic Celicas are a huge part of Toymods history but the calendar is weighted with events which simply don't attract a broad audience. If I look back at when I first joined the club the big difference is the lack of pure social meets, forgetting cruises I can remember plenty of times where dinners/drinks were held as Castle Hill RSL, some times with barefoot bowling before hand. Go-karting at Picton etc, now while these things still happen with groups from the forums they are no longer Official events like they were in the past which to me suggests the interest is still there.
    If in doubt power out

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Hi Guys and Girls,

Its great to see the discussion progressing but I notice that a lot of the posts are about what Toymods should do to increase attendance at events, rather than being about the new membership system. I think this is great but so we dont loose any good feedback and suggestions I have started a thread for the discussion of just that.

The thread is located here:

Toymods social events suggestion thread

Thanks.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Duct Tape Solves All Conversion King ivandude's Avatar

EDIT - Doh just saw the above post AFTER typing...

I have no comments on the changes to the Toymods Car Club Membership, but the talk of dwindling club interest is worrying. I love the club, it has given me a lot, so just giving a few ideas below for things to help us raise interest/awareness in our club. First thing is that this can only come from increased presence & activity: so actually being OUT and TOGETHER with all our CARS .

One thing we could start doing more regularly - that did have success when done rarely in the past - is to attend the larger meets that are pretty much the heart of the new generation Sydney car scene. I am talking about like the JDMST EOMM or the well known end of month Liverpool meet, to represent our club there. It actually worked a few times in 2010 when we all did have quite a big Toymods turn out to Liverpool on a Saturday night, meeting at the boat shed first. I dont know the technicals like "is this club approved so i can bring my historic plated car" but these meets will work just as well if they are casually organised - it definitely did in the past.

The Toymods Facebook group is quite active and could be used to work in that function on casual meets easily. Most of us are on there, and Facebook can get the message out quickly while some of us dont check the Cruise sub-forum religiously. When I was part of the Supra NSW Club there were plenty of casual threads coming up week to week like "Meet up tonight 8pm, anyone in?". I know for us Sydney dudes both young and old, we all actually know each other through the various friend circles existing. If a couple of us are in, I dont see any troubles for the Sydney Toymods scene to grow a bit. There are younger members on here and everybody wants to take their pride and joy out - we just havent really been too active about it and its gotten long lost & forgotten over 2011/2012.

Im just a small timer on here, it is good to see you big honchos saying things need to change. My first real year with Toymods was 2010 and there was plenty of things going on, it was memorable even. 2011 and 2012 dwindled, but with all this talk I am really looking forward to 2013.

Only a few days ago a new friend of mine on here messaged me and said "When your car is done lets go cruise, not many of the guys on the club seem to go out"
    1982 Soarer MZ11 1JZ-GE VVTi build
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    1981-1985 Z10 Soarer Owners International Group
    Former rides ~~ RA65 '85 Celica ~ MA61 '84 Supra ~ JZA80 '98 Aerotop ~ AE101 '92 Levin Toyo4life

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

maj; I organised a laser tag night last year. i think four? people turned up including myself... shit like that is what makes you not wanna organise stuff.

Also organised a gokarting day last year unofficially, and am planning on doing another this year. and you all know I regularly try to organise beer o'clocks and whatnot. Previously these have been unofficial "non-sanctioned" or whatever you wanna call it where basically I just organised them as a normal person, not as a representative of the club. If there is enough interest then yeah we could maybe start organising events like that as official club events.....

And yeah we are going to start using facebook to better effect now. We started with toyotafest and the zen day, but we will hopefully get all the events covered from now on and help get the word out etc.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Based on the feedback from the Forum community, the Board needs to further discuss some of the finer points of the changes. As such, the Board has decided to keep the current Rep/Posts permissions system in place for a 3 month period (Until May 2013). The old Club members user group will be shut down shortly and any members manually transferred to the new system in the coming days. Any Expired members who haven't renewed on the paypal system will roll back to the Rep/Posts permissions group (if the user qualifies for that group) meaning that access to classifieds & Non-Car will continue until May when the Rep/Post permissions group will be shut down.

The Rep/Posts will be held static, meaning that if you don't qualify when the shut-off occurs, users can't earn the permissions.

Note also that whilst the board needs to discuss certain points, this isn't any indication of a change to what is outlined above. So assume the above is the plan until further notice.

The discussion this change has created is great, and We are taking constructive comments on board for futher discussion.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Read it all and it's done my head in. Can't remember what stuff I was gonna comment on other than a lot of activities suggested don't do us old kuntz much good. Who's gonna get me out of the go kart once I manage to get in??? Laser tag? With my fucked back? Toymods has always been geared towards a young demographic and the few events that crossed over generations were always good but poorly attended at times. It's obvious that I prefer a classic Toyota so I do prefer an event leaning towards the old cars. Stitty's talked me into going to the Nats next year, so that will be interesting.
    I've often espoused the Harry's Cafe thing at Liverpool on a Saturday night ( even though it has moved away slightly from the original classic car/ Hot Rod enthusiast to a sometimes more doof doof oriented turnout). Anyway, I've lost my train of thought so keep up the good work Board members!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Well, that was easier! Great work to all the board. The in-post ads disappeared instantly too, so that's a great bit of work.

Hopefully once the Celica is done, I'll be able to marry up a trip down to Sydney with some form of event, be it cruise, dyno, whatever.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Celica Pilot Conversion King Gold28's Avatar

Classic Celica day or Toyotafest are good events for you to aim for.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer mynameisrodney's Avatar

Paid.

Is it possible to move the toyotafest date around at all? Being on the same weekend every year, I can never make it. There are probably others in the same boat as it is around all the footy grand finals.

Also I understand if the shirts/stubby holders/frisbees etc were making the membership too expensive, but I liked that shit. Maybe have a more expensive membership option which still includes it? I would still pay for it.

Cheers,
    Chris

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

It will still be available to buy separately. It's jut not included as standard in the membership pack anymore.

Don't think the date will change for toyotafest though...
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Glad I noticed the banner announcement today or I might have been left scratching my head as to why I couldn't access certain things anymore. Told myself I would start looking at the feedback section regularly after I was left wondering why there were no new posts in the old forum for about 18 months only to stumble across a forum thread regarding the move to a new forum.
    One thing to note the little blue announcement banner wasn't as promanent as the big yellow banners requesting me to drive 920km's to attend the AGM.

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

dont do away with the points rep system its a good thing even if it just for funs
    Once apon-a-time world famous Photochopper

http://zammothechoppa.deviantart.com/ : )

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

I just paid. I havent been on here in quite a while, life has been so busy! But worth the $30 just for the technical content and classifieds, even if Im not on here much its good to know when Im stuck for info or parts on the celica, Toymods is my go-to place and it almost always pulls through for me.

Speaking of which I should probably update my rides thread... a LOT has been happening! But its such a long story and Im busy piston shopping right now ;-)
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica