Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to Toymods Car Club Membership

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Default Re: Changes to Toymods Car Club Membership

regarding the for sale changes

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    I'd argue that the reduced annual fee (40% cheaper), coupled with online payments would get rid of most of those issues. Sure, the guy who signs up just to sell his $29 AE82 grille is going to have to pay more than he makes from the sale, but those kind of people are the ones who are using the forums purely to flog bits and pieces without contributing to the community. $30 for unlimited For Sale ads to a targeted community is a hell of a lot cheaper than the Trading Post or Carsales.
    Basically what this guy said... Also if you notice, the toyotas for sale section is still open to all, so the community isn't missing out on any potential toyotas there...
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    Basically what this guy said...
    Quote Originally Posted by knightrous View Post
    What attracted me to toymods was the classifieds, and I stayed for the lolz
    Sure, quite a few people sign up, sell stuff and piss off but how many stay? The attraction of being able to trade here no doubt is responsible for quite a few sign ups, some stay, lots dont but they all see your sponsors advertisements and banner ads regardless.
    Whats the ratio of club members vs regular members as it stands?

Seeing as you are a club member I fail to see how this affects you
    Every thread in the non car discussion forum is going to be fucked and the for sale forums will be dead........ except for the people who try sell odds and ends in individual forums?
    Every other thing on the internet that has attempted to charge money for something which was free has failed, nobody has cracked it, what makes you think you will?

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Terra, we've been busy sorting out who is paid up, who's membership has expired, and who has paid but not received their packs yet. I believe river is contacting those people such as yourself. No you won't have to pay twice. And no we aren't planning on running away with everyone's $50 to the cayman islands. We are all busy people and to be brutally honest, we just dropped the ball with the memberships thing this past year. But we are catching up now...
    All good if it's sorted, I'll chase you through the scenic parts of the Caribbean if required to get my $50........

MEA forums charge a membership for selling in the classifieds. The rest of the site is free, but they closed off the classifieds to help stop the one post wonders flogging their stolen parts etc.
    I believe it was generally well received too, but then again, they didn't restrict posting anywhere else.

Dneg you make some good points... Present those points at the AGM

One thing to remember: priority 1 of the forums is to provide a technical database to the club and wider toyota community. Priority 2 is to provide an extra benefit to club members by having a forum for us to make general conversation and organise social events etc.

*The following is my opinion and my opinion only* : Non club members are only and have ever only, been lucky in that toymods did not restrict all discussion to club members only and allow non club members nothing other than viewing rights to the tech sections.

People keep forgetting that these forums are provided by the car club to benefit THE MEMBERS OF THE CAR CLUB. This is not nissansilvia or something, we have a different focus and different priorities.
    Last edited by trdee; 29-01-2013 at 06:06 PM.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....

You cant have one but not the other, its a balancing act. 'You have to get someone inside the shop before you can sell them something'

Toymods has two problems:

1. Memberships are dwindling, nobody goes to track days or events.
    2. Revenue also dwindling, not at critical level but you cant run events to try attract existing and potential members on hopes and dreams.

The first problem is a difficult one, the demographic just is not there any more, we need new members who are interested and keen.
    The second one, not so much. Get River's woman to flash her tits and make a calender? Get some shit off your sponsors and raffle it off? Flog merchandise?

What we need are for people who have a real passion for keeping this club alive to actually come forward and join the board and help us, or at least volunteer to help with the running of events etc. A lot of the older guys on the board no longer have the time to dedicate all their efforts to the club. But nobody ever seems to put their hand up when push comes to shove... So we do what we can.. We are trying to cover for when these people cannot add to the club at all anymore and even less of us are manning the ship. Also people keep underestimating how much it costs to run THE CLUB. It's not just the forums that cost money. There's the insurance, the incorporation fees, affiliation fees. All sorts of shit. At the moment the sponsorship and ads are covering things, but we want to try and make the club and forums both self-sufficient. Otherwise there will be no toymods for anybody....

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

The movement of the Non-Car talk to the Clubhouse section is added benefit to membership.

Terra - In your case, and a few others backdated that far, is the reason these changes are happening. In short the T-shirt supplier the Club used to enjoy discounts from can't provide anymore, and we have been looking for another supplier. However by the looks of things the prices would push memberships up too far or the quality of the shirts was not awesome. Hense We made the call to drop the shirts as part of the pack and passed on the saving in the memberships. I'll PM you.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lambolica View Post
    The movement of the Non-Car talk to the Clubhouse section is added benefit to membership.
    ........so just like INXS these days?

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

The ratio of Club members vs Forum members is approx 90-odd Club members vs 16,000+ forum members.

Of those 90-odd Club members about 7 of us actually run the forums, run the Club and do all the grunt work to keep things going while we work our normal jobs, and spend time with our families.

If you have any issue with what is proposed then get yourselves to the AGM this coming February and put up your hand to join the Board. We're certainly grateful and accepting of any support, and it gives you a chance to get involved, help initiate changes and also see things from our perspective.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Dneg,

Hows get fucked sound ?

Just Kidding but wanted your attention.

The classifieds section has always been of limited access. To post anything other than a car for sale or a wanted thread you needed to be a financial or Privileged member to be able to post. All we have really done is stopped people post whoring to become privileged members so they are able to advertise and made them put their hands in their pockets a little instead.

If people want a free classified there are plenty around and don't tell me most Toymodders don't already use Gumtree or Ebay to look for the stuff they want.

The following is how it works now and is a copy past from the FAQ which has stood unchanged for quite some time:

Only financial members and those who are in the Privileged group are allowed to post in this section of the forum.

The main reasons for the Board deciding to set up this section in that way are as follows:
    1. we are aiming to produce a more technical based forum like the old one started as
    2. we are not offering a free trading post and don't want this forum treated as such
    3. selling of your Toyota (including from non financial members) can be of a benefit to everyone, including the financial members

If you are wanting to have full use of the classifieds, the best suggestions we can offer are:
    1. become a financial member
    2. make a valuable contribution so your reputation goes up

If you have any queries, then please contact the Board.

Privileged status is bestowed upon a user once they achieve 3 milestones:
    1. They have been registered on the forums for over 30 days
    2. They make over 100 posts in the Tech and General sections
    3. The attain a reputation of 40

Privileged users are able to:
    1. Post in the Classifieds sections
    2. Have an avatar

Under the new system a non financial member can still post in the following section of the classifieds:
    * Toyota's for sale,
    * Toyota's Wanted
    * Parts wanted
    * Free Toyota Parts

And in case you missed it in your urge to object, its only starting thread a non financial member cant do, they can still read any thread in the classifieds and post in any of the existing threads. As such they can purchase from any thread or respond to any parts wanted, a Toymods financial member is not losing out on any of his or her Audience.

What we are doing is only very slightly different to what we have now and honestly if we lose the odd member over Classifieds usage then they are not bringing worthy content to the table anyway. So if your only objection is classifieds access I think we can tick that as issue covered and move along.

Andrew_MX83

We hear you being backed into a corner and the pay up quick or lose your access nature of the timing. The board has a few things in discussion and once rubber stamped will post it up here but a grace period is in discussion and is very likely.

General comment,

The harsh reality is that there are 7 people who run this club. There are less than 100 financial members who support it with hard earned dollars and there are 1000's of people who enjoy the benefits of it existance. Those 7 peoples hard work and 90 odd members dollars are all that makes the club possible. The Toymods board is supposed to have 12 members, but we cant fill the positions. Even with 1000's of forum users we cant manage to attract 10 people who are genuinely willing to donate their time and effort on a regular basis to keep the club running. The reality is that we either streamline what we do and make it easier or there will not be enough people sticking around as board members to legally be able to run the club. No club - No Forum. Its a pretty simple concept.

So if this change loses the odd forum user then that's unfortunate but I would much rather see that than close down a club I have personally spent 13 odd years busting my ass to keep running. And for the record yes I am one of the Board members who has had enough and is cutting back.

To those awaiting membership packs,

As an FYI if you are one of the people who is waiting on a membership package and has "recently" joined hang in there till the board contacts you. I cant post it here till its rubber stamped by the rest of the board but I can personally assure you that we are looking out for you and have you in mind. You wont be getting screwed over, and you will be looked after.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    Dneg,

Hows get fucked sound ?

Just Kidding but wanted your attention.
    hahaha 3rd time today so its effects have waned
    When are where is the AGM vito keeps talking about?

February 18. Bull and bush hotel. The announcement is in this same subforum. But nobody ever looks here cos they give no fucks how the club is run until something changes that they don't like....

Rings a bell, probably read it but didnt take notice lol

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I will forgo the equivalent of one medium coffee every day for ten days in order to pay $30 dollars to help support this forum that has been invaluable to me and continues to be a source of good information and amusement.

I've mentioned before that I'm already committed board wise to my kids day care and it would be unfair to promise to do anything right now, but ill put my hand up when that changes.

In the meantime thanks to all of the board members for your time, effort and for making this place work. Anyone who has ever committed on a regular basis to do something out of passion and a willingness to share knows it is no small things.

People whining about a small amount of money might want to think about things they do spend money on vs the time they spend on here and the benefit it provides.

I know not everyone is rolling in cash (I have a half arsed 1st gen so I'm sure not anymore). But really $30 is not a huge sum.

Again, thanks to the people who make this all available to everyone year round.

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

I would like to state my objection to the proposed changes to the forums.

I'm sure most can agree, it is often quite difficult to get to sanctioned events. The car is in pieces, work / family commitments, lack of funds to allow entry / transport etc are all pretty common to us all in one form or another. Being in Victoria, it is even more so, and I can't even begin to imagine the effort those people from WA etc have gone through to try and make it to the likes of Toyotafest. This is why I have previously not been a club member - it is not value for money.

To quote the previous version of the 'advantages of being a club member':
    * Access to the Club House section on the forums. This includes a section for Club Members rides.
    * Reduced Entry Fee to Toymods Dyno Days
    * $10 Discount to Toyotafest Dinner - That's Right Toymods will pay $10 towards your Meal.
    * The ability to purchase all Toymods Merchandise including the Club Vehicle Stickers
    * Reduced exposure to forum based advertising. Financial members are only exposed to the primary forum banner adds. No "in post" or adsence advertising.
    * Greater PM storage - Financial members can hold 2500 Private Messages in their folders.
    * Animated Avatars - Only available to Financial Club members
    * Financial Club Members can also make us of the Forum Albums function to store images for their build threads and posts.

As a non NSW member who has very little chance of being able to make it to the official dyno day, or make use of the discounted dinner at toyota fest, and can't get access to historic rego, it isn't really good value for me. The forum is the only thing that really applies to anyone outside of NSW. If Toymods was a national club, then I wouldn't have an issue, or if it co sponsord other VIC events of another club that shares similar interests, that would be fine too.

With this in mind, why can't there not be an option to pay for full forum user rights, whilst not being a club member?
    I use the forums quite frequently for the tech section, classifieds (buying more than selling), the general car and non car threads, as it allows a great place to solve issues, buy or sell those interesting, hard to find parts for my Toyotas, and interact with other toyota people that I wouldn't normally get to meet due to my location, and discuss anything. Whether that be Toyota related, or your pet, you house, your family, your shit day, or your mountain bike. I'm pretty sure that most would agree that this is the essence of what makes the Toymods forum community great.

Sure, $30 for full club membership is still cheap, but it is a whole lot more expensive for a mexican like me, compared with a Sydney sider.
    And yes, whilst this may make me sound like a complete tight arse, I don't like paying for all of the 'advantages', when I have no option to use them. However, I don't have any issue at all with paying for what I use.

I would be happy to pay $10, $20, or hell, even the full $30 to maintaining this forum, and allowing me full access to it. As long as it went towards the forum, whether that is servers, hosting, the moderators time whatever - I don't care. This forum is something I use, and I would be more than happy to pay for it accordingly, which will of course still be helping out the club, being the aprent of this forum. However, I downright hate the idea of paying for club membership benifits that I can't use.
    Also, I am exactly the kind of member that most clubs tend to hate. A member that never attends or helps out at meetings, events, sponsored competitions, or who contributes anything at all to the club. I wouldn't really be a club member at all.

I obviously can't speak for everyone here, but I really think you would have a far greater reception, and a much better uptake from forum members if you allowed such an option, rather than forcing people to become members of a club they can't attend, or be truly involved in.
    If the ratio of club vs forum members at the moment is 90 to 16000 like suggested, surely a couple of bucks from the majority, or $10 from half of the forum members would be a lot more benificial to the forum, and the club, compared with risking losing a large number of forum members due to forced club enlistment. At risk of sounding like a winger, for $30 to get access to a club that I can't meet with, and access to a forum that loses a heap of members, I would have to seriously consider whether I would remain here. If it was half that cost to keep the forum going with most of the worthwhile members still around, I'd pay it as quick as I could get my credit card out. Surely I'm not that only person who is thinking along these lines.

Asking for (example only) $5 each to keep the forum open, and having 10 or 15000 out of 16000 forum users be happy to pay for it, will do far more to keep this forum going, and the parent club healthy and happy, without tainting it with a heap of people who aren't invovled in the actual club.

That's enough drunken ranting Lee you're probably repeating yourself and making no sense at all, time for bed.
    MA71 - 7MGTE - 340RWHP