Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1jzgte vvti into mz20

Junior Member Grease Monkey JZA20's Avatar

Default 1jzgte vvti into mz20

hey, i was just wanting to know if i would be able to use jza70 engine mounts, as ive been reading grants soarer in zoom and he had to make custom ones on his 2jz vvti because of the oil feed line for the vvti, also would be ble to use the auto bellhousing from the 1jzgte vvti or would i have to source a jza70? are the inlet and exhuast outlet the same as the older version, just to keep in mind if i want to upgrade my plenum/turbo down the track.

thanks, josh

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

Default Re: 1jzgte vvti into mz20

I can only imagine the exhaust outlet is different - single turbo and such.

Are you sure it was the vvti of the 2jz that meant he had to modify the mounts? I know with josh's 2jz ma61 he had to get a little creative with an angle grinder to make room for an oil feed line, which apparently the 1jz doesn't have.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

1JZ-GTE VVTI inlet and exhaust are very differant to the non vvti version.

I'm under the understanding that the turbo manifold is not interchangable (the head is differant on the exhaust side), no idea on the inlet side but at a guess it isn't the same as non vvti.

Cheers
    Wilbo

Forum Sponsor Automotive Encyclopaedia dori dori's Avatar

Josh, we had to make new mounts as the bolt holes for the engine mounts on the VVT-i 2JZ are in a different location (i.e well forward) and wouldn't line up with the JZA70 cross member.

Mine is a MA70 cross member but it wasn't even close. Also the bolt holes were staggered on the VVTi block whereas they are in line on the non VVT block.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the replies, dori dori thanks for the info i was just wanting to know weather the 1jzgte vvti and the 2jzgte vvti were similiar in block design or weather the vvti 1j is similiar to the earlier model? like you id prefer to use jza70 engine mounts, but if i went the custom route like you did dori was it a fairly straight foreward job using the 7m engine mounts?

thanks, josh

Pew Pew Pew! 1st year Apprentice poombah's Avatar

only other thing to possibly consider is the sump. depending on what the 1jz comes out of it might have either a front or rear sump. jza70's have a rear sump 1jz (i _think_ jzz30 do too) whereas your 4 door vehicles with 1jz (mark II and chaser etc) have a front sump version due to different positioning of crossmember/rack etc.. this is front what ive read/seen/heard about so feel free to correct me if im wrong.

ideally id expect you to need a rear sump setup to fix in a mz20, as a front sump would not clear the crossmember (whether you use jza70 or existing with custom mounts). Whether sumps are interchangeable between older 1jz and the new vvti one i dont know, but considering most things arent (intake/exhaust manifolds etc) it might be something worth considering.
    - Russ

'80 kp60 starlet

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

on the plus side if you need a rear sump there are, at any one time, about eleventy billion people around looking to swap their rear sump for a front sump
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

yeah thanks for the hot tip about the sumps , ill probably start the coversion within the next month, so if anybody wants to trade sumps ill let people know when i get the engine, mmm vvti!!!

www.malicious.com.au Automotive Encyclopaedia ReQuieM's Avatar

Definate no on exhaust manifold side. Intake I'm not sure on. My 2 cents.
    Malicious

Illustration, Design, etc... www.malicious.com.au

RIP James Nicol (ViPeR_NiPPleX)...

i got my jza70 crossmember on the weekend, after celebrating me mates 21st, off IRB20 complete with the brakes, does anybody know if the jza70 'brakes' are bigger then the mz20? and also seeing as though its going to be auto for awhile, can i use any 1jz auto bellhousing as they all use the same auto or does it have to be from a jza70?

thanks again
    Last edited by JZA20; 06-06-2006 at 07:53 AM.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

I used JZX81 engine brackets on my JZX100 VVTI motor, just had to use the forward set of bolt holes in the block. All lined up perfectly. I'm not sure what set of holes the JZA70 is meant to use.

You can also use any 1jz auto bellhousing you want.

I'm using a JZA70 R154 on my JZX100 motor.
    Last edited by JP; 06-06-2006 at 09:17 AM.

ok i finally put down a deposit for a 1jz vvti engine, loom & ecu at asian auto spares in slacks creek today. im paying $1600 for the engine package which i think its a good price? its done under 100k's supposedly, comp test showed all cylinders were 10.5 except one was 11.5 the guy said it could be from a valve being open, oil is clean, theres a bit of oxidation on the alloy but i was told this is from the salt used to melt the ice on the roads? anyway heres some pics, let us know what u think.. (camera phone )

p.s. ill be hopefully taking the engine and crossmember out this weekend and fitting the jza70 crossmember.

cheers josh v
    Last edited by JZA20; 22-07-2006 at 03:17 PM.

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

Did you get the MAF aswell?

That engine does look to be quite corroded, probably sat outside in a yard for a fair while in Japan before asian got their hands on it.

Take the valley cover off and check for rust/crap around the coils and plugs. Usually when an engine looks like that on the outside, they've also had water/salt in the plug valley too which makes a real mess, I'd guess the guys would have blown the water/crap out when the removed the plugs to do the compression test.

My VVTI manual runs really well. With 3" exhaust from the turbo and an aftermarket frontmount it's making 0.9 bar boost by 3000ish rpm in 1st and 2nd.

thanks for the info JP, just wondering what MAF is? also do you agree with the comp test results and what the guy said about the vavle being. do u remember what your comp results were? it comes with a 3 month warrenty too...

cheers josh v

i just found this on soarer central

"AFAIK the exhaust ports are different in the VVTi model, so you would need to adapt the manifolds to suit.
    further more, AFAIK the VVTi version of the 1jzgte is mated to a different version of the A340E, which like the 1UZFE, and the 2JZGTE, has a solenoid controlled line pressure. So, if you have an auto, you would also need to swap transmissions.
    In the end, it is much much much more effort than it is worth"

does anybody know if this is true about the gearbox? as i only got my auto rebuilt earlier this year and was planing on using it????