Thread: Attention steering gurus! Celica ra60 steering wandering/ bump steer issues

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Attention steering gurus! Celica ra60 steering wandering/ bump steer issues

hello i have an ra60 which i thought handled okay until i drove it in the wet the other day and it was a nightmare! going over bumps or changes in surface the car would pull either way.

tyres are good with plenty of tread. front balanced last week. new tie rods both sides. i have been playing with the caster and toe in/ out and was wondering if anyone has corrected this on a ra60 or celica before. whether giving it a bit of toe in or adding more castor as the stock caster rods have lots of adjustment.

i know changig toe/castor effects bump steer just looking to be pointed in the right direction.

i know i can just get it wheel aligned but i can afford it atm plus i like to learn things myself.

cheers
    patrick
    Last edited by Pattey21; 28-11-2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Stirring an arse clown who cant follow road rules by subtley conforming them, puts a smile on all my dials

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Attention steering gurus! Celica ra60 steering wandering/ bump steer issues

If it only drove badly in the wet, i would think the tyres are a big contributing factor, even though they have tread, some tyres are just shit in the wet ..

Also unless you have some way of checking your wheel alignment its worth spending the $40 or so to get a front wheel alignment done, will save tyres in the long run & maybe steer better too ..

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Attention steering gurus! Celica ra60 steering wandering/ bump steer issues

Sounds like you might be majorly toed out. But I also concur with the above. You can do all sorts of ghetto alignment tricks and get things good-ish, but why not fork out $40 and get things set exactly as you want.

I'd also jack up the front end and check for looseness in everything. See if you can find any knocks/play in all steering and suspension bits. Tighten/replace as necessary.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.