Thread: Fully imported headache? 1978 Celica/Supra 2.0 L 12-valve SOHC inline-6 engine M-EU

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Fully imported headache? 1978 Celica/Supra 2.0 L 12-valve SOHC inline-6 engine M-EU

First I would like to thank experienced people like lilcrash giving me advice on my search to find something a bit different than a KE70.

Recently on Glumtree I have noticed a fully imported (see above). It seems very cheap indeed.Large lack of pics though. I thought it may not be road legal but it has plates on it.
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ashmo...ack/1005412228

NOT that you would take this for granted. The fact that the auto has pooed itself makes it prime for a 5spd conversion. Does anybody know of a box the goes in and will it effect the ECU?

Also has anybody had an experience with parts for one of these. I would hate to have to go to a small factory on the Chinese/Mongolian border just for simple parts.

Thanks for allowing my post,
    Tim.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Fully imported headache? 1978 Celica/Supra 2.0 L 12-valve SOHC inline-6 engine M

MA40 is certainly different.
    W5x box should fit?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Fully imported headache? 1978 Celica/Supra 2.0 L 12-valve SOHC inline-6 engine M

Bargain in that condition!

At that age the auto would be very basic and probably doenst affect the engine ecu at all.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

If originally manual it would have had a W50, however no reason you couldnt quite easily put any W5x in it.

It should be quite easy to chase up if it is easy to re-rego I would have thought, and my thoughts are that it would be able to be regod.

Also re engine, if the MEU is stuffed then a 5ME will bolt in, and look the same I'm pretty sure if you're after 'stock'

Cheers
    Wilbo

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

I so want that car! I wonder if it's a MA45 or a MA46. MA46 would be nice. Alas no money. No more room and a missus that's about to drop another dependant. Ain't life a bitch.

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

Bargain price.Pity it wasnt in Tassie.W50 will bolt straight in as will 55,58.Converting it to manual would not affect the computer as it runs the old syle analogue setup or go one better and put a 5MGE,7MGE or just go the whole hog and JZ it.Its already a factory six.
    Cheers Brett.

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

M series engine needs a M series bell housing from early cressida or Supra to fit in a W50 so a W55 or 58 from a MKII would be the logical choice.

If the ECU needs a signal, it would only be the inhibitor start/neutral swith which can be bypassed with a loop in the plug.

This car would have an F series diff housing, LSD with big bearing axles and disc brakes, what are you guys waiting for?? Be sure to check it is there before you commit...
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willofan View Post
    M series engine needs a M series bell housing from early cressida or Supra to fit in a W50 so a W55 or 58 from a MKII would be the logical choice.

If the ECU needs a signal, it would only be the inhibitor start/neutral swith which can be bypassed with a loop in the plug.

This car would have an F series diff housing, LSD with big bearing axles and disc brakes, what are you guys waiting for?? Be sure to check it is there before you commit...
    Unless its a MA45 in which case it will most likely have an open T series diff.

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

NICE VIBE Backyard Mechanic marvis's Avatar

So cool!!

Marvis

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

ok so did anyone in here buy it?
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm