Thread: 1.5jz build questions

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Default 1.5jz build questions

Hi all

I am building a 1.5jz for my hitrol( 98 dual cab lux on gu patrol running gear and chassis) I currently have 1jz head, 2jzge block. 2jzgt cp pistons, main and head studs, gt35r turbo with 0.63 rear housing (to spool up quick offroad) aftermarket inlet manifold to name some parts.

I would like to know, will I have to have these pistons cut to clear the valves if I want 264264 cams? I can't find any info anywhere on pistons or valves
    Will my pistons be ok without the squirters, bearing in mind i may have the vehicle in low range for hours or could do large highway trips towing a boat or camper.
    I will be running a large.oil cooler which I will have to organise a thermostat for.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 1.5jz build questions

The degrees of the cams mean nothing its how much lift is there and the timing of the cam. If you are running after market turbo pistons you shouldn't have a problem.

My 1.5jz build was a PITA, but got there in the end 5 times.

You need to double check you head gasket thickness as well.

When it comes to you running low range, there shouldn't be any issues as long as you have a decent radiator and a good oil cooler (might even look at a thermo for it as well) keep in mind jz engines do run hotter than normal anyway.

Also what other mods have you got or do you plan on putting on is turbo choice etc will play a big part in everything as well

Quote Originally Posted by b3n_rix View Post
    The degrees of the cams mean nothing its how much lift is there and the timing of the cam. If you are running after market turbo pistons you shouldn't have a problem.

My 1.5jz build was a PITA, but got there in the end 5 times.

You need to double check you head gasket thickness as well.

When it comes to you running low range, there shouldn't be any issues as long as you have a decent radiator and a good oil cooler (might even look at a thermo for it as well) keep in mind jz engines do run hotter than normal anyway.

Also what other mods have you got or do you plan on putting on is turbo choice etc will play a big part in everything as well
    Turbo is a Garrett GT35R Ar 0.70 front, 0.63 Rear.

Radiator is an Aristo which has had core cleaned with twin 14" thermos, or if i have the room i will fit the hyrdo fan.

Intercooler is water to air with its own thermo fan on its radiator.

I was going to run BC 264 Cams and upgraded springs. I would have to look as to how much lift these have, but i know they arent ridiculously lumpy/ big lift.

Oil Cooler was going to be from a v12 Jaguar HE Soverign - these are about 600mm long, 50mm thick and 150mmish high. have 1" inlets. Crossflow. Also was going to run remote filter bank with two z9's. I have seen somewhere a remote filter fitting for 2jz's.

Head Gasket is only thing i have NFI on.

Cheers.
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Just found cams lift is 8.74mm if that helps
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Forum Member

The 264s should be sweet from what I can remember its the 272s and bigger that need the changes due to the bigger lift.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Anything under 9.0mm is non interference.

Forum Member

not running oil squirters will be alright ....... alot of Datsun guys with 25/30 run no squirters , most aftermarket pistons these days require notching of the pistons or blocking the squirters