Thread: Urgent: MX73 front sway bar dia. required

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Default Urgent: MX73 front sway bar dia. required

Could someone, or preferably multiple someones, do me a huge favour & measure the diameter of their stock MX73 front sway bar please?
    I ordered myself a replacement K-Mac front sway bar for mine the other week, & when I tried to install it it wasn't quite the same as the original one & hit the motor (1JZ as opposed to the old 5M). So I got in touch with them & sent it back to have it checked, & now I have Kevin (the owner) trying to tell me that the reason id doesn't fit is because of the 1J & the fact the K-Mac bar is a whole 4mm thicker. He reckons the standard bar is only 20mm, but according to my measurements my standard bar is 26mm. So then he's trying to tell me my bar isn't stock & that's why their one's different & doesn't fit.
    I'm thinking that maybe there's a difference between GLi & GLXi bars, mine being a GLXi, & the one they've made the template off a GLi. Even then the still should be the same shape.

So if someone could confirm my measurement I'd really appreciate it.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: Urgent: MX73 front sway bar dia. required

I measured mine at 27mm
    Rear is 16mm

EDIT: Just like to say that besides the LandCrusher, the MX73 has the biggest factory swaybar in the Toyota range.

Oh, and I wouldn't upgrade the front sway bar, I'd upgrade the rear, and just get stiffer springs/shocks for the front.
    Its big enough.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Thanks for that mate!
    I've put the whiteline bar in the rear, & the springs & shocks have been upgraded, but they seem to be as soft as standard (whiteline/dobsons springs F & R, Koni reds front, KYBs rear) and rather than buy all new springs again I figured just a new front bar would be easier/cheaper.
    I do plan on tightening up the koni reds, but it's such a hassle to do I'll wait until I'm doing the brake upgrade so I'm only pulling it all out once.

Even though the K-Mac bar is thinner it is much stiffer, as the stock bar is hollow.

Also, can you confirm whether yours is GLi r or GLXi?

And anyone else with a '73, the more confirmed measurements the better.
    Thanks!

Junior Member Grease Monkey MacroP's Avatar

OK, mine measured at 27mm with my verniers. 85 GLXi MX73.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Are you sure the stock one is hollow?
    I've never tested the '73 but I know the stock MA61 one is solid.
    Damn thing weighs a fair bit.

I've also read that hollow bars are stiffer than solid, but have also read the contrary, so I don't know what to believe.

'86 GLXi btw.
    GLi's are fully imported, and a lot less common than GLXi's, which were all Aus Delivered.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

The stock one is either hollow or aluminium! It was way lighter than the 24mm K-Mac one.
    I don't see how a hollow bar could be stiffer though, although I don't think any swaybars would be truly solid, they'd just be thicker walled tubes, as all the ones I've seen have the ends flattened to accomodate the holes for the links.

As for the K-Mac bar I had that didn't fit, it turns out they sent me an MX60 swaybar instead, so they're remaking a '73 one & sending that, should be here on monday. There'd better not be any problems with that one.....