Thread: Fan consant run connector

Altia ER34 GTT Domestic Engineer JetspeedCamry's Avatar

Default Fan consant run connector

While hunting around at the back of the engine with the wiring loom, i found this little plug. It has 2 wires, (Black w/ red stripes) and a cap on it to "connect" the two together. After disconnecting this little cap, i found that when the key is turned to "Ignition/Run", both thermo fans stay constantly on. Replacing the cap returns the fans to normal "thermo" operation.

Heres a pic of the little plug:

So yeah, just a question as to why this would be needed? What purpose would it serve? Really hot weather?

Cheers.
    Kind Regards,
    Kurt.

1998 ER34 ニッサン スカイラインGT- T
    RB25DET 5 Speed Manual | Blitz SE Return Flow FMIC | Greddy Profec II Spec B BC | Apexi N1 Turbo Back Exhaust

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Default Re: Fan consant run connector

A lot of toyota fans the switch/relay is designed that if the switch dies, or power to relay then the fans turn on. Better than not having them run at all I suppose.

So maybe disconnecting this plug you are somehow cutting power to the relay?
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic STR8 2.8's Avatar

could be a type of check connector, though they usually just have one plug you have to short.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

yeah toyota fan switches run a normally closed switch, therefore if the switch fails, the fans come on automatically by default - a safety thing i guess...

id leave the plug connected. I think you'll find, if you have that connected, then disconnect the thermofan sensor plug, they'll turn on constant too...if that all makes sense??

Blake

Altia ER34 GTT Domestic Engineer JetspeedCamry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbos_Toyotas
    yeah toyota fan switches run a normally closed switch, therefore if the switch fails, the fans come on automatically by default - a safety thing i guess...

id leave the plug connected. I think you'll find, if you have that connected, then disconnect the thermofan sensor plug, they'll turn on constant too...if that all makes sense??

Blake
    Yea makes sense. Good engineering to have a failsafe in there! And yea, its connected (or else the fans run constant!) so just wanted to know what it was!
    Kind Regards,
    Kurt.

1998 ER34 ニッサン スカイラインGT- T
    RB25DET 5 Speed Manual | Blitz SE Return Flow FMIC | Greddy Profec II Spec B BC | Apexi N1 Turbo Back Exhaust