Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bundera r151f deisel lj70 gearbox onto 22r petrol rj70 bundera will it bolt up?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default bundera r151f deisel lj70 gearbox onto 22r petrol rj70 bundera will it bolt up?

has anyone done it or will it not work?

Default Re: bundera r151f deisel lj70 gearbox onto 22r petrol rj70 bundera will it bolt up?

[QUOTE=bundy;1492721]has anyone done it or will it not work?[/QUO
    Last edited by bundy; 24-10-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Default Re: bundera r151f deisel lj70 gearbox onto 22r petrol rj70 bundera will it bolt up?

come on people someone has to know?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

No unfortunately it won't work , do you have a bundera r151 F, I'd swap a g52 for it
    .Dave

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

As Dave has said.. No

But if it came off of the back of a non turbo diesel then you will be looking at a G series so you need to confirm which box you are looking at, Drain plug position is a good way to confirm
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Quote Originally Posted by cambelt View Post
    No unfortunately it won't work , do you have a bundera r151 F, I'd swap a g52 for it
    .Dave
    thanks for the reply do you no the reason of it not working!.is it possible to change bell housings over. i have a g52 in my bundy now . i want to convert it to the stronger r151f.the part i dont understand is that the 2lt non turbo deisel bundera runs a g52 same as mine .but the 2lt turbo runs a r151f how do they get these to fit over the two motors with the same gearbox. so in thoery if g52 fits on 2lt the r151f should fit the 22r.am i missing something .can anyone explain please

Quote Originally Posted by 4th surf View Post
    As Dave has said.. No

But if it came off of the back of a non turbo diesel then you will be looking at a G series so you need to confirm which box you are looking at, Drain plug position is a good way to confirm

Originally Posted by cambelt

.Dave
    thanks for the reply do you no the reason of it not working!.is it possible to change bell housings over. i have a g52 in my bundy now . i want to convert it to the stronger r151f.the part i dont understand is that the 2lt non turbo deisel bundera runs a g52 same as mine .but the 2lt turbo runs a r151f how do they get these to fit over the two motors with the same gearbox. so in thoery if g52 fits on 2lt the r151f should fit the 22r.am i missing something .can anyone explain please

They don't make a bellhousing for an R series engine to mate to a R series box unless you wanted to custom design one that's why it won't work. Dump the 22 r for a 3 rz and then you can get a bellhousing to a at it to a R box.
    Dave

[QUOTE=cambelt;1493608]They don't make a bellhousing for an R series engine to mate to a R series box unless you wanted to custom design one that's why it won't work. Dump the 22 r for a 3 rz and then you can get a bellhousing to a at it to a R box.
    Dave[/QUOTE
    This is not entirely true what about the 22ret the turboed 22r motor that has a
    R151f behind it in a hilux but that is 2wd. the reason i want to keep the 22r is because i just rebuilt it and is running beautifully
    Last edited by bundy; 29-10-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: adding

an update i have sourced a 22ret bellhousing just waiting on it. ive measured it all up looks like everything will go together without many issues .i maybe the first person to do it !!!!

Bringing this back from the dead..a really late update..got bellhousing everything bolted up same clutch and all..really happy also put 55% reduction gears in...goes great now..

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

good work mate. another way this could have been done if there was no bellhousing is use an auto bell and adaptor plate. are you turboing the 22re at all?

Good job on the bell housing , was it just the US that had the 22 ret ?
    The R 151 doesn't shift as good as a G52 but is a ton stronger .
    A great mod for the G 52 is to use the gear set out of a late model G 55 hi ace box , wider gears and wider roller bearings .
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by slipway View Post
    good work mate. another way this could have been done if there was no bellhousing is use an auto bell and adaptor plate. are you turboing the 22re at all?
    Thanks mate nah not turboing with the reductions she a beaut...advance adapters actually now make a plate that goes between g52 bell housing and R series box! Marks 4wd adapters now sells them.. it pushes everything back 1 inch tho so a little playing around involved!

Quote Originally Posted by cambelt View Post
    Good job on the bell housing , was it just the US that had the 22 ret ?
    The R 151 doesn't shift as good as a G52 but is a ton stronger .
    A great mod for the G 52 is to use the gear set out of a late model G 55 hi ace box , wider gears and wider roller bearings .
    Dave
    yea mate pretty sure only the usa has them and only years 86-87 so very rare and sort after item...mine seems to shift very well although I did replace 1st 2nd 3rd Synchros rest of box was immaculate cheers rocco...
    Last edited by bundy; 29-05-2014 at 09:37 PM.