Thread: How to lower 1985 Crown

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default How to lower 1985 Crown

Hey guys, I posted this in the crown revival thread, but figured the tech area may be more appropriate.

so after a solid 6 years of service, I finally parted out and sold my (nissan) drift hack. Which has freed up some funds to play with the daily - '85 royal saloon

I've had a bit of a poke about, but can't seem to find much concrete info on how to lower it. Maybe im just useless at the internet, but if anyone can answer my questions or point me in the right direction I'd be most grateful!

What spring/shock combos are people using to lower their crowns? Are coilover conversions possible? I would like to get stupidly low, and coilovers may be handy in fine tuning the height.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: How to lower 1985 Crown

If you want stupid low, have you thought about air bags?

Old School Fan

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Kings sell springs for the Crown, if you want lower than what they have get them to make you a set or heat up a coil with the oxy?

Would rather not do airbags - by stupid low I mean driveable but low as possible.
    Didn't know King Springs make crown springs. Might have to see about some shocks as well, but I'd rather not heat/cut them if I can get away with it

I have come across some sources mentioning that the crowns can use springs from various old holdens and volvos to get even lower, but often the info is conflicting. Anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers again

You can still drive super low if the bags are set up properly. Universal Air Suspension will do a bag that replaces your standard spring by slipping over the shock. There is some work involved with fitting it, but it'll look the goods That plus your spine will love you for it.... As opposed to running static

Old School Fan

Interesting. I will contact UAS and see what they can do! Fitting doesn't worry me too much, my last project was a 1jz into my s13, so airbags shouldn't prove too hard! The only hard part is living in tassie and owning a crown - local parts shops tend to give me blank stares most of the time

I hear you mate. I used to get the same looks here in Adelaide about my 1989 UZS131 Crown

Old School Fan