Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the 2TG/3T hybrid drive??

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default How does the 2TG/3T hybrid drive??

Hi guys, been absent for a while due to domestic issues....however life is getting back to normal and a change of engine in my TA22 is imminent!

I've read lot's and lot's of threads about building a 2t/3t hybrid but how do they compare to a moderately tuned 2tg as far as driving goes? Not read much about actual road habits etc.

Last weekend I built a 1940cc 2T/3T using the 2T block bored out to 89mm. It ran in the workshop ok, long enough to balance the carbs and set ignition timing etc....oil pump is a genuine Toyota uprated 2Tg pump and the oil pressure was fabulous. I gave it a little bit more fuel so it wasn't lean and set idle timing at 8 degrees....at least so it wasn't overly advanced.

I was already for a road test but decided to dip the oil before I went out...glad I did....sump was full of cream sludge and you've guessed it.....the block was porous!

Anyway it's now been sleeved and re-bored to 89mm and it will get rebuilt again next week.

It's lightened and balanced, uprated oil pump, high compression pistons, Group A cams (not sure of duration but much peppier than std) twin Dellorto 45's and a Powerflow header and exhaust system .....basically everything that was on the 2TG transfered over ......

I liked the way the 2tg revved and I hope this new engine has some of that characteristic. Having said that, with std rods it will never go above 7k and even at 7 not for very long! I use it as daily driver and it has to have some longevity!

Any insights of what to expect would really be appreciated as I know there are lot's of them on here!

Default Re: How does the 2TG/3T hybrid drive??

Anyone? (

I know I can expect more torque which will be very welcome but how about bhp gains? I'm guessing 10-12 extra bhp?

Thanks guys.

Well...now I know!

It's great. I've done 750 miles this last week to run it in and I love the torque it has...you can drive really quickly without going above 4k because it pulls so well.
    The last 300 miles were up the motorway today and it really loosened up so I'll start finding out what the top end is like soon.....so far so good!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic toyo-al's Avatar

It's good to hear of what one of these engines are like to drive, by someone who has built and driven it. I'm interested to hear more, once it's all run-in and set up
    '73 TOYOTA Celica TA22 - Project
    '07 SUZUKI DR650 - Adventure Rig
    '77 YAMAHA XT500 - Project

The Drivers' Vault

Quote Originally Posted by toyo-al View Post
    It's good to hear of what one of these engines are like to drive, by someone who has built and driven it. I'm interested to hear more, once it's all run-in and set up
    Hi Al...thanks for your comments.....it's appreciated.

I was really worried that once it was stroked and bored out that it might be a slogger but it isn't.

It seems to have the best of both worlds in that it revs like it did when it was 1588 but it has a huge amount of torque compared to the smaller engine.

My pal has a TA22 with the 18RG engine and it's great for motorways and long cruises but it doesn't have any "urge"....it get's there but in it's own way but I always preferred the more revvy 2TG.

My 2TG had a power band between 5-7k which was fine for having fun but was hard work in traffic and as I average about 9-10k a year it wouldn't last long if it was always used in that powerband.

The 2T/3T hybrid still revs, the block is lighter than the RG and doesn't make the front end top heavy but it pulls like crazy!
    I took her out for a decent thrash this morning and only took it to 6k as it just pulled so strongly and so smoothly up the rev range that there was no need to rev it any harder...boring to some I know... but a blessing really!
    I always knew the 45's and 36mm chokes were a bit big for the 2TG but if I weakened them it caused flat spots but now they are behaving perfectly with the same jetting...driving it feels like it has an ECU....no flat spots, no hesitation and power available instantly......when you press the pedal it is immediately going forward!

It runs really, really well with ignition timing of 9deg BTDC which gives me a total of 32deg at 4k......it runs even better at 15 deg BTDC on idle but that adds too much at the top end....so I need to mod the distributor weights/advance which I will do over time.
    It's a joy to drive in traffic.....no changing gear all the time and yet it's nice knowing she will fly if you want her to...couldn't be happier!

Well.........I could.........when I get a lightened flywheel.....bigger cams......oh dear..........the search goes on!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic toyo-al's Avatar

Sounds like an absolute blast to drive! The one thing I miss most about the 2TG I pulled out of my TA22 is it's willingness to rev and that glorious induction noise from the twin dellorto carbs... What a sound that was!

The modifications really never do stop. I guess it keeps us interested in the project. I'd really love to build a 2TG/3T hybrid one day - to slot into a TA22 of course!

Cheers,
    Al
    '73 TOYOTA Celica TA22 - Project
    '07 SUZUKI DR650 - Adventure Rig
    '77 YAMAHA XT500 - Project

The Drivers' Vault

Hi Al...it IS a blast to drive! Loving it!

It is genuinely the best of both worlds.....the torque is still amazing me. You can drive it in traffic and "forget" about driving and just go with the flow but when you want to go......it revs like crazy!

It is also more economical and I believe that to be the torque....in 1600 guise and the cams it has you had to keep it on the boil and that's not good on fuel.
    I'm loving that you can drive it like a modern "normal" car...yet when the horns come out and the red mist descends you can put a huge smile on your face!

Cheers,
    Brian

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Reading all this make me want to drive my hybrid so bad! Carbies will be jetted soon and I can go for a burn! still need to register my car though! Before I had my 2tg/3t hybrid built to its current spec I had so much fun in my ta22 hybrid! they are an amazing sounding engine! glad your having a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Technigraf View Post
    Reading all this make me want to drive my hybrid so bad! Carbies will be jetted soon and I can go for a burn! still need to register my car though! Before I had my 2tg/3t hybrid built to its current spec I had so much fun in my ta22 hybrid! they are an amazing sounding engine! glad your having a blast!
    Nick...I just know you will love it! It has blown me away......a Sensible Sidney car in traffic and a absolute beast when you want to kill everyone! Enjoy!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

sorry to revive an old thread but was the block made porous because it was bored out too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashh View Post
    sorry to revive an old thread but was the block made porous because it was bored out too far?
    Yes..that's the reason. Apparently about one in four does it.

I suppose with it being a 40 year old block the water jackets corrode and in my case it went through on one cylinder. It wasn't apparent until it ran and it started dumping water in to the oil.
    When it was stripped down no 3 cylinder had a couple of tiny pin holes that had opened up.

Re-sleeving cured it...so far anyway! Engine is now running superbly.

How much did the resleeve + bore cost you out of interest?
    Do you have any power figures?

I might be seriously contemplating this haha

Quote Originally Posted by Ashh View Post
    How much did the resleeve + bore cost you out of interest?
    Do you have any power figures?

I might be seriously contemplating this haha
    Hi....the work was done by a local engineering shop who did a really good job but it was around £400. The sleeves are 3mm thick and they won't go again. It has made a fabulous engine though...torque so Granny can drive it and power at the top end to make you grin like a Demon!

I haven't had it on a rolling road since I got the carbs and cam timing sorted etc but I m guessing at 175-180bhp . In 1600 with high compression pistons it produced 155 and I really do know it's got a lot more power now.

I do hope to get it on rollers this spring but it runs so well that it would only be to see a power figure..it doesn't need tuning on a rolling road.
    Good luck with yours! My pal has done a couple that didn't go porous but I was unlucky.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hey guys/girls iv just installed a 3tgte in my ra40 and wondering if there is a repair book or somthing that can show me where 2 connect all the pipes ie turbo water 2 radiator? or can tell me were i can get the info would be great thanks...

wait you got 150 with just hi comp. pistons on a 2T motor?? Or was that a 2TG.

I'm guessing they were 12:1's or around there?

I'm thinking of putting dual webbers, headers, cam and possibly high comp. pistons in my 2T (single OHC). Any ideas what she'll put out?