Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: MRP 7age/9age 1900cc Stroker Kit

Forum Sponsor Domestic Engineer Bazda's Avatar

Default Re: 7age/9age 1900cc Group Buy!

Adding them is a benefit. For those who dont want to go through the hassle of adding in the squirters. May not be as good as oil squirters but its something!

Having them along with the oil squirters will just aid more oil cooling and there isnt going to be any negative with them there.
    1988 Toyota Levin GTZ 10.88 @ 209.57 340kw
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    www.mrpltd.co.nz - Manon Racing Products
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE
    www.facebook.com/mrpltd - LIKE
    Check out the Toymods Sponsors section for Deals

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Bazda, i realise it's not an easy answer to quantify and there's a lot of 'depends on' in it, but given the tight timeframe i've left myself to make a call on this, what revs would you recommend limiting it too if going NA? Longevity is obviously a variable; let's say i'm looking to not make it explode for a few years of track days. I noted your earlier comment about 'easily/at least 9000rpm', but was there some conservative-ness there allowing for big boosted engines, and Vito in general?

Interested on input from anyone else too; am currently trying to pull together a spec and am starting with the limits of this bottom end and working back from there to see what is achievable, or required to get the most from it. ie if i'm not looking past 9000rpm, cams, comp ratio and valve size need to remain moderate.

Similar question on the 82mm vs 82.5mm; i know it's an old discussion around the web and like above am doing research and reading, will just appreciate people's thoughts. Nick Parker, i'm assuming by the image above of a 82.5mm 16V piston with Atlantic valve cutouts that's you running them? With an SC14?

I do realise how general and difficult to answer these questions are!
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    I noted your earlier comment about 'easily/at least 9000rpm', but was there some conservative-ness there allowing for big boosted engines, and Vito in general?
    I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

here's my point of view (not that it's worth the binary code it's written in.. or hex)

Spool advertise their kit as 10,000rpm / 1000hp capable (no mention of how long for tho lol) and in my mind Bazda's kit has some superior design elements, that is why he's gone to so much trouble after all.(thanks Baz) So with direct comparrison you'd say similar claims could be made. But i'm sure there is a more technical way to quantify potential performance than comparing it to someone elses marketing campain. (not saying spool is b/s)
    With the right supporting mods,block prep, head work, balance, main studs, l/w flywheel, race bearings etc... and a little mechanical sympathy and regular servicing I see no reason it shouldn't last the distance, but limiting it to 9krpm might make it last longer?.

If I were doing N/A, i'd be looking to keep the bore size around 81.5mm. purely to preserve a bit more cylinder wall strength, and to allow a rebore and/or swap to turbo pistons in the future should something like a dropped injector or bad tune/gas grenade the motor, or more power was needed. I'd limit myself to 9-9500rpm, not due to reliability, but more due to cost, as things like dry sumps, massive cams (288+), and other supporting hardware ain't cheap as you probably know. but hey if you can spare the cash I'd love to see the results

Hope you find the info/advise you need.

no doubt Bazda will be able to advise on a more experienced/technical basis. Tho I believe he's heading o/seas very soon so he might be unavailable.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

get some piston speed calculators out, and keep the revs to a number that isnt approaching formula 1 levels of piston speed and you should be right, how about that?
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    get some piston speed calculators out, and keep the revs to a number that isnt approaching formula 1 levels of piston speed and you should be right, how about that?
    Keep in mind that your going to have two overhead camshafts spinning at 4500rpm along with all the valvetrain gear, flywheel, crank pulley, alternator pulley, water pump pulley, clutch disk, pressure plate and input shaft..........
    I would of thought that the valvetrain would be the limiting factor here

nope. valvetrain (with the right mods) is good to over 11,000rpm in the formula atlantic engines. bottom end will be limited well before that i would think..
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

The amount of money required to build a 11,000rpm head that flows enough air at those RPM's would far exceed what this kit costs...... The time on a flowbench alone wouldnt be cheap.
    So realistically, as in money wise, your going to be limited to 9000rpm tops I would imagine?

not really. 2-3k will get you a head built to rev to 10,000rpm. i know because i have a friend with such a head on their engine...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

FACTORY20v Blacktop heads will flow 700hp (only issue is valve springs are to soft for high boost) according to Kelford cams headwork will increase your VE and how it flows main reason to do head work is to help the turbo spool faster (in FI applications) not because it needs to flow more but it doesnt hurt to port match, oversized valves, stronger springs, 5 cut regrind and polish the hell out of it

Forum Member Grease Monkey

not really. 2-3k will get you a head built to rev to 10,000rpm. i know because i have a friend with such a head on their engine...
    $1000 for this as a good starting point.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/eng...alves-cnc.html
    Add in some big cams with matching springs and I think you'll be listening to Kenny Loggins every time you pop out for milk

That said.. 2-3k would get you a nice turbo setup, would it not?

The kit will rev to 10k with no issues if you want it to. It really depends on all the supporting mods you undertake.

ie. main cap supports, dry sump, light weight flywheel setup, very good harmonic balancer on the front, valve train setup etc, well balanced internals.
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Does anyone make a very good harmonic balancer for the A series engines?

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    Does anyone make a very good harmonic balancer for the A series engines?
    I know Ross make them but they are not cheap at all. Around the $500AUD mark.

I am getting in contact with ATI is the USA to see if they can make a run of them.
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw

loves hi RPMS Backyard Mechanic

yes i do.
    yeah it was around that price, and head will definately rev to 10000rpm (engine probably will too, but i keep at a much more reasonable 9500rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by Stolic View Post
    Add in some big cams with matching springs and I think you'll be listening to Kenny Loggins every time you pop out for milk

That said.. 2-3k would get you a nice turbo setup, would it not?
    i pretty much do every time i drive the car...

i didnt want a turbo set up. my cars not about big power, its more about usable power, balance grip and being an obnoxious arse with open trumpets at stupid RPM.

while i cant afford said kit now, ill will be watching for another group buy to get my hands on this awesomness.
    N/A for life...