Thread: RA28 Engine Conversion Help!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default RA28 Engine Conversion Help!!

Hey,

I currently have RA28 Celica with an 18RC, im looking at doing at engine conversion for something that will provide more power and reliability. If possible i want to stick with 4 cylinders as it is going to be a daily driver so i dont want to consume too much fuel. I am on a slight budget and have little to none fabrication experience (however i can get someone to do minor stuff).

Thanks

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: RA28 Engine Conversion Help!!

18rg is the easiest.
    1ggte has been done many times
    Beams 3sge is doable

Essentially, most things can be done with money time and skill in relative proportion.
    18rg is a practical bolt in.
    1ggte is fairly straight forward in various configurations (as long as you don't buy someone else's half finished abomination)
    Other things can be made to fit.

do you have a general idea of how much it will cost to put a 1ggte engine? cause i know i will also have to upgrade the brakes and suspension to suit the heavier 6 cylinder engine.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

You can pick up a complete engine for anywhere between $500-1500 in unknown condition or save yourself the hassle and grab timbosaurus' one in the for sale thread (I wish it had come up six months earlier).
    If you have an ra28 or ra23 you will likely need a ta23 cross member and 1gg mounts. Search stradlaters ra 1ggte conversion guide. I didn't start the conversion on mine (go look at my thread if you'd like to see what buying other people's problems can be like) and I seem to be using different mounts.
    Lots of brake upgrade options, search Rona/pug/lux which is pretty much bolt in. I've got custom mounting brackets to allow series 4 rx7 caliper and mpv vented disc (courtesy of Takai who I think did the hard work figuring the bracket)
    Wiring is an issue as your ecu will be expecting a speedo signal and your factory one is cable. Inline sensor can fix this if Ou want to retain factory dash and cluster or go aftermarket speedo.
    I've still got factory 2 piece tailshaft but some folk say you need a one piece item from an auto (not sure why the difference).
    If you can do the work yourself a few grand plus car will see you right unless the engine/box needs rebuild.
    If you are like me then expect several grand to get wiring and engine mounting/brakes sorted.

From when mine was running on the road last, it is smoother, more powerful and more economical than an 18rg, but really nowhere near as aurally primal.

1ggtes are getting long in the tooth though. As are 3sges in rwd configuration. 3rz seems to be the new thing.
    There are other conversions here too, so just search ra23 and ra28 in the members ride threads. Sheepers has an awesome 1uz conversion.

how bout something like a 4A-GE? worth it?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I'd only go a 4AGE if you have a TA22 due to them being lighter. Try and find an 18RG, minimal work needed to make it fit

Old School Fan