Thread: 2T engine troubles

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

Default 2T engine troubles

Around 2 weeks ago my 22 started to run really shit coming home from work (start backfiring out of the exhaust and carby), it had a weber 32/36 on it that ran fine before this happened, since then ive replaced the fuel filter, points, distributor cap, rotor button, spark plugs and put a brand new weber 38/38 DGES carby on it a few days ago, and now coming home from a mates house it started to do the same problem today and i just made it home, it idles fine most of the time but its a bugger to start (the electric choke isnt connected) but that cant be the problem as ive never run a choke except for the original carby, and when i go to rev it, it hesitates and cant rev smoothly, ive set the ignition timing, points gap and set the carby mixtures and idle right (still has to be re jetted), but once i've warmed up the engine it runs fine (most of the time). Im going to put a new condensor in it tomorrow and maybe a new coil aswell (condensor is only a year old, not sure about the coil).

It must be some electrical as everything fuel related should be fine (except a fuel pump, could that the problem?).

If anyone can help that'd be great, I know im not the best at explaining things so sorry if i confuse anyone!

Cheers,
    Callum

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 2T engine troubles

If it's still running the mechanical fuel pump then this may be the problem as it really sounds like it's running way to rich. Check the oil level and see if it has been "Making oil" by that I mean if the level has been increasing. Also when you pull the dipstick out give it the "sniff test". If the oil smells like petrol then a new fuel pump is at the top of your shopping list
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

hey mate, thanks for tip, i smelt the dip stick and it does smell like fuel, my parents reckon aswell which is good, would i see a performance decrease due to this problem or just heavy fuel consumption?

Generally both as with the fuel pump leak not only are you filling the sump up with petrol but when the engine is running everything gets stirred up so the resultant vapours get sucked into the manifold via the PCV system which pretty much strangles the engine. So new fuel pump and a good oil change (no need to flush the oil eh?) and you should be all good. I'd probably still replace the coil and condensor too so you know that they're done

yeah im defintley replacing the coil and condensor, any chance on knowing where to get another fuel pump? ebay doesnt seem to have any and its to late to call people...

Got your ute back Nath Grease Monkey 75Ta22LT's Avatar

I have a horrible feeling my ol 2T has been disposed of, was left in a mates shed a couple of years ago. I can ask, see if I can get the pump, but you'd have to wait a couple of weeks for me to source, then send it..

Checked for vacuum leaks?

Geez I cant even remember if the dizzy was vacuum advance or centrivical, thinking was vacuum.

Vacuum leak = No advance in timing, sounds pretty close to what your experiencing..

thanks mate but i need a fuel pump asap, i may know a guy who has one lying around, i have checked for vacuum leaks around the inlet manifold and the carby base with carby cleaner and there were no signs of leaks, i have the vacuum advance hooked up but it makes no difference, i never used to have it connected as the pipe was too short but since i put the weber 38 on, it just reaches, i could check for a leak around the distributor vacuum port.

Took a bit of finding in the database that I have but here ya go.. Fuelmiser part no FPM-043 with a RRP of $93. Repco or the like should be able to get one for you

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

Whilst your at it loose the mechanical pump and go to an intake fuel pump, not a hard job if you put your mind too it.
    otherwise I'd look at getting the carb tuned, huge amount of difference a proper tune can do for you
    SR20DET TA23

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Inadequate fuel supply shows at higher rpms. The engine starts, idles & runs fine until it revs up, then it bogs down & almost stops completely when the float bowl gets drained, the fuel supply hasn't meet the engines demand. Letting it idle allows the carb to fill up again, driving or just reving will repeat the cycle.

ive orded a fuel pump from a local car parts store and it should be in my car by tuesday, hopefully it sorts out the problem as i have it booked in for a rejetting and tune on thursday and i cant cancel and the first time i crashed on the way there -.-

anyway thanks everyone one for the help, +rep will be handed out