Thread: Toyota Sera EXY10-ACMGH Turbo Conversion using parts from a 1994 TOYOTA STARLET(EP82)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Toyota Sera EXY10-ACMGH Turbo Conversion using parts from a 1994 TOYOTA STARLET(EP82)

My Toyota Sera currently has a 4E-FTE Engine in her.

So the Second build is on its way.
    1x 1992 TOYOTA SERA (EXY10-ACMGH)
    1x 1994 TOYOTA STARLET (EP82-AGMQY)
    1x extra 5E-FHE High Compression Engine (bottom end Damage I assume)

So the plan is to use The Toyota Starlet Gt (4E-FTE) and marry it up with the Toyota Sera (5E-FHE) to produce a 1.5litre turbo

5E-FHE Bottom End, Crank and Rods.
    3E-Fly Wheel
    4E-FTE sump
    4E-FTE Rocker Cover
    5E-FHE Head (Complete)

Now this is where I need some advice/Help

Do I just replace the 5E-FHE 9.8:1 Pistons for the 4E-FTE 8.2:1 Pistons?

I want a daily driver with more grunt than the 4E-FTE.

So my question's are;

If you where to turbo a 5E-FHE and simply change the pistons from 5E-FHE 9.8:1 Pistons to the 4E-FTE 8.2:1 Pistons.

What will be the difference?
    Will the Turbo spool up quicker than the 4E-FTE in this build?

Will there be more top and bottom end performance?

Since the Difference is 1333cc and 1496cc
    Same bore however 10mm longer stroke 77mm to 87mm
    Can I use the 4E-FTE ECU and it just run by replacing the injectors for 330cc?

I have enough knowledge to get me into trouble but not enough to do it right.
    Correct me If I'm wrong

Don't I just increase the injectors from 295cc by the increase in Capacity.
    1498/1333 = 1.12
    295x1.12 = 331
    Does the ECU assume the size of the injectors (NO-Feedback)
    therefore its opening a percentage of the injector.
    Therefore a larger injector is only needed?

Will the 4E-FTE ECU algorithms to create the fuel maps be applicable?
    What do you guys think is required and why?

Sorry to ask so many questions in 1 post but I am just hungering for knowledge and finally have the luxury of making this desire a hobby.

I have wanted to do this for 10 years but have not had the time.
    My Sera is getting the love she finally deserves.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Toyota Sera EXY10-ACMGH Turbo Conversion using parts from a 1994 TOYOTA STARLET(E

If the ECU from the 4EFTE uses an AFM, stick the whole system on and limit your boost. After getting it engineered and rego'd, buy a tunable ECU that's map sensored, ditch the AFM and factory ECU, upgrade injectors to suit desired horsepower and do skids.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Default Re: Toyota Sera EXY10-ACMGH Turbo Conversion using parts from a 1994 TOYOTA STARLET(E

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster View Post
    If the ECU from the 4EFTE uses an AFM, stick the whole system on and limit your boost. After getting it engineered and rego'd, buy a tunable ECU that's map sensored, ditch the AFM and factory ECU, upgrade injectors to suit desired horsepower and do skids.
    What ECU do you recommend?

I was thinking an APEXI Power FC but since that model is discontinued, was concerned about finding a tuner.

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

all 4E-FTE's i've ever seen use a Map sensor.. i wouldn't think you would need to do too much at all if anything if you really wanted to you can just run a few extra PSI through an adjustable fuel reg -

and i firmly beleive if you are sticking to less than 12psi (kinda limited by the stock boost cut) - the factory fuel map is VERY rich so (many people run 17-18psi with stock ecu and injectors with a boost cut defender)

i would ofcourse get it onto a dyno or even a wide band data logging setup to check if it gets dangerous at all..

a few things i will point out with 4E-FTE's

the stock cr@p turbo manifold is pretty average in #2, and horrible in #3 - causes many problems when people are wanting to up boost and or get a bit more HP out.. - upgrade your manifold, there are a few out there bolt in for the stock turbo - Extreme Engineering Brisbane can fabricate one for you for OEM fitment

and the top mount interwarmer - bin it, normal size front mount (example XR6 turbo cooler's are pretty cheap and decent quality)

other than that you have the right idea - very very common conversion check out www.austarletclub.com

Thanks mattysshop appreciate the advice/info.
    I have taken the car to Consulmotive Engineering. John was really nice I recommend him highly.

He advised me about the inter-cooler location and FMIC is fine but will require an independent bonnet latch support since the inter-cooler is now being situated where the bonnet support was.
    The custom fabricator I got to do the job is talking to john(the engineer) to make sure the bonnet support and inter-cooler support/mounting is legal and safe and maximizes cooling.

Toymods Club Member 1st year Apprentice

MrDoors (aka p6boy I assume?) good to read your posts - it's been a while since I was on ToyMods, now I know I was missing something, I'll have to check back more frequently.

If you're using the 5E head in your hybrid engine, use the valve springs from the 4EFTE as turbo springs are better than n/a springs.
    Or use the 4E head and put the 5EFHE cams into it.

I agree about the exhaust manifold - I've got a stock 4EFTE in my Sera now and the mani already has a tiny crack on the 3rd runner. Apparently just swapping the mani brings boost on sooner.

I'm just jealous that my partner feels the opposite about manuals to your partner

See you on the road one day soon I hope !
    Graham

Hi Guys, just stopped in to give an update on my Sera's progress.
    She is finally done.
    All upgrades completed and on the car.
    She went for an emissions test today and passed with flying colours.
    Now waiting to hear from John (The Engineer) to find out when I can get the final run through to get her an engineering certificate.
    To drive her is amazing she feels and looks so different.
    But she still has all the qualities I fell in love with.
    Getting pretty excited.
    Can't wait till I can drive her again.

Awesome, I just rang John (the Engineer) car is booked in for Thursday morning.
    Looks like I may be getting my Sera on the road before my Birthday. :-)

Getting really excited.
    Only 1 week till I get to drive her again.

Woohoo - well done.

Now if only I can get mine on the road (engine mount issues) we might be able to meet up!

Quote Originally Posted by Grahama View Post
    Woohoo - well done.

Now if only I can get mine on the road (engine mount issues) we might be able to meet up!
    Didn't you drop a 4E-FTE in?

Whats with the engine mount issues.

If you need engine mounts I have some from the starlet GT.
    Let me know what you need may be able to help.

Oh I dropped the car off to the Engineers on Saturday.

Can't wait to get her back.
    Only thing I need now is Aircon gas and she is ready to enjoy.

Good news! I hope you're engineering process is smooth, painless and as cheap as possible

The funny thing about the engine mount is I finally sorted it at 11pm last night! Thanks for the offer - I'll have to remember to ask if/when another mount dies.

So it's back on the road - yes with 4EFTE - but it's making a funny whistling sound which I'm assuming is a boost leak.
    I've tightened a couple of clamps on the intercooler pipe joiners and need to recheck. I just hope I don't have a hole in any silicone joiners. One was rubbing against the battery - clearance is minimal in a couple of areas, but I am having fun working on it.