Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The all new ABV mod for your 4AGZE!!

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Cool The all new ABV mod for your 4AGZE!!

Here's the details of the 'new' ABV mod, courtesy of the late founder of The Pulley Bros. (My respects).

I did this mod in about an hour all up. It closes your ABV harder and faster than the normal ABV mod, as you don't have the boost drop of the intercooler or the lag of the intake tract.
    This would be especially useful for those with front mount intercoolers and the like. Hopefully it will hold the ABV closed longer for those with more boost.

Here's a pic of how to do it. This will suit GZE Corollas, for the MR2, you best check that the location of the fitting doesn't foul anything. The fitting can be anywhere on the pipe that's convenient.

Oh, also be careful you don't damage the gasket either. It's part number 17858-16010 from Toyota. They are available in the country, usually overnight and they are only about $15-ish or so. So it's probably a good idea to get one, just in case.

And a pdf I made of the connections.

http://bayfiles.com/file/uSJb/N9QfWD/NewABVMod.pdf

As for the fuel pressure regulator etc, just plumb it straight into the intake manifold, and T off that line for your boost gauge.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by TERRA Operative; 02-12-2012 at 10:19 PM.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Default Re: The all new ABV mod for your 4AGZE!!

404 on the pdf file Terra

Hotlink protection.... All fixed now.

Low rep 1st year Apprentice

why not just remove the abv valve and fit a blank plate then blank off the hose from the outlet in picture ?

Because then you're trying to suck through the supercharger when off boost.

Terra,

Did you get any more infor on what type of coating is on the s/c rotors and if it would be an easy thing to get recoated by a company ?

Yep, I've found a place that claim they can do it. Once I swap superchargers, I'll be putting them to the test.

I'll be making another thread for that though.

would it be to much to ask for details on material i.e wether its teflon or thae other product you mentioned in the past thread, thickness etc etc so i may also try to source somewhere here in wa to do the same ? I have a couple of s/c's laying around in the garage just now to try it on.

Diserter Domestic Engineer

I know this is an old thread but any chance of reposting the above links? Neither of them seem to work now.

Thanks.

Updated links.

Thanks Terra! How well did this work in the end? Worth the extra effort?

Just confirming you ditch both the ABV and FPR VSV's all together and run them directly from manifold (or most charger) pressure? What other effects does this have on the running of the car and does the ECU need them plugged in to stay happy?
    Last edited by worldwalker; 02-12-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Sure is. The boost comes on quicker and stronger, less boost leak at higher boost levels too, with other things done (3SGTE throttle body, adjustable cam gears, pod filter and cold air induction and 2.5" straight through exhaust) I was able to pull and maintain up to 13PSI on stock pulleys. I kept it to around 11PSI for daily driving.

I've read something conflicting now and I'm doing my best to figure it out without pulling the damn thing apart.

The ABV has a metered spring which maintains a closed state, a vacuum is applied to the diaphragm and opens the ABV to allow the SCer to be bypassed, as the vacuum decreases the spring pushes the ABV to closed. Does the increased pressure applied to the vacuum port then help to hold the ABV closed against increased pressure? I'm assuming this is why the directional valve is removed?

Under normal conditions is the VSV used simply to hold the current pressure in the diaphragm during the initial overrun or does it also act as a forced method of opening the ABV to maintain stock 8psi?

I'm also assuming you've got a T-piece boost controller to control ABV to maintain boost pressure to 11Psi?

Sorry for the newbie questions, just trying to work out exactly how the ABV is functioning and struggling to get the exact details. I'm assuming you can use it to control boost like a waste gate but its actuating like any other ABV/bov on a turbo'd engine.

Thanks.

The ABV is normally closed under spring tension (the Cusco adjustable ones just have a screw in the top to allow you to adjust preload on that spring, like a wastegate or blowoff valve).
    By plumbing it straight to the pipe, it means that the AVB will be closed against the boost pressure with the force of the boost pressure + the spring tension, so the more boost you make, the more it seals shut = no leakage.

The VSV was to control the boost (prevent overboost etc) but we don't need any of that.....

I had no boost controller, as there is no wastegate to control, you increase and decrease boost by changing pulley sizes, (well, after you have optimised the intake flow to get rid of boost drop etc, that's where I gained a few PSI).
    With this mod, all the ABV does is open when the intake is in vacuum to allow air to bypass the supercharger and make for smoother driving. Whenever you are on boost, it is firmly sealed shut.

I think that's how it works. Was a while ago and it's early morning......

Cool thanks for that! (can't keep giving you rep for all the help), that confirms my suspicion.