Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZFE into AE86

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 2AZFE into AE86

Tonight I found some pics I took of that dummy motor I sold you. Sorry I cannot narate them, I cant remember the details.
    Maybe its a 3S flywheel and plate?

http://http://www.razorbackecu.com/Pics/2AZ/

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I thought 2azfe had a unique pattern and you had to oval out the holes to fit a 3s unit? I could be wrong. Its really only taller than an a engine.

Yesterday I test fitted the heater box and found with minimal adjustment I was able to make all the connections possible behind the head. I just need to decide where and what type of heater tap I need to use, still on the fence about the vacuum tap. I also found all my trim and washed it after a tonne of dust had collected over the last 5 years.

I need the trim that covers the taillights, the hatch trim panel, a hatch striker, and the duct between the blower and heater from a non ac car. Also a centre console.

I painted a few more tidbits, and reinstalled the wiper assembly and motor. While doing so I reached inside the bulkhead and discovered a spanner I had long since forgotten. Welcome home 10mm ring open ender. lol. I also put the handbrake lever in place now that I had the plastic tray and rubber boot to go in. Sourced them from an st141 at the wreckers. Interestingly, the st141 handbrake lever would be fine for a drum rear ae86 metinks. It has slightly shorter pull than the jdm kouki one im using.

I painted the brake booster and the plate that goes under it. I had it tested at all clutch and brake and it was working perfectly so I just painted it.

I think I have a ll the vents I need, so Im going to have to try and fit those first, then the dash parts and see whats broken and what isnt. I have brown, navy, tan and black/red interior pieces.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 13-08-2014 at 06:44 AM.

Not a whole lot to report. I removed the exhaust and rubbed it down and painted it high temp metallic silver as it was just beginning to show some surface corrosion where it had been handled. I also die ground the inside of all accessible unions to smooth them out. There were a couple burrs from the cut pipe that needed buzzing off too. I will have a wideband bung fitted to the headers when It goes for correction of the phases.

Ive started collecting handbrake cables from different drum corollas to try and adapt or to check and see what exactly needs doing on the handbrake cable front. I'm planning to have a few of them there to try when I finally get around to stripping the rear drums apart and restoring the internals, Painting what I can, Changing shoes, and drums and cylinders. Just so hopefully I can determine whether I need to go custom. I may yet but if something from a corolla chassis is close then the lengths and the mounting points will all be correct, I might just need to have some thing tweaked at the drum end. We'll See.

I've had an excellent condition cluster surround in black arrive, as well as a stereo console to match in equally fine condition. I still badly need a centre console and brackets, as well as the ac face as mine is broken, and the centre vent behind the ac switches that pumps air all around the other vents.

I also need adm ae86 number plate lights, and a few other smalls from inside. I'd really like some rear seat trims, even if they were just roached ones so I can trace and make my own.

I've also purchased a sick cigweld welder with 350 amps of grunt. Its a 3 phase transmig ec 350 with remote controls. I need to get some gas for it and install a 3 phase plug for it. Then I can do the dozen or so small jobs on the body like welding up cracks or small rust fixes, some bracing, a small amount of seam welding and repair and add some missing threads.

I will have to look at the fuel system soon, and I reckon I will possibly hammer clearance the tank a tiny bit so the surge tank can be mounted up next to it outside the cabin and safely under the car. I have no lines in the car either except for a rear brake line so i will need to sort that out. Ive done it before with 3/8 and hated every second of it, so i think now with 5/16 it should be a little easier. I might need a new bender though as my smaller one ends at 1/4 inch I think.

Not a whole lot to report. I removed the exhaust and rubbed it down and painted it high temp metallic silver as it was just beginning to show some surface corrosion where it had been handled. I also die ground the inside of all accessible unions to smooth them out. There were a couple burrs from the cut pipe that needed buzzing off too. I will have a wideband bung fitted to the headers when It goes for correction of the phases.

Ive started collecting handbrake cables from different drum corollas to try and adapt or to check and see what exactly needs doing on the handbrake cable front. I'm planning to have a few of them there to try when I finally get around to stripping the rear drums apart and restoring the internals, Painting what I can, Changing shoes, and drums and cylinders. Just so hopefully I can determine whether I need to go custom. I may yet but if something from a corolla chassis is close then the lengths and the mounting points will all be correct, I might just need to have some thing tweaked at the drum end. We'll See.

I've had an excellent condition cluster surround in black arrive, as well as a stereo console to match in equally fine condition. I still badly need a centre console and brackets, as well as the ac face as mine is broken, and the centre vent behind the ac switches that pumps air all around the other vents.

I also need adm ae86 number plate lights, and a few other smalls from inside. I'd really like some rear seat trims, even if they were just roached ones so I can trace and make my own.

I've also purchased a sick cigweld welder with 350 amps of grunt. Its a 3 phase transmig ec 350 with remote controls. I need to get some gas for it and install a 3 phase plug for it. Then I can do the dozen or so small jobs on the body like welding up cracks or small rust fixes, some bracing, a small amount of seam welding and repair and add some missing threads.

I will have to look at the fuel system soon, and I reckon I will possibly hammer clearance the tank a tiny bit so the surge tank can be mounted up next to it outside the cabin and safely under the car. I have no lines in the car either except for a rear brake line so i will need to sort that out. Ive done it before with 3/8 and hated every second of it, so i think now with 5/16 it should be a little easier. I might need a new bender though as my smaller one ends at 1/4 inch I think.

I got custom handbrake cables from BHSS-TBS at Capalaba. Not cheap, but they fixed the length error for free.
    Dumb as it seams, I have accidently (twice) got headers made out of phase (Stupid V8 boys). Not 1+4, 2+3 but 1+2 and 3+4. Sounds like a rex, but funny enough they both made awsome power above 5k. The last lot I got changed back to correct phase and it lost power! (became more linear). Both sets were 4:2:1, but for different engines.

I checked my rear brakes out top to bottom the other day.

I was able to rebuild the mx 13 brakes using RA65 rda drums brand new, they needed a small 2x 13mm step put on the outer edge to fit into the drum backing plates.
    The wheel cylinders I fitted are identical in every way except the bore of them, they are ae86 s series type wheel cylinders. Should correct the system hydraulically and mean they work perfect on the jdm ae86 MC I fitted.
    The backing plates and mechanism is all stock mx13 fare. My mate James is sandblasting the plates before re-assembly.
    The shoes are genuine MX/rx ones.
    The handbrake cables are just simply S series AE86 cables. I matched em up against the drum and of the mx cables, and they match perfect. The lengths and plastic retaining beads on the mx cables are way way off fitting the floor of an ae86.
    So overall a pretty low cost reco. All these parts cost me a total of $206 for brand new rear brakes inc machining and making the handbrake work. Shits a win!

I also tested the stock stone tray and found that it fits perfectly around the 2azfe sump and it even covers the oil filter, which is nicely up out of harms way. I must have had a gorilla grip day when I test fitted the oil filter, as I had to buy a filter wrench to remove it, crushed the thing badly gripping it, I had previously forgotten the washer under the fitting that holds it (I found the washer sitting in a packet of bits I needed to fit). Bit of a waste of a Ryco filter that never saw a drop of oil but thems the brakes.

Need to find stock ae86 fuel lines and fit those before I can do much else. If I can only find the aussie size lines Ill make a 5/16 feed myself, if I can get JDM ones I wont have to.

I've ordered a Facet posiflow lift pump as they quieter than the old type. I figure if its litres per hour comes up 25% short of the hp pump it doesnt matter as long as the hp pump returns to the surge tank first, it should make up for the shortfall.

Got some hammer clearance from the tank and bolted in the surge tank, I labelled all my connections for idiot proof working under the car. noticed the ae71 lines are way different to ae86 as the ae86 lines cross the tunnel for no good reason. I wonder if its worth using those and moving some of the threaded bosses over to mount them where I want to away from the exhaust side.

I need a few adapter fittings, one from 10-12, a couple from 6-8 and 3/16 to 1/4 to make everything connect. I can get them in 2 piece threaded connections from ifs but Im going to look around for one piece connectors so that I don't have any extra joins to fail or leak in the system.

Got my underdash non ac vent in the post, and also found a centre vent that worked, I think its off a ke70, but it fits and works, so fuggit. Dash can go completely together now.

Stock AE86 fuel lines? I ran stock KE70 6mm feed with 4mm return and got near 450hp. For the beams conversion, I used the 6mm feed as a return and bent to fit a MA61 8mm feed line. You could probably make any line from any EFI car fit. I have some Camry 8mm lines lying around. Yes I have seen the cross over you talk about. Cant remember what I did with the trueno cept I put in 8mm copper lines (and later people told me copper is not good for fuel lines).

I have almost finished the lines now, it only took 45 minutes. I just threaded the 5/16 through the small gap from bell housing to body and worked it into place. I left the stock brake line crossing over the tunnel, I think Toyota did the lines this way to allow the easy fitting of a hydro handbrake since the line crosse sover the tunnel right by the handbrake. Being thet the brake line is the only one in the car in that location I just ran the fuel lines along the side of the tunnel ala a ae71. I recyled, cleaned and taped off a 3/16 ae71 breather line so thats taken care of and I just ran the 5/16 feed and return in the same location by the drivers side of the tunnel. There's plenty of room there for them, as they cross back about 60cm further back in the car to get the the usual diff line attachment anyhow, so I just ran them there, it was super easy and fast, the only mistake being I kinked the only bend that I tried to make with the bender on the second line, as I was admittedly lazy about how free the line needed to be to have rang of motion for the bend, anyhow, Its completely formed, I just need to remake it on the bench and to slip the last 5/16 and the recyled 3/16 into the clips. I will spot weld one or two more mounting bosses over on the correct side of the tunnel when the welder gets fired up.

Overall it was pretty straight forward, and compared to the last time I did this, I was a bit of a rookie and chose 3/8 line for some goddamn unknown reason and it was such a pain to do. One thing that made it easier is my propensity to hoard anything useful for future possible use, as I had the engine bay lines from a jdm 86 half cut to raid the jdm line sized retainer clips from that have the 5/16 holes already in the rubber blocks, this makes a big difference to how well it all fits, and how much control you have finishing the bends up in the right places as the hold is much tighter. Should take an hour or so to finish the lines, and I'm waiting on a handful of fittings to come from ebay sellers to connect all the rest of the pumps, and a new lift pump too as I didn't see the point of using a dirty old and really hevy carter lift pum in unknown condition, when every other part of the fuel system is brand spanking new, from the rail to the tank. Oh actually the fuel pressure reg is ols, so maybe I should replace that to satisfy my ocd about perfect fuel. Another fun thing is how awesome IFS are to deal with when buying tube and fittings. Great service usually and always the right ideas.

OK, made a lot of progress on this car.

It now has rear brakes finished off and rebuilt totally. Powder blasted and repainted backing plates, New shoes, S series handbrake cables, and ae86 wheel cylinders. The ra65 drums were machined slightly to fit, and they fit really well. Its bled, and I now have all three pedals connected. The throttle bodies were removed and cleaned and adjusted to work in sync with one another. I fitted new gaskets under them. While they were out I put in the new vvt switch because I stupidly snapped the plug off the old one while moving the motor around a while ago.

I put a different heater pipe on the exhaust side that has the second mounting lug retained and the pipe reoriented differently for rwd. I had just cut off the other one, and it was at risk of shearing off imo.

I filled the diff with oil now that the axles dont need to be removed again, and rotated it to lube the gears.

The fuel system is all connected under the car with the only things remaining to do being to fit some squishy foam to the tank, some rubber to the tank straps, which seems to have gone AWOL, and to saddle in the high pressure pump to something. I had a bracket on it that I decided to ditch because it stuck it out an extra centimetre and space is at a premium there between the chassis rail and the tank. I think I will just saddle it on to the tank strap and put a little protector piece in front of it so its not at risk of any impacts from rocks if I get spastic in some gravel some day. The new fuel reg is on the way. I just bought a cheap little Tomei one, I figured since literally every other piece is new from the tank forwards I needed to use a new part. Plus fuck doing the work to mount anything that's not confirmed working.

I reworked and stabilised the L bracket holding the clutch reservoir as it was a touch bouncy. I just found a small sheet steel piece and modified it slightly to be a brace. The brackets are now painted silver.

So I'm running out of mechanical jobs to do. I might need to turn my attention to fabrication, and make the fan shroud and the air-box soon. I also need to buy some gas and get my welder fired up to do some of the mounting lugs for the fuel lines, and repair a few things to get all the panels buttoned up tightly.

The motor will have to come out and have the oil pickup fitted, at which time I can organise the fuel lines against the firewall. I might even tap out a few extra mm clearance for them.

Id really like a spare ae86 to get bits from. I'm so over chasing them one by one and just dealing with chaos.

I need,

Fuel tank straps, or the rubbers from them.
    A top rad support brace panel.
    Centre console around handbrake.
    Rear seat trims
    Drivers seatbelt
    Fuse box in the bay.
    Rear deck trim
    Dash centre vent

So much progress and work has gone into this thing. I love it.
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Awesome work mate. Keep going!

Thanks guys. Not a lot to report. I have now received the fuel reg, and purchased the padding for the top of the tank. I have done no more since we last spoke as I have been too busy with home life/work lately. I should be back into it soon. I think if Im busy Ill take some of my core flute templates away and have them fabricated, so that's basically the fan shroud and the air box chamber to be built.

Id really like to find a top brace for the radiator support as a spare, so I can cut mine out and make it removable, or maybe I can just cut the piece out when I want to remove the engine and tranny and weld tabs on it to bolt it back in. Meh that'll work.

Done a bit more on this now.

Medicine man came around with his amazing nutsert tool and we mounted a bunch of things like the heater tap, battery box and power feeds. We tested the lights and stripped back the 2azfe Toyota loom for trimming. I'm going to take off the plugs and position them before medicine man comes back and we will be able to wire the engine next time, hopefully this Saturday. I have to decide where to route the wiring away, I might try and pull it through the inlet side somewhere, as I want to weld up the ac holes being near the headers and all.

Was also able to repair a few threads with the nutsert tool and bolt the front end on properly.

The nutsert tool is so good I ordered one of my own, its great.

Nutserts are such a fantastic thing.

How far from running do you think?

1973 TA22

Double post fail

1973 TA22