Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZFE into AE86

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 2AZFE into AE86

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Always look forward to the updates on this beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Yes!
    10char
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Been working on the cooling system, heater and how to control it. Will be using a vacuum controlled heater tap so I can mount it wherever I feel is best.

Got amazing help from Medicine Man with wiring. Also from my friend dave with engineering an airbox solution. Will be making something with a panel filter in the bottom and a removeable lid. Air will be brought in through a large slot under the radiator.

Mancave

I templated the airbox with coreflute today. Its looking pretty cool I reckon. Have enough headroom for even the larger trumpets, and there is only a bit of a clearance required for the Brake Booster Vac Hose, as you can see. Its about 1cm from the firewall, and Ive cut and angle to the lid that will allow it to clear the bonnet better. I can accurately measure it, or give it to Dave to draw the cad file from, so we can have the base bit punched out of aluminium sheet. Ill have to add a coupl of vac ports there, one to feed idle control, and another couple of threaded bosses that will let me fit othe vaccum connections as required.

Looking through the headlight hole that will become the air feed.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Far out man well done! I sold you that dummy motor because it all looked like a too hard basket job! Cant wait to see how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by samkaos View Post
    Far out man well done! I sold you that dummy motor because it all looked like a too hard basket job! Cant wait to see how it goes!
    Sam, yes that was a while ago to say the least. Perseverence on this one will hopefully pay off.

If the engine height is an issue, you could always put small spacers between the chassis and the crossmember. There should be enough slide in the steering column to take up 1-2cm. Run some RCAs to get things back on track. Heaps of people in the states do it.

Quote Originally Posted by samkaos View Post
    If the engine height is an issue, you could always put small spacers between the chassis and the crossmember. There should be enough slide in the steering column to take up 1-2cm. Run some RCAs to get things back on track. Heaps of people in the states do it.
    I actually considered that, but at the very start of the build. I decided that i didnt want to do any mods that would compromise anything in the car as far as handling goes, and I know from previous builds at the right height The LCas are nearly level as it was, with no spacers, so I decided that bonnet clearance is less of a problem than bump steer. Even slanted its really tall and it will always bust the top, but thats ok with me, my last ae71 had an a9x scoop for a while and it didnt really bother me. I didnt get pulled over like that at all. The inlet and engine fit through the raised bit on the dmax style bonnet and I will just need to fab up a cover one day.

I know youve done a lot of conversions Sam, do you know whaere I can find an m16 hole banjo fitting to a 5/8 hose tail? I need one for the heater, and at this point Im considering learning how to silver solder to make it.

Im going to make and install a 10 or 12 mm spacer under the gearbox rubber mount to tilt the engine slightly forwards and aide heater clearance, and that will also have the affect of tilting down the front of the engine a few mm. Beyond that, I should be ok with just a cover.

Ive been templating bits from coreflute to have made in aluminium. I made the radiator shroud yesterday. I also want to fit the doors to the body so I began to tidy up the drivers B piullar that had a typical small rust spot under the rubber seal edge. Thats been welded up a long time ago, so I ground it back and sanded off the epoxy sealer, to flatten it out, then I reapplied a thin coat of it to stop any future rust. I coated inside and out in the clear boatbuilders epoxy, called west system. Ive had great success using this product to lock out moisture and air. I also dremmeled back some weld repairs around the fuel filler and drilled and tapped the bolts out to M8 holes as the M6 holes were fucked. I found a boot, bonnet and fuel door release system complete except for the boot latches, which I need to find. I also found an adm cluster in my parts stash which is great cause I was just about to buy one.

I have a list of parts to find developing. Theres a lot of insignificant bits I dont have. Like the door switches for the interior light or the interior light itself. I think I will make a custom dimmable led light unit for this thing, as the cage will block the light anyhow.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 29-07-2014 at 09:33 AM.

I also removed and painted the drivers seat rails and adapted one of the bolt holes slightly to suit the ae86 pattern. I will be maybe redrilling them to reposition the seat slightly to better suit the cage. Will do the passenger side next time Im in the shed.

subscribed!

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

door switches and interior light should be similar/identical to most toyotas of that era. should be able to pick something up from the wreckers easily enough
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

There is a place near Moss St that sells banjo fittings, cant remember the name.

Today I made a gearbox spacer from 10mm steel plate, removed and painted the pedals, wiper assembly and rusty old radio brackets for under the dash. I also removed the cut down steering column from the car in readiness to fit the new one. I found and washed the heater and blower boxes for under the dash and realised I need to find a non ac vent for in between them. I also noticed i don't have the little plastic tray under the handbrake. I found my good clutch master, stripped it and painted it mettallic silver with high temp paint. I soon will template for some reinforcing panels for the firewall. I will make them from thin steel, but Id like to reinforce where the clutch and brake pedals mount on the firewall I put the car on stands and fitted the gearbox spacer plate. I now have the gearbox at a nice tight 1/4 inch from the tunnel top.. Ill mark the spots where its closest and when the gearbox comes out Ill tap out the metal here and there so Its perfect. The new forward tilt on the motor actually helps with the cearances behind the head and with the front of the motor at the bonnet, It doesnt stick through much at all now with the bonnet installed. It also makes the engine pretty close to parallell with the ground.

It will have the axhaust removed and then painted next time I'm working on it. I have a bunch of hi temp silver paint. Keep it slver as much as possible.

Once I make the firewall reinforcing plates, and the booster is recoed, I can put the clutch, brakes, dash, steering and trim back in. I can bleed the clutch and brakes, Then comes seats. Doors. Fuel system, Tailshaft, ECU and then hopefully it will run. At which time it all comes apart again to be painted inside and out. Then back together for real with glass in, rego and drive it finally. I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel now.

The unknown quantities now are tuning and a map to run it. Also the handbrake cables. Nothing too scary.

Ive also tracked down a few parts from other cars that are the same as sprinter bits.

The plastic tray under the handbrake lever is from an ra65 or st141 rt 142 series also. The non ac duct between blower and heater is the same as ke70, which is great because I have that part on the shelf. Im going to use an airbox from a 3sge celica. It will work the best. The door switches come from an st141 also. Then I just need the ae86 specific hatch striker. Once my parts come from overseas I can bolt the gas struts in the hatch.

One thing that got a bit tighter after jacking the gearbox up was the clearance between slave and steering. It still misses but it might need further work. I should be able to grind the bleeder down more and tighten it with an sst I made which is just a rod that goes into a hole in the side of it. Lets me have a much shorter bleeder nipple.

Once I get the brakes and clutch back in and bled, the heater connected and cooling system sorted 100% I can look at balancing the throttles also and swapping the vvt switch for the unsnapped one I bought. I still need to modify the sump and will probably buy a welder to do so. I just need to relocate the drain. I will have to remark the dipstick. The 2azfe holds 5 litres from a dry fill, so I will have to pour that in and mark it when it settles. Should be interesting. I guess ill just punch a couple of holes in the dispstick for the top and bottom of the range.

I had a look through the interior piles i have. Its looking like I have most of an interior. Its a bit hard to know, I have 2 or 3 of some items and probably am missing others.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Not long now then ay ?
    Once apon-a-time world famous Photochopper

http://zammothechoppa.deviantart.com/ : )