Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZFE into AE86

Junior Member Grease Monkey Rens's Avatar

Default Re: 2AZFE into AE86

Lot of really cool fabrication going on with this project. This is the side i prefer rather than glossy paint and wheels, nice work

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Thanks alot, it will be pretty one day, but not until Im happy with the engineering. Prepped the new fwd setup 2azfe for service in rwd today.

Wondering if anyone has experience delting the oil warmer cooler thingo under the filter. Cant see me wanting to run it, plus the oil filter will sit higher without it.

With the oil cooler warmer, the flange plate for the pipe that comes from higher up on the motor actually had a thread tapped into the hole aswell as the studs, so deleting it is even simpler than making a cover plate ala 20v rwd setup. Silly me went and made a plate from 1/4 inch aluminium plate then noticed that it wasnt required, haha.

So the other connection to the cooler warmer is just a threaded barb the next size up from the upper one. Luckily I had the right tapered brass barbs lying around in the shed so I fitted them up.

Next was removing the cooler warmer itself, which was as simple as one 10mm nut and stud, and the 30mm centre spigot that holds it in.

I guess its really the same as the 5s that went before it, and most people remove those cooler warmers on them without issue, so hopefully its all good.

I also made a more accurate template for my starter spacer plate and delivered it to PRP sheet metal for plasma cutting. While I was there I delivered the phenolic sheet and an itb gasket so that they can make me as many of them as the sheet allows (which will work out to 20, perfectly enough).

I bolted up the box and was able to reach into the starter hole to get a measurement of how far to leave the spigot bearing sticking out (its the double row style). I came up with exactly 12mm, so with a margin of safety I left it hanging out 9.5mm so it wont bind up on the nose of the input shaft.

I also noticed that one time when I knocked over the new motor I snapped the plug off the vvti switch, so Ive ordered a new one ($137 ouch). Needs to be done, oh well. Serves me right for careless reversing.

So I cleaned all the flywheel bolts and the holes they go into, then noticed my loctite was missing. At this point I gave up for the day and went home, via the bolt shop to get some perfect bolts for my engine mounts. Of course I found my loctite at home in my home toolkit, haha.

So tomorrow, I will go past the wreckers and try to find a shorter oil filter spigot so I don't need to modify the stock one and I can fit an oil filter safely. It sits about 1.5 inches higher up out of harms way now that the cooler warmer block is removed. It tidies up the look of the engine a lot on the exhaust side now without all the pipes and junk hanging off it.

I removed any stray fwd related accessories, bolts and hoses and have it back pretty close to a bare bones rwd build now. The heater hoses work out really neat, and really you have a choice about 2 sets of connections with the way the cooler warmer ports work. I'm going to use the standard connections with one shortened and one changed from a nipple to a banjo bolt feed. Keep it all behind the head.

So finally when I get in tomorrow I can bolt up and torque the flywheel and clutch, fit the box, and bolt it up ready and waiting for installation.

I found a couple of slaves that worked floating around the shed too and I also got a trick 90 degree fitting for the clutch line from some shit old kia at the wreckers last time I was there.

Had the filter spigot shortened. Allows for simple deletion of the cooler warmer unit and it elevated the oil filter up well inside the stone tray.

Had some phenolic sheet made into insulated manifold gaskets. Thought it was valid since I am unable to use the stock 20v manifold insulating gasket which is a thick bakelite looking thing.

The dud 2azfe all neglected and hacked at, haha.

Not a lot to report.

Just bought a bosch 984 fuel pump. 168lph and 5 bar. 2azfe injectors need 57psi.

Toymods Board Member Grease Monkey HJ60's Avatar

Look forward to this being finished! - Really interesting to see all the little things you've had to make up for it.

Thanks for the useful info about the MX13 diff, I've got one sitting here with no drums on it (I wish it had come with them )

I knew i needed to baffle it, but now i have a visual image of exactly how to do it! - Did sam mention what diff he pulled the Baffles from ? YR22 ?

Thanks!

Dan

The part number crossover indicates that any f series diff will have the baffles you need.

Sam Q was nice enough to supply me with some new genuine ones for a reasonable price. Ive heard of some people finding mx13 diffs with baffles in them. Might want to look first. Maybe later years had them. The mx13 doesn't show up on toyodiy for me to check.

One thing I forgot to mention was that when mating motor and box I had to tap the spigot bearing in a little further as the clutch plate rubbed on it. I tapped it in about 1.5mm more to clear the roatating disc.

Found a dash with no cracks in it.

Purchased some new lotus style zenki lights.

My 20v ae71 in the mancave.

The mounts powdercoated silver grey metallic

Does anyone in Brisbane have the correct tooling to rethread 2 inch struts for gland nuts?

Ive got an rx-8 to raid bits from. Im using the front seats. A any other ideas?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

What is the centre console like?

FYI, that's no mancave it's a bloody mancavern.

Its got a sweet console but an ae86 is much narrower overall.

Its an 800 square metre mancave, haha.

Soda blasted the throttles. Got all the scaly crud off them.

Junior Member Grease Monkey MattC's Avatar

Just read the whole thread, love your work and drive for perfection. And I have a major case of mancave envy
    Happiness is a warm Celica