Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2AZFE into AE86

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 2AZFE into AE86

Cheers mate, I did 92.5 mph average on the runs.

I could get 89mph in the 20v car but that was better tuned engine wise. I plan to keep working on it till the weather is cooler and then try again in winter. My rear end is taller and softer too and that will help with launches next time.

And someone said why only 107kw? Well the 2002 2azfe is rated at 118kw at the flywheel, and mine makes 107 atw, by the maths thats 9% drivetrain loss, where rwd is known to be closer to 22% average. So if you factor that in, its 130 flywheel kw, which is a real lot for a stock unopened 2azfe motor. My dyno guy was not generous with the numbers either.
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 01-02-2016 at 05:28 AM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Looks like a shithouse dyno tune based on the plot, would probably pick up heaps if you can find someone who can work it all out.

Thankfully I know what I am doing with tuning, its just time consuming. Tuner was highly recommended but played little games, charged a firtune and has no guts and didn't do what he was asked. I just dont think he was up to it if it wasnt some 40 year old tank. He wasnt from Jap circles, which is usually fine, but this time ended up a mistake. I called him up and left a message, told him it drove better before and to call me back, he never did, so Gary Coombes is a wanker, whatever. Car drove better untuned with a map I made up off the top of my head so I've been tuning myself. The real reason the torque peaked three times instead of being a nice bell curve was the vvti not being setup. Now that its more sensibly controlled its a lot different and Im sure I will reap the rewards on track. Do I care enough to go get another tuner involved, no. The way old tuner had it working the vvti would be advancing to 32 degrees at full revs, which would have shut off some top end, so I'm pretty sure the car might pull more peak hp now too just with that alone.

Have done a lot more on the setup now.

Car now uses VE tuning. I also detected a bug in the firmware that stopped ve and vvti actually finding and setting target angles. That was to do with boof head tuner doing a weird job of setting up map spacings. Now that it is reset I have control of vvti and power has returned. I'm busy with work now and I have lost some patience so Im booking it in with the best tuner I know, Rob Novak, to be properly seen to. His job is to research the optimal vvti angles and to tune it properly once and for all.

I have fitted a hall effect sensor to the front left hub that works perfectly as a speed sensor. It runs off the 4 bolts in the back of the hub that hold the rotor in. Ive never had a smoother reading from a speed sensor!

Just picked up a nice BOC mig welder so Ill be fixing a few areas of the car so I can fit the carpet and sound deadening soon.

Ive done a few not awesome repairs back in the day and id like to cut some out and redo them more patiently.

Found this

Then this happened

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Wow, that looks like you removed a lot. Have you got a photo of what you took out?

When I bought the car somebody had cut the lower corners off I guess cause they were rusty. I drilled the last of the spot welds out and removed the remaining two inches of beaver. Since there was rust in the seam I separated the whole thing and rust converted it to make the rust stop expanding. Ill be making a curved metal angle to slip in and weld through and make it stronger as it needs to be.

Heres the remnants of the panel:

Ive already blacksmithed up this piece to repair the screen opening.

Ive actually been enjoying it a surprising amount, I would be doing more today except I neatly got the rear seam done before I ran out of argoshield. Now I need to wait till boc opens to get more.

Still got to weld up the quarter panels, a few floor defects and the windscreen opening.

One awesome revelation, I was watching a youtube channel called restolad, who is a Kiwi guy that does car paint and restorations. He gave a great tip in one of his videos, and that was about finding some of the flexible grinder discs that behave like a tiny linisher, they don't just cut in, they remove plenty of material, but also are easy to control, you can really accurately flatten down welds with just the edge of the disc, or you can lightly skip the surface and essentially do a very minute linishing job to remove the last traces of rust paint or weld. I didn't use them for a while but they were amazing once I got them out and put them to use. 3m green corps, or similar. I got ten of some other brand for 20 bucks delivered from ebay.

No more holes.

Plate inside the left a pillar.

Outside view of said plate

Its welded in.

Stitched and primed, and with reinforcing plates where the floor was weak as piss, and where the tank straps attach.

Forum Member

Looks good. I watched pretty much all of resto lads videos too before I started the rust and dent repairs on my '22, he gives some really good tips and shows how to do a lot of the basic stuff that the other videos just gloss over.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Really like your build a lot, very cool fabrication work. I like your idea of using newer generation, light weight, unstressed, aluminum engines, instead of the more popular and very trusty 4AG’s, and 3S’s. Have had similar thoughts along those lines of dropping a 2GR V6 motor into a TE71 body.

Any reason you chose Silvertop ITB’s instead of Blacktop ones? Is it also to keep torque low in the rev range? How differently would a single throttle body manifold have performed?