Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E30 bmw with 1uz vvti

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default E30 bmw with 1uz vvti

Here is some progress pics so far of my conversion. The car was previously fitted with a turbo 6cyl bmw engine, however, being a "mature " age I decided to go with somthing that had around the same power but was alot nicer to drive. Transmission is a ford T5, not the most robust transmission I know, but fits in the budget I have at present. Adaptor plate is home made matched to original auto bellhousing. Front sump only needs a bit of modification on the pressed steel lower section. Extractors are part way built for rh side, a bit of head scratching needed to make them equal length and fit around the steering shaft! Engine and Transmission mounts all done. Planning on using Link xtreme G4 for management.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: E30 bmw with 1uz vvti

Start a thread in members rides mate and you should see a few replies.

Here are the latest pics of extractors, all pipes in place, tacked ready for the tig!! What a job to get it all around the steering! Quite a lot of swearing involved......

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Hi, Nice work ..

I havent had anything much to do with the VVTI 1UZ, but i would have thought the turbo BMW motor might have been better on the power stakes ?? .. But its certainly nice to have a V8 burble out the back & something different too ..

The motor looks a bit weathered, whats it like inside ..

The BMW M20 6cyl turbo engine I had was last dynoed at 170rwkw, however was probably nearer to 180-190 after some items were fixed after the dyno session. Certainly I could have gone big turbo etc, and there are plenty of M20 bmw 6cyls with 4-500hp, however all out power is not what I want. A balanced car that is reliable and has a nice power curve will be much easier to live with and more enjoyable in the long run.

The vvti 1uz appealed as It's very close to the same weight as the iron-blocked BMW 6 and capable of 180rwkw or more with basic breating mods and a tune. Just enough to have fun with without worrying about breaking diffs, axles etc everytime I nail it! Also Because it's an unleaded car unless I went through rigorous and expensive emissions test I would never be able to get the turbo 6 engineered, whereas the 1uz is no problem at all.

Yes a bit weathered is right! It was in a mates open fronted shed for ages, he bought it for a project years ago and never used it. It is very low km (30-40000), I've had the sump and rocker covers off-it's like new inside! I also bodged up a dizzy to the front of the cam gear temporarily, hooked up a radiator and test ran the engine on LPG from a hose out of a gas bottle to make sure it ran ok..... Very quiet, no noises, and 190psi compression across all cylinders-very healthy! Will clean it all up when everything is set up and finalised.

I certainly agree with you regarding liking low to mid range power on the street & makes for a nice strong feeling package .. Sounds like a good motor, love your method of bench testing the motor you should have put in on youtube ..

How does the motor go with fitement regarding the good old Brake booster & m/cyl on the E30 .. I bought a 2JZGTE half cut to use in my E30 but have changed paths for the moment & the brake booster was certainly going to be a issue with the inline 6cyl Toyota motor ...

Rob ..

Yes brake booster is an issue, will work out what I'm doing with it when I know exactly how much room I have to play with. Will most likely be a non-boosted master cylinder moved over from the original position with remote boosters. I looked at using a 1jz or 2jz would be better for all out power but didn't really tick all the boxes I wanted.

I Hate Being A Carport Converter Clown's Avatar

r3vlimited and e30tech have a heap of idea's when it comes to the whole booster issue.
    GZE AW11, M40b18 e30, 1J cressida

i had to wire up a non vvti 1uz in a bmw 7 years ago
    might have been a 318i so is that an e36

booster is on pass side isnt it well they lengthened the pushrod and bracket for booster and moved the booster forward about 2 or 3 feet
    looked abit dodgey but i guess it worked
    if it wasnt so long ago id have pics but ill double check

looking thru pics above it would sit just infront of the pass side strut tower

Thanks guys, I've seen some dodgy solutions to the booster issue looking around the net! I can't believe what some people think is acceptable to operate your brakes, not that it's that important anyway, stopping is over-rated.......... Will get to that issue when most of the engine fitment issues are sorted. I'm sure it will not take as much time as those extractors, man that was a mission! Radiator brackets have been made and welded in, radiator hoses have been cut and fitted. Tailshaft and the rest of the exhaust next on the list.

Not sure what the best way to go about it is though as i haven't looking into it in depth. But i have seen boot mounted setups etc

markelldawe: where abouts are you from mate? Would be interested in checking it out some time! Also check out the TCCAV meets (http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/vic...-calendar.html)

I'm in Ballarat mate, feel free to PM me and check it out any time.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

oh wow! small world mate!