Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: E30 bmw with 1uz vvti

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: E30 bmw with 1uz vvti

Ah OK good news, seems its only motec, autronic and link can do the unequal trigger lobes.
    Who in melb tunes the link and where is the best place to buy them.
    Dave

I Hate Being A Carport Converter Clown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markelldawe View Post
    Good luck with that, I don't think I've ever had a car that I've left alone......
    Im trying to resist the urge already and I pick it up tomorrow. Nice to drive but quite possibly the slowest car (outside of the stock corolla's) that i've owned.
    GZE AW11, M40b18 e30, 1J cressida

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Have had a reasonably productive week. Have removed the engine loom, made it look nice with convoluted tubing, tape etc and refitted it back where it all should be.
    Moved the master cylinder bellcrank over 72mm towards the L/H side (the original booster mounting bolt spacing) and made up an adaptor plate that mounts the master cylinder without the booster. Lengthened the rod that runs across under the dash and made up a pushrod into the master cylinder. Bonus is the original brakelines all still fit with a little bit of coaxing and bending. This will suffice until I have the $$$ for remote boosters.

Seems to work quite well with a good shove. How do I know? Because I took it for it's first drive as a V8 tonight! Couldn't go too far as the car has no alternator belt yet (Have to work out a tensioner pulley for it), not to mention it has no bonnet or grille! Oh, or a clutch pedal! The one that was in it went with the turbo engine conversion I sold in my spare car. So it was start car in gear and go from there!

Anyone have a spare clutch pedal set up with lines, master cylinder, brake pedal etc?

Everything seems to work, no vibrations or vices, drives very well, I didn't really even notice the lack of power steering.
    And the noise? Awesome!!!!! Just what I wanted it to be, a great note but no drone, even at a constant 60, 80, 100kmh. Seems to really get into it too, a different kind of power to the turbo M20 but I think it's as quick.

Hi,

As i have said & others have said you have done some very nice work on the car, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh one day, its like a V8 M3 E30 ..

Not sure on the VVTI 1UZ motors regarding their alternators mounting if they are the same as the Non VVTI , but on my Non VVTI i used my Alternator top mount as the hanging / pivot point & made up a adjusting bracket ( like a falcon style setup etc ) and bolted it to the bottom mount of the alternator & then to the original engine block mount so i could adjust the belt tension .. ( the bottom mount of my alternator is more robust, but for whatever reason at the time i hung it off the top mount, certainly easier to get to to adjust this way & to date no issues )

Not sure how you lengthened the brake rod under the dash, but if its welded, it will probably be required to be x-rayed ? if you intend on getting it Engineered, i spoke to an engineer years ago about a E30 i was planning on doing, and he would not even let me run remote brake boosters or even remove the factory booster ..

Rob ...
    Last edited by lexsmaz; 22-11-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexsmaz View Post
    Hi,

As i have said & others have said you have done some very nice work on the car, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh one day, its like a V8 M3 E30 ..

Not sure on the VVTI 1UZ motors regarding their alternators mounting if they are the same as the Non VVTI , but on my Non VVTI i used my Alternator top mount as the hanging / pivot point & made up a adjusting bracket ( like a falcon style setup etc ) and bolted it to the bottom mount of the alternator & then to the original engine block mount so i could adjust the belt tension .. ( the bottom mount of my alternator is more robust, but for whatever reason at the time i hung it off the top mount, certainly easier to get to to adjust this way & to date no issues )

Not sure how you lengthened the brake rod under the dash, but if its welded, it will probably be required to be x-rayed ? if you intend on getting it Engineered, i spoke to an engineer years ago about a E30 i was planning on doing, and he would not even let me run remote brake boosters or even remove the factory booster ..

Rob ...
    Thanks for the comments Rob, the rod works in tension so I've made a threaded extension sleeve therefore there is no cutting or welding involved.

Sounds like your engineer was pretty harsh, the one i've spoken too has no issue with remote boosters as long as it's still a dual circuit system.

I like your idea of swinging the alternator to adjust it, I'm sure it can be done as long as there is enough room from the chassis rail. I didn't want to permanently modify any of the tensioners etc as I'm planning on using power steering and A/C down the track.

I'm sure you will see it about one day, as when it's finished I plan on driving it as much as possible! An original factory look is what i'm after, as if it was a V8 E30 M3! I don't know how the BMW guys will take it though.....

Cheers again for the comments, I'm off to the shed to make this alternator work!
    Mark.

I Hate Being A Carport Converter Clown's Avatar

Some of the BMW boys will love it, some wont even talk to you.
    GZE AW11, M40b18 e30, 1J cressida

Ok some updates! I'll post some more pictures soon I promise. I've now got a clutch pedal, which is good news! I've been driving it for around a month, however there is many things that still need finishing off. Many (non critical or safety) items were fitted temporarily with twisted wires, zip ties etc so I could just enjoy driving it and not work on it over the christmas break. These are being addressed one by one so it's getting closer to being finished.

The belt issue was resolved by fitting a/c and p/s pumps, along with drilling out and tapping one of the holes near where the old hydraulic fan pump was and fitting an idler pulley so the original belt could be used. Unfortunately the P/s pump is not healthy, it's very noisey and shudders badly, so I removed the vanes in it for now so at least I can drive it until I'm in a position to get another ps pump. (priorities!)

The air filter is taken care of by a LS1 commodore air box and intake tube, which trimmed up to fit quite nicely.

For a base tune it is not bad,the A/F ratios are reasonable and the timing figures look quite good.

The exhaust worked out quite well, it is a little louder than I'd like but not excessively so, and the bonus is at a constant cruising speed there is no drone at all. The noise is awesome, and it loves to rev, however it is very torquey and will pull away from very low revs in any gear with no fuss.

The brakes are being sorted, one VH40 booster is mounted up behind the LH headlight and the other will be boot mounted.

Am I happy with it? YES, the choice of engine is perfect for the chassis, it has enough power to be fun but not so much that it will be spitting diffs and transmissions all over the place every time I put my foot down! In saying that it does go very well, 1st gear is a bit of a waste at full throttle, and it will turn the tyres when nailed in 2nd on a smooth road. I reckon it would be in the mid 13sec 1/4 mile bracket without any worries, and I do plan to get it to Heathcote park very soon for some fun!

Will post some more pics soon.

Now before I get any comments, anything that does not look finished is NOT finished, it looks awful under here at present but should come up well when all done. I just wanted to get out and start enjoying it!

Hi Mark,

The car's looking good, i really like the look of the early E30's & those wheels really set your's off, Very nice & would be a good package with a nice V8 burble coming out of it too, are you thinking of taking it to the Hanging Rock car show on the 10th of February, massive turn out of cars & yours fits into the age criteria too, would attract a lot of attention, i could park my 1UZ Non VVTI Mazda down next to yours as a comparison for people to look at ..

Rob ..

PS, was it you a few weeks ago that was selling the Recaro interior out of a E30 on ebay, looked veery nice ...

Quote Originally Posted by lexsmaz View Post
    Hi Mark,

The car's looking good, i really like the look of the early E30's & those wheels really set your's off, Very nice & would be a good package with a nice V8 burble coming out of it too, are you thinking of taking it to the Hanging Rock car show on the 10th of February, massive turn out of cars & yours fits into the age criteria too, would attract a lot of attention, i could park my 1UZ Non VVTI Mazda down next to yours as a comparison for people to look at ..

Rob ..

PS, was it you a few weeks ago that was selling the Recaro interior out of a E30 on ebay, looked veery nice ...
    No, wasn't me! Recaro front seats reupholstered in matching tan houndstooth are on the wish list......

Thanks for the comments, I like the earlier E30's too, took me ages to find this one, it's only done 85000km. (It was your typical little old ladies car!)

I have thought about going to hanging rock, I'm on call that weekend but if I get close to finishing things off I may be able to swap. I've never been, everyone says it's a great day!

Wow, 85,000 k's good find ..

The seats were Black leather ones with door trims & rear seats etc & the Guy was in Ballarat which i think is around your arera, hence me pressuming it was you, bit of a wild stab i must agree on my behalf ...

The Hanging Rock event is pretty amazing Cars every where & almost every sort of car you could think of & in the last couple of years they have put an age creteria of 25 years or older so at the moment no VN commodores etc ...

Finally at a stage where I'm not too embarrassed of the engine bay to post photo's! I've finished off the throttle body, made up an adaptor to fit a throttle position sensor and welded on an offset quadrant to tame the throttle a bit at low openings. Have also fitted a new power steering pump and remote booster, steering and brakes are very nice now!
    Only a little bit of wiring to go, idle speed motor to be fitted, oxygen sensors wired in and a little paint around the engine bay and I'll call it almost done! (Oh, and hook up the A/C!)
    I know the engine bay looks a little plain, however I'm going for the OEM look rather than bling.
    I'm still rather impressed with the power and torque, I'm planning a dyno tune and a 1/4 mile run soon to see what it will do. I'm sure it will do a mid to high 13 as it is, plenty quick enough for a reliable fun road car! I'm also still chasing a vvti cam angle sensor. I know you can buy them new, but I'm on a very limited budget!! In saying that the conversion has cost me around $3500 all up, mainly because I've done ALL the work myself and used lots of free or second hand parts. It's unreal how all the little things you never think of add up though...

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Nice ! Looking very factory Mark, so mission accomplished
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I like this alot. Always liked e30s, and this is a nice take one one.

Thanks for the comments guys. I did a few timed 0-100 runs last night, with the 3:9 diff gears it needs two gear changes to get there. However even with me driving it still manages to dip just below 6 secs. Would be quite a bit better if traction was not an issue..... 1/4 mile run at heathcote soon i hope!