Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1uzfe into 98 hilux ln167

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1uzfe into 98 hilux ln167

Hi all well i thought it was about time to start up a thread on my conversion so i bought a stock 1998 hilux 3.0L diesel 4x4 ute broke the motor and 1uz was planned here it is stockstock.JPG
    Last edited by Spyder; 16-07-2012 at 03:07 PM.

Default Re: 1uzfe into 98 hilux ln167

so first a list of parts i needed 92 ls400 1uzfe engine uncut loom missing 4th plug at ecu
    got 4th plug from a camry ecu at pick and payless
    wiring diagram for engine and car chazzi
    cutom bellhousing and h/d clutch setup from dellows (had issues with this kit)
    took them my flex plate and they pressed it on flywheel too
    had g series gbox got stronger r150 trans
    idler pully from 2uz (to remove hydrolic fan from 1uz and gain more clearance for thermo fan)
    2uz acc belt
    remote oil filter kit ls400 variant oil filter was almost touching chazzi
    material to make new engine mounts and crossmember mods
    had to make custom extractors stock headers would not fit
    lots of wiring fuses and relays
    radiator,heater,air hoses
    fuel pump (moved intank got a fp holder out of a petrol 4 runner tank at pick and payless)
    efi fuel lines used existing hardlines
    mate who is a good welder haha

ok here is some pics of the engine and trans outempty.JPGengine.JPGeng out.JPGgbox.JPG

IMG_0276.JPGIMG_0278.JPGIMG_0280.JPGIMG_0286.JPGIMG_0293.JPGok so i sent alternator, starter (under inlet manifold )and a/c unit to be checked by an auto electrician, pulled the hydro fan assembly off the motor and put a pulley and belt from a 2uz got that from toyota, put new plugs nkg iridium bkr6eix and got some nology hotwires from lextreme and put new distribitor caps and rotors rebuilt the power steering pump (i should have done water pump and timing belt but i didnt...) new gaskets on exaust manifold and inlet manifolds
    put a new ecu coolant temp sensor in here are some more pics

ok here is a photo before and after of hydrolic fan removal and 2uz pulley installed2uz pulley installed.JPGhydro fan.JPG

also you must ground a small blue wire at the ecu cant remember which one ill update it again soon otherwise computer will throw a code -54 i think which is hydrolic fan blocked
    Last edited by Spyder; 16-07-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

Hey Spyder

I like the idea of the 1uz in a work horse ute.

What RTA issues are you likely to face with diesel to petrol and 4cyl to V8?? Is there any other engineering required to satisfy the rules?

Look forward to seeing this progress
    Last edited by Willofan; 15-07-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

ok with engine ready i looked at joining the r150 trans to the motor i bought the dellows kit including custom bellhousing,flywheel,press plate,heavy duty clutch,throwout bearing,spigot bearing, clutch fork with adjustable pivot ball , adjustable slave pin and i took the flex plate to them they pushed it on the flywheel for me too here are some pics of the gearbox and kit bellhousing installed.JPGclutch installed.JPGflex plate.JPGr150.JPGr150 end.JPG

hey willofan thanks for the reply

yes i had to pass epa because my motor was from 1992 and car was made in 98 most people use older trucks and dont need the epa test, so if you had 84 model hilux with 92 1uz motor is newer than car you dont need to do a epa test, it was done at perith free and it also had to be engeneered cheers
    Last edited by Spyder; 16-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.

ok next was to prepare engine bay removed all parts/wiring from the diesel and test fit ALso i had to massage the firewall slightly on the pass side shown in pics firewall.JPGtest fit.JPG

ok pushed motor as close to firewall as could with about 10ml clearance at the closest point and the trans had to be moved 25ml forward so made some temprary packing and braces to hold motor in correct postion and marked crossmember for modding used the existing hilux rubber mounts fabbed up some engine mounts out of 12 and 8 ml mild steel here are some pics of the crossmember modded and engine mounts made crossmember mod-1.JPGcrossmember mod-2.JPGcrossmember mod-3.JPGengine mounts tacked up.JPGengine mounts welded and ready for paint.JPG

engine mounts..engine mounts painted and ready.JPGengine mount installed.JPG

after driving the car over some rough terrain i noticed the motor was moving around on the rubber mounts too much for my liking so i redesigned the engine mounts by cutting the hilux mount off the chazzi
    cut the bottom off an old shock absorber and welded to my custom mount bolt through the middle and now it is bulletproof motor does not move at all and 1uz being so smooth i dont get any vibration when driving pics-New engine mount 2.jpg

and i made a way better crossmember out of 12ml plate raised the gearbox about 50mm higher,had room because of bodylift and got about 70mm more clearance (you might need a front tailshaft from a solid axle hilux if you plan to do a diff drop type suspension lift my ifs tailshft universal joints whould not travel to the angle required )crossmember-crossmember.JPGcrossmember 2.jpg and i got the heavy duty transfer mount from locktup solid as a rock now
    Last edited by Spyder; 16-07-2012 at 04:09 PM.

engine mounts>New engine mount.jpg

also i should point out that i had to do a 2 inch body lift to fit the engine under the hood too, ive heard you can do this without a bodylift but it made things alot easier imo, ok so after all that i have engine installed, mounts in and painted crossmember modded and installed, i had to move stabilizer down and cut bracket off chazzi, also the oil filter was too close to chazzi and installed remote oil filter kit and used a z4 filter from supercheap, got the plate for the block from lextreme here is a photo of the setup and i would advise in npt fittings not hose clamps as shown in photo because it leakedremote oil filter setup.jpg ok here is my lower stabilizer bracket picture is not that good and modified sump tacked upstabiliser bracket.JPGmodified sump.JPG
    Last edited by Spyder; 16-07-2012 at 03:35 PM.

ok next i started to connect things up connected aclerator cable

i also had to cut some steel out of the rubber boot bracket between the shifters so it went into 5th easier

ran power steering high press line straight to ifs steering box and got a small trans cooler foir the low press side works great

found a spot for the two igniters the ignitor body must be gounded properly (not just scratched paint)

Ran a couple of earths from battery to block connected the starter motor cable to +.
    ALSO before motor fitment you will need to make sure your starter motor cable to battery is long enough,

and the fuel inlet and return lines are also down low on the passenger side connected those to existing diesel lines with a fuel filter just before manifold (flushed them and petrol tank out with lots of metho then petrol )but i used efi high press fuel line and hose clamps instead of the pinch type clamps that toyota had

the brake vacuum needs to connect to the rear of the manifold i was able to bend the hilux one to fit

also i needed a clutch booster from a landcruiser has a bigger bore and had travel issue with throw out bearing works but not great

i am changing to a stonger clutch setup ill write a thread when i get it sorted
    Last edited by Spyder; 18-07-2012 at 08:54 AM.

ok radiator i ended up using the stock hilux radiator with a 16'' spal fan , its the only one i cold find that would fit fan is 65mm thick it works great but is very loud the hoses were made up from a few holden and ford radiator bends new thermostat too ok this worked ok UNTILL i put the front bar on with whinch and lights and she was getting hot on occation the solution was to fit a threecore aluminium surf radiator as these are a bit longer (might not fit if you dont have a body lift ) got a tridon thermo switch for the fan and wired it to a relay 90c on 80c off part no TFS 100 also ive been told s15 radiators will fit too

ok next i hooked up the afm and air lines to original hilux airbox,i also modded that to take the original toyota 1uz air filter as im told these are the best for it some more picsmotor in a few things connected up.JPGnow fitting the afm.JPGlayout for air lines.JPGair hooked up.JPG