Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1uzfe into 98 hilux ln167

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Lightbulb Re: 1uzfe into 98 hilux ln167

also if anyone has any questions or i missed any steps feel free to chime in

Default Re: 1uzfe into 98 hilux ln167

ok so was waiting for parts to come i decided to put a couple of mechanical gauges in and mounted them on the pillar made a gauge holder with fiberglass and the existing panel put a new temp and volts gauge in pics..my custom gauge holders.JPGmy custom gauge holders 2.JPGgauges installed.JPGgauges installed 2.JPG

ok so i got my tailshafts back, pics before and after back extended 25mm front shortened 25mm
    tailshafts done.JPGtailshafts.JPG

ok next it went to exhaust shop next and had ceramic coated custom headers made with quiet exhaust and 2 ceramic cats (needed to pass epa test)extractors.JPG

also i put two new oxy sensors in to help pass test and still it only just passed

ok so next it was time to join some wires i found a spot the ecu would just squeeze into inbetween the top and bottom glovebox on passenger side i got the wiring diagram for my 92 ls400 1uz from v-eight.com but there are a heap of others at lextreme i just followed the diagram exactly and i needed the 6pin circuit opening relay and made the main in relay with 2 normally open relays

tacho signal - comes from igniter (one of the igniters will have an extra wire this is tach signal its black) ran straight to hilux tacho

tacho- the stock 4 cyl diesel tach did not work so i bought a 4cyl petrol 4 runner cluster from ebay and pulled the tacho out and swapped it into my cluster was really easy only three screws hold the tach in cluster works great!

only problem is that dials are differrent color now so i got some white dials from ebay (not installed yet)

and also tacho i got was from a americain automatic 4 runner with the at indicator lights in the rpm gauge ...Later i wired these to be a shift light

also NSW pin needs 12v start signal as this is the nuetral start switch so it only starts in nuetral or start

just deleted all the trans wiring and didnt need to trick ecu runs fine without auto

Fuel pump also wired this as per diagram Exept i deleted the resistor just before fuel pump i think this is for the 2 speed fuel pump i used a walbro in tank pump and have 49 psi at fuel rail

sorting out the harness.JPGnice neat wiring.JPGwiring.JPG
    Last edited by Spyder; 18-07-2012 at 09:00 AM.

ok well that was about it

but the gearbox i had has automatic 4wd activation i tried to get this to work on a switch but failed i ended up pulling the tranfer off my g52 pulling both transfers down and swapping the planatary gear and input shaft out of the auto activated transfer into my g52 transfer and bolted it up works great pics

trans case bits.JPGchain drive input shaft.JPG

ok here it is finished (for now) later i did a solid axle swap 4 inch lift high steer gear drive transfer with reduction gears and supercharged the engine ill write a new thread for those soon

finished.JPGfinished 2.JPG

any comments questions appreciated hope this helps someone

its my way of giving back as all the info i got was from forums im not a mechanic or lecky good luck

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Little tip for you, Grab an instrument cluster from an RZN167 and that ends the problems there and gives you the factory engine check lamp. I've done a couple of these models but was lucky enough to start with the 3RZ engined model. What I ended up with at the end is as near as you will get to How Toyota should've made the Hilux in the first place. If I remember I can take some pics for you as one is coming in next weekend for some follow up work (sort a couple of bugs and change a couple of minor things the engineer doesn't like, fit a bash plate etc). I find that depending on your choice of tyre size 4.1 diffs are the best
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Thanks for the reply surf and the tip I did try to find one of those but
    I couldn't find one with a 4cyl tach and cable driven speedo in kpr all the wreckers
    Said they hardly get those models maybe I was looking in the wrong spot

I run 4:5:6 diffs ATM with 32s but plannig on 33 or 35s just rebuilt a gear drive transfer with marlin crawler 4:7:1 reduction gears and internals to replace the chain drive transfer

still haven't found a decent clutch setup for it yet as the Dellows heavy dity kit slips when crawling occasionally any info would be appreciated

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

u need a custom clutch setup
    dellows use old school 1 tonner clutches unless they have updated
    so get yr flywheel and clutch setup all of someone who can make it strong enough
    if u cant find correct tacho i jsut get the tacho modified to suit its normally 150 to 200 bucks
    anyway hiux dashes are fkt
    oil pressure gauges is slower than my grandma in her walker
    temp gauge is not very linear but there is a mod

Thanks for the advise dumbass I read somewhere a v6 Hilux flywheel can be made to fit and gives motor a bit more
    Torque

But then where would i get a clutch that will handle the 1uz and reduction gears and will last??

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I've seen somewhere electric modules for controlling the electric motors for the 4wd motors on transfer cases
    Like for surfs and landcruisers

Forum Member Grease Monkey

hey mate who made up those extractors for you?

Quote Originally Posted by KLR16V View Post
    hey mate who made up those extractors for you?

Sureflow exaust ingleburn mate but I would not recommend them welds were crappy and it cost too much 2200$ ceramic coated
    Last edited by Spyder; 27-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Try pro fab Motorsports unit 6-2 Powerdrill rd Hoxton park
    He does custom exaust work engine conversions and more and works on a lot of 4wds see nick