Thread: 18RG transplant into RA60

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 18RG transplant into RA60

Hi all, im a Toymods newby so i hope i've posted in the right section... i've spent hours reading and researching my project and not many have gone this way it appears.
    I have a 1982 RA60, i got half way through replacing the 21rc that has a hole in one of its pistons with a 22RE (minus the EFI, i've converted it back to carb... i know, dont ask...)
    However, midway through i scored a 18RG with the EFI series head & the twin carbs etc.
    Upon trying to mount the 18RG in my RA60's engine bay - i notice the RA23 has a different K-frame setup...
    Im trying to visualise, so bear with me here would it be Silly of me to consider unbolting the swaybar and surrounds in the RA60 (providing boltholes match up) and using a sortof double Kframe.. RA23's wrap around front style, while retaining the standard Ra60 K-frame for my rack and pinion steering - not gonna go backwards in steering design to recirc ball type. Then im not sure how all the suspension components would fit.
    NOW, that i've got your attention.. lol, heres my drama:
    1. Design changed: holes in block for engine mount bolts moved from front of engine (18r) to centre of engine (21r),
    so i try just sliding the 18R back towards centre of car - but then the mid sump fitted to the 18r doesnt clear the standard K-frame. I've located a front sump for it, but before i go any further, i gotta ask:

am i making this harder for myself than i need to, is there an interchangeable oddity with K-frame from another model of Yota im forgetting that is the key?
    Oh, bye the way, YES the plan is to drive it Reg'd in QLD and YES if i dont use the 99% complete 22R, i AM using the 18RG - no ifs and or buts about it, im stubborn like a muel on that matter
    That is unless, a BEAMS 3SGE is easier - its the only alternative id consider, aside from a 3RZ that is. but i've not researched any where near as much on those.
    All insults will be copped with due retaliation where necessary

RA60 REDUX

Toyota Dealer Team Backyard Mechanic Willofan's Avatar

Default Re: 18RG transplant into RA60

Easiest sollution is to fit a front sump and oil pick up from 18r out of a Hilux. Then mod up some engine mounts to suit if they don't line up.
    Rgds, Willofan
    'Growing Old' Beats 'Dying Young' - Drive sensibly and safely
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=54206

Ok, id say its time to contact the shop im getting my RWC from and consult with Engineer for requirements regarding the dredded blue plate. Original plan was to complete my car without one. I'll post the stats and specs down the track so ya'll can see it from my point of view. It doesnt appeal to me to deface your engine bay with that filthy blue plate. Dont know if anyone can provide details on import numbers, vin etc; but my RA60 was one of those pre "green plate" imports...

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

you'll need the blue/mod plate as you're changing the induction system from carbi to EFI.

Note: get the EFi tank from an RA65 - that sorts out the EFI fuel pump and related things in one go. If you can, grab the high-pressure fuel line from the same donor wreck to save having to make 40psi-capable barb-fittings/hoses at the tank.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster View Post
    you'll need the blue/mod plate as you're changing the induction system from carbi to EFI.

Note: get the EFi tank from an RA65 - that sorts out the EFI fuel pump and related things in one go. If you can, grab the high-pressure fuel line from the same donor wreck to save having to make 40psi-capable barb-fittings/hoses at the tank.
    1 step ahead of you chuckster, got all them goodies from the Corona my 22R came from thanks for the input, keep it comin Lads
    RA60 Celica,RA60 Celica
    RA23 Celica
    Alfa 90 2.5 V6
    VN Commodore 3.8, 5 speed SOLD
    KE55 Corolla SOLD

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

One thing, I found a Corona EFI tank would not fit under an RA65. It looks similar but where the fuel pump attaches to the tank is too tall.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Quote Originally Posted by thechuckster View Post
    One thing, I found a Corona EFI tank would not fit under an RA65. It looks similar but where the fuel pump attaches to the tank is too tall.
    Duely noted... I forgot i had already attempted to fit it, wondering why its sitting next to the car AND not installed grrr!!!
    EFI fuel line went in, few changes in direction from celica to corona in underbody but close enough fit to work. Also, the flexi hose that connects tank to the metal line needs to be extended some 200mm to allow it to clear the mount on the body that the panhard rod attaches to - non existant in the IRS...
    RA60 Celica,RA60 Celica
    RA23 Celica
    Alfa 90 2.5 V6
    KE55 Corolla SOLD

I should mention, i have RA23 bits im trying to sell. if anyones interested in an instrument cluster, front grill and headlight surrounds, chrome strips - pm me
    RA60 Celica,RA60 Celica
    RA23 Celica
    Alfa 90 2.5 V6
    KE55 Corolla SOLD

went to the wreckers today, went to all the effort of removing fuel tank from a ra65 convertable... then i realised the 2SC engine it has: 1. is carby, 2. therefore doesnt have an electic fuel pump.... dumbass

on the upside, the Corona i need the sump off was 5 cars deep - so it will be dragged out for me tomorrow by forklift.
    RA60 Celica,RA60 Celica
    RA23 Celica
    Alfa 90 2.5 V6
    KE55 Corolla SOLD

OK. Got my sump & pick-up along with a spare set of engine mounts, now all i got do is move house first - fark!
    RA60 Celica,RA60 Celica
    RA23 Celica
    Alfa 90 2.5 V6
    KE55 Corolla SOLD

Does anyone know the whereabouts of an RA65 Fuel tank IN QLD. Dont want to end up paying more for freight than the part itself...
    RA60 Celica,RA60 Celica
    RA23 Celica
    Alfa 90 2.5 V6
    KE55 Corolla SOLD

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

Afaik 18rg into ra60 is not legal in Qld. The engine can't be older then the car.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

Quote Originally Posted by lilcrash View Post
    Afaik 18rg into ra60 is not legal in Qld. The engine can't be older then the car.
    Thanks for the input bloke, im well aware of this rule. Hence why i chose this as a project.
    However, 18RG's were produced until 1983 i believe - in EFI setup.
    My ra60 is a 1982 model
    RA60 Celica,RA60 Celica
    RA23 Celica
    Alfa 90 2.5 V6
    KE55 Corolla SOLD

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

Ok then, just make sure you have a way to prove they were made until after your car was built, I had that problem once before. Good luck with it.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Interesting, I like the sound of this, It's unique! Put pictures up man!
    My Daily: NooB's Delivery Vehicle
    My wife's Daily: Series B RA40 Liftback 22RE, power steering, AC. Cushy as.
    Current Project: NooB 3TGTE swap
    Back Burner: 1964 Toyopet ToyoAce, and a Series B TA45 GT coupe
    Too many cars