Thread: Toyota Echo Clutch change: Steering off with a lot of play

Forum Member

Default Toyota Echo Clutch change: Steering off with a lot of play

Hey Guys,

I just got my clutch replaced and a major service on my 1999 Toyota Echo. I drove the car today and noticed there to be considerable play in the steering wheel and the steering to be lighter to the left than the right. Another fault is the airbag light has come on as well, none of these faults existed prior.

Ultratune did the clutch change and service. Guessing this caused the faults, if so do I just take the car back to them?

Regards

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota Echo Clutch change: Steering off with a lot of play

Definately take it back to them.
    I would possibly call them before you drive it any more and see what they want to do (ie put it on a tow truck)
    Loose steering is something you dont really want to have become a major issue while driving if something is left loose.
    Sounds like they may have disconnected the rack/steering shaft and possibly not tightened it properly causing the loose steering.
    Also the airbag light being on is more that likely your drivers airbag squib broken.
    This can happen when the steering wheel/steering shaft has been disconnected and the wheel/shaft has been moved from the central location and not realigned again.
    Basically from the centre position it allows the wheel to turn 2.5 turns to the left or right.
    If it is turned while the wheel is off it will stretch the spring too far one way and snap the connection causing an open circuit in the system causing your airbag light to turn on. Only remedy is to replace the airbag squib( about 600 dollars) and have someone who knows how to set it up( not hard) replace it, then clear your airbag light.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota Echo Clutch change: Steering off with a lot of play

Is your horn still working? Because that wire also runs in the "horn ring". If your horn isn't working, then this is the part that's broken and would need to be replaced.
    Not sure if that'd rung to $600 (but you never know with Toyota), but would involve unbolting the airbag, and then the steering wheel. This is an example:

And most FWD cars nowadays seem to have a front subframe which means you need to drop a lot of things out of the car to get the gearbox/engine out. suspension, steering rack, ...
    So I echo the comments above