Thread: 1jz turbo choices????

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1jz turbo choices????

hey. looking to get around 4-500 out of my 1jz. i am looking at a gt35 or t04z. what spools up quickest and gives better over all power? suggestion???? also what waste gate pressure shud i get?

Junior Member Grease Monkey BEVANI's Avatar

Default Re: 1jz turbo choices????

Turbo choice is personal preference but a gt35 should meet your desired gains. Just work out what size rear housing for when you want boost to come on in the rev range.
    My build has gt35 with 38mm wastegate, current rear of 1.06 but downsizing to .96
    I too am aiming for mid 400's but I'm still a few months of from running so I can't really tell ya how it runs.
    Hope you have luck with your end choice. Interested to hear results
    If in doubt, drift her out! Steer from the rear! less traction,more action! simple!
    ░░▒▒▒▓████
    BURN RUBBER
    ░░▒▒▒▓████ JZA61 FTW!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

35r will meet your power goals. gt30 seems to be liked by most guys because it has less lag then a 35r but ull need to run more boost to make your power goal. really you just need to work out how much lag your willing to have but i think a 35r with .82 rear will be ok but thats me. i have a 35r (1.06 rear) on my 2j making over 500. full boost about 3500 so a 1j would be more near 4?
    10.0sec Cressida (SOLD) current build- caged ke38, 2jz, Glide, 42gtx, 9"

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by 1jlux View Post
    hey. looking to get around 4-500 out of my 1jz. i am looking at a gt35 or t04z. what spools up quickest and gives better over all power? suggestion???? also what waste gate pressure shud i get?
    400-500? hp? kw? at the wheels? at the engine? To give you an idea, 400hp at the engine is HALF the power of 500kw at the wheels (approx 795hp at the engine). That massively changes the question & answers! What are you using it for? What kind of powerband do you need? Will you always be in the correct gear, needing response at low rpm in the wrong gear, or just wanting something that provides peak output for drag racing with an auto gearbox?

Answering as best I can... I'll assume you want 400rwhp which is (say) 480hp at the engine. If you're asking the question then I'm assuming you've not had a car with this amount of power before... I assure you that 400rwhp is PLENTY. Any more power, and it will just start to become less driveable - higher boost threshold, more lag, smaller powerband, and when it's actually on boost it's making way too much power for your tyres to hold onto which means you get beaten by cars with half your power.

I would strongly recommend a Garrett GT3076R with the 0.82 A/R turbine housing. This provides the best mixture of pricing, response, powerband and outright power - capable of 400rwhp but very responsive and if you need a bit more you can just change to the 1.06 rear housing.
    If you want to get a bit more serious then you could look to go straight to a GT35R (GT3582R/GT3540R) with the .82 and in turn the 1.06 as your next step up.

If you have a little extra to spend then you could consider the GTX3076R or GTX3582R but in my opinion if you are going a 1JZ you obviously aren't made of money and therefore I say go the cheaper option as in most cases the differences are negligible.

As for springs, in my experience it is best to get the a wastegate spring pressure closer to your intended boost level... eg. if you are wanting 400hp+ at the wheels I assume you are going to be running 20-22psi so you would want to run a 16 or 18psi spring rather than (say) 5psi or 7psi spring. However, opinions differ on this one and I would recommend you ask your tuner what they recommend.

HTH
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    400-500? hp? kw? at the wheels? at the engine? To give you an idea, 400hp at the engine is HALF the power of 500kw at the wheels (approx 795hp at the engine). That massively changes the question & answers! What are you using it for? What kind of powerband do you need? Will you always be in the correct gear, needing response at low rpm in the wrong gear, or just wanting something that provides peak output for drag racing with an auto gearbox?

Answering as best I can... I'll assume you want 400rwhp which is (say) 480hp at the engine. If you're asking the question then I'm assuming you've not had a car with this amount of power before... I assure you that 400rwhp is PLENTY. Any more power, and it will just start to become less driveable - higher boost threshold, more lag, smaller powerband, and when it's actually on boost it's making way too much power for your tyres to hold onto which means you get beaten by cars with half your power.

I would strongly recommend a Garrett GT3076R with the 0.82 A/R turbine housing. This provides the best mixture of pricing, response, powerband and outright power - capable of 400rwhp but very responsive and if you need a bit more you can just change to the 1.06 rear housing.
    If you want to get a bit more serious then you could look to go straight to a GT35R (GT3582R/GT3540R) with the .82 and in turn the 1.06 as your next step up.

If you have a little extra to spend then you could consider the GTX3076R or GTX3582R but in my opinion if you are going a 1JZ you obviously aren't made of money and therefore I say go the cheaper option as in most cases the differences are negligible.

As for springs, in my experience it is best to get the a wastegate spring pressure closer to your intended boost level... eg. if you are wanting 400hp+ at the wheels I assume you are going to be running 20-22psi so you would want to run a 16 or 18psi spring rather than (say) 5psi or 7psi spring. However, opinions differ on this one and I would recommend you ask your tuner what they recommend.

HTH
    thanks for all the assumptions..... im building this ute to prepare me for my next project. which is a 383 clevo xe sedan. this is my first turbo car that is why im asking. im looking for 400-500 rwhp. still going to be a daily drive work ute thats why im keeping costs lowish. i bought the hilux for $200 running sold the motor out of it and it paid for 1jz. anyway this info would have been good to me before i bought my t04 a few days ago. thanks anyway

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

yeah piss the t04 off. if its going to be daily i would go the gt30/gtx30 ull be on boost pretty quick and still make plenty of power/torque and find hard to get to the ground with a ute unless you like to just turn tyres into smoke at what ever speed you feel lol.
    10.0sec Cressida (SOLD) current build- caged ke38, 2jz, Glide, 42gtx, 9"