Thread: 20v in ke70

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 20v in ke70

first problem i have is with the fuel pump relay, does anyone know which wires are which - I know the BR is ignition 12v, 2 wires are from the AFM as labeled in pic, (dont know why but guessing theyre safety related ie no air flow, pump stops pumping) which leaves WB wire and B (& silver diamonds). anyone know which is which?
    also the blue afm wire is joined at the relay to another one as can be seen but has been cut - what do i use this for (if anything)the 12v also has 2 wires but these are traceable so all good

2nd is the starter relay, one of the wires BW comes from computer, W is 12V constant, B goes to starter, and WR is constant. question is, i think the starter solenoid is engaged by the computer so how does the computer know when key switches to start? Since this requires more wiring, can i just get rid of this setup altogether, run the ke70 starter relay and avoid lots of mucking around or does the computer have to start the starter?

thanks
    Last edited by spoon; 10-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Default Re: 20v in ke70

post has been edited - green circled wires in the first pic are the ones i need to find out

nobody know? guess ill have to go trial and error then!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    2nd is the starter relay, one of the wires BW comes from computer, W is 12V constant, B goes to starter, and WR is constant. question is, i think the starter solenoid is engaged by the computer so how does the computer know when key switches to start? Since this requires more wiring, can i just get rid of this setup altogether, run the ke70 starter relay and avoid lots of mucking around or does the computer have to start the starter?

thanks
    i don't know, so i'm taking a guess here but... (and don't you have the wiring diagrams??)

for the starter. the ECU will only ground a wire to provide a complete circuit.
    it sounds like...
    W is power to the starter RELAY (power side),
    B goes to starter (power side), (both those wires are big yeah?) and ...
    WR goes to the ECU so it grounds the wire only when the ECU is on (coil side of relay?)......
    and the last wire... goes to the start position of the IG switch, so it only has power provided to the coil side of relay when turning key....
    that sound ok?

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    first problem i have is with the fuel pump relay, does anyone know which wires are which - I know the BR is ignition 12v, 2 wires are from the AFM as labeled in pic, (dont know why but guessing theyre safety related ie no air flow, pump stops pumping) which leaves WB wire and B (& silver diamonds). anyone know which is which?
    also the blue afm wire is joined at the relay to another one as can be seen but has been cut - what do i use this for (if anything)the 12v also has 2 wires but these are traceable so all good
    fuel pump relay. yup AFM should have cutoff, so those two wires are ok.
    umm.. how many pins does the relay have?
    is it the type that has a tach input so it also only runs when spark is happening? or it just relies on the AFM for running signal?
    the relay should have as minimum..
    12v Power to power side of relay.
    wire out from power side that goes to fuel pump (when relay is on)
    12V signal to the coil of the relay?
    ground path from coil of relay.

perhaps the AFM wires provide the last two? can you measure the resistance across them and see if it matches up with a coils resistance (i dunno... maybe 20-150ohms as a total guess?)
    the blue afm wire, since it could be connected to somethign else... is probably the power from the AFM (switched on when running) so it provides a "running" signal to something else??

is the white wire a little bigger tan the others? it might be the power to the fuel pump itself??

need diagram... i'm just guessing since no-one else has posted
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

so if the starter relay is setup like that then i should be able to get rid of the system and just use the old (ke70) starter loom; true?i just dont want there to be any factory immobiliser or something that needs the computer to start the engine or something!

The black wire for the fuel pump is biggest so i figure that powers the pump. ill have to get a multi meter and check out the coil resistance. Its a 5 pin relay, so depends on 2 variables to work (hence AFM). So i think this circuit should work anyhow regardless of what the AFM wires are doing if i wire it up as shown in the pic cos they are still connected (uncut) - only 3 wires have been cut from the original loom - 2 big ones and the other AFM output(Blue) so i guess this should work then! thanks!
    Last edited by spoon; 10-11-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

yah, nothing wrong with using the KE70 relay for the starter.. starter is a pice of dumb equipment anyway...

as for the other relay... surely there is a diagram around??

i would be very tempted to dry test it on the ground before hard wiring it.. ie using a globe instead of pump, and testign it works...

surely someone else on toymods have done this wiring before (and doesn't have a conflict of interest becuase they make money from doing wiring ) ?????
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!