Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First 3UZ-FE conversion maybe?

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Default First 3UZ-FE conversion maybe?

Haven't seen one before, so decided to post this work of mine and my mates just to give some reference.
    The engine came with 5-speed auto (A650E) from USDM flipper LS430. It's unknown how many times it flipped before eventually stopping, but its speedo stuck at some 90mph.

Surprisingly, engine fitment was quite easy thanks to header design. I can only mention installing new (smaller and more efficient) brake booster and sending driveshaft to the right place. We didn't use supra flange, ordered custom one instead. It's made around original LS430 part.

Exhaust part isn't impressive in any way, but it resembles customer's wish for maximum silence and stock looks.

Donor had no smart key system which simplified electric part greatly. So it was basically stripping all connectors from donor and making simplified loom, keeping all immobilizer stuff needed of course. We found out that no units are needed except namely immobilizer ECU and supporting stuff like transponder, antenna and the key. That's only true for vehicles without smart key. Speedo and tacho signals are converted as I usually do, using microcontroller-based adapters. I sell em quite successfully in my area.

As USDM one, this has no feature of displaying error codes via warning light, so the Techstream is the only way. Happily it's readily available off Ebay at sweet prices. Tweaked oxy sensors a bit, eventually getting rid of all of them.

Let's get to the pictures.

http://s4.images.drive2.ru/user.blog...6940-large.jpg

Some WIP moments:

http://s4.images.drive2.ru/user.blog...0aed-large.jpg

Unfortunately we didn't have too much time for video, I can only post this short clip
    http://youtu.be/poQ8eLGv2Zg

The car is now given back to the customer, but I will have access to it in a month or so, when it would be brought back to our workshop for a brief checkout.
    Last edited by George; 01-06-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Default Re: First 3UZ-FE conversion maybe?

Looks like a good conversion.

The Engine looks alot neater/cleaner with the engine cover on .

What chassis is it in??
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Well this is our local make, the only Toyota thing in it is actually engine/transmission.
    You can google Volga 31105
    Mostly same as mine (see below each post), only heavily facelifted. They are available for quite cheap and can take a huge engine without too much problem, so we mostly do them.... also convert small trucks/vans to Toyota 3RZ/5VZ, that's by far 90% of all our conversions.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong but getting the transponder would be the critical thing as from memory they tend to live in the rear passenger area and so it would be missing in a typical halfcut. (and of course they are unique to the vehicle as they have to match the key transmitter)

to Sciflyer

First of all , never ever buy a car/halfcut with smart key system. The rest is not that bad.
    With LS430 you would need engine ECU, transponder, antenna and a key (if you plan to use immobiliser and not just bypass it, you better have the master key).
    Yes they are better to be off the same car but they can be reprogrammed. If ECU and transponder are already in sync you can reset key memory and program new keys. Well even if you can't do it by yourself you can always spend some $200 to get this problem sorted.

As for transponder location. I didn't strip the car by myself but I'm 99% sure it was under the dash near navigation system display. You can check by p/n # 89783-50070

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

easiest way is buy a new immob ecu
    not to dear only 400 bucks
    read the bin file in the chip then u have a virgin bin and can use that in all other immob ecus with same part number
    so next time u get 2nd hand immob ecu just flash this virgin bin into it and it will accept any key
    next step is trying to read bin and making it not need a key
    thats the nearly impossible job

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

I for one welcome our new Volga driving overlords,

also, in Russia - Volga 3uz-fe-... you!

/bad puns.

(And welcome!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

New immob ecu method is brilliant idea if you plan a number of similar swaps in some not very distant future. Otherwise it's better to find complete car like we did. I still find that 4.0 vvti engine has better bang for buck (unless maybe being compared to a 4.3 with 6-speed auto)

I doubt that trying to figure out "no key" eeprom data is a practical idea, unless of course you're planning to hijack a bunch of 430's =)

tomvale13 I think for the Tech forum there's no big difference where an engine is swapped in. So the focus of the thread is rather the 3UZ-FE than a Volga. I personally don't like the post-1980 body style.
    Last edited by George; 13-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

I'm just glad to see a 3uz being played with, I do think it's a first on here from memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

i know of a sc430 3uz for sale, asked the bloke about it and he wants $4k... but became quite negotiable as soon as i said "no way, jose

it is on gumtree qld
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

tomvale13, thanks =) I feel like I'll add to this tread cause small troubles become apparent as the car is being driven on and on. Now I feel like something's wrong with MAF reading (we could not fit stock airbox) and maybe my method of tweaking O2 sensors wasn't good either. Hopefully we have an LS430 handy so at least I can record 'correct' live data and see what's wrong with the swap

Shifty, ours was exactly $4000, a little bit too fkn much but there were no alternatives and little time
    Last edited by George; 14-06-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Above example notwithstanding, for engines such as the 3UZ or 1GZ to be transplanted using the original ECU there is not much choice other than to import a halfcut as our importation laws prohibit bringing in whole cars for wrecking purposes, and locally available vehicles for wrecking are few and far between and priced accordingly

But you can then import a set of ECU's separately? I still see a number of options even if halfcut does not contain some thing you do need for conversion.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by Sciflyer View Post
    Above example notwithstanding, for engines such as the 3UZ or 1GZ to be transplanted using the original ECU there is not much choice other than to import a halfcut as our importation laws prohibit bringing in whole cars for wrecking purposes, and locally available vehicles for wrecking are few and far between and priced accordingly
    Rubbish. Plenty of importers bring in engines with full looms & ECUs as conversion packages with all the required sensors & parts.

The only difference is that the car is pulled apart before it goes on the boat, rather than afterward.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Yes but they don't bring in the ignition lock, transponder and security ecu's that are necessary to get the late-model engines to run on the factory ecu's as George has said

Furthermore with these engines being DBW you don't get the throttle pedal assembly you need either