Thread: 1UZ 4Runner R150F Driveshaft lengths

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 1UZ 4Runner R150F Driveshaft lengths

Hey all,

Putting a 1UZ into my 4runner. Running the R150F Manual Gearbox. I have heard you can use a front and rear drive shaft out of the turbo diesel surf's and also the gearbox cross member so that the engine can sit a bit father back in the engine bay to allow for a decent cooling setup.

I have no idea if these need to be out of an AUTO or MANUAL Turbo diesel surf. are they out of the 2.4L or 3.0L versions? alternatively, could someone measure their front and rear shaft lengths for me?

thanks.

P.S - mine is currently a 3L V6 4runner

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 1UZ 4Runner R150F Driveshaft lengths

Manual 2.4TD (LN130 Surf) crossmember and driveshafts are what you need, You can get away with using 2.8 diesel 4runner rear shaft and crossmember but the front shaft becomes a bit of a problem as the PCD on the output flange is different between gear and chain driven transfer cases. If you plan on using the V6 4runner R150 and transfer the gearlever position also becomes a bit of a problem given that there is some 60mm of rearward movement so basically you'd be wanting the entire R150, shafts and crossmember from the LN130 Surf and a transfer from an LN147 Hilux (Which is front shift rather than top shift on the V6 4runner) and swap the input shafts from 21 spline Hilux W/G series to R series 23 spline, by that I mean make one transfer out of your old one and the later Hilux one, Alternately wire up the Surfs electric transfer (not that hard) and have "Shift to Hi 4 on the fly". Honestly your easiest and cheapest way to get all the parts is to hunt around and buy a dead Manual 2.4TD Surf, remove what you need and perhaps some of the other nice bits and part the rest out to recover costs.

As for cooling I use the diesel radiators with a Spal 16 inch fan which depending on owners preference can run when engine is running full time or be set to run using the 1UZs ECT sensor using a "Simple Voltage Switch" from Jaycar. Hell mine doesn't get hot even on some of Perths scorching days with the A/C on.

There's no problem at my end if you wish to get in contact and ask questions. I did do these conversions full time until my body told me recently that I wasn't going to be on the tools full time any more so that's now back to being a hobby if you will
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

hey mate,

thanks for the info. i've put a 5L v8 into a 4runner previously, and had to cut the floor pan back a little to select 2nd and 4th and reverse. i dont mind doing this again if need be and welding a plate over the front. by the time you put the console back on no one should notice anyway. im using a V6 5 speed 4runner as my base. id love to see some pics (especially engine bay if possible) before i get too stuck into mine. i think i'll struggle to find a 2.4TD surf for a price i'm willing to pay (i'm a cheap bastard). was your engine non vvti?

I usually pay less than $1k for dead Surfs. Probably got some pics somewhere but they don't really show much. And yes mine is non VVTi, engine is out of a '91 UZZ31 Soarer and converted to front sump. My advice for your flywheel/clutch setup is to use the KSracing bellhousing (eBay), Extreme performance flywheel, 80 series Landcruiser clutch plate and release bearing and a D40 Navara Clutch cover, uses the stock 4runner fork and pivot, you shorten the slave cyl mount on the bellhousing by 35mm and use the stock hydraulics, this gives a nice factory feel plus operation to the clutch, costs about the same as that Dellow rubbish and is a lot more reliable, plus the KS bell is the correct length for the 4wds.

Oh and unless you really want one a bodylift isn't needed

sweet. i'm going to use a chro molly flywheel and clutch setup i bought of 'mullett' on these forums. the clutch is off a 1g-gte and worse case if the pressure plate won't fit i'll use a different one, but i'm 99% sure it will. as far as bellhousing goes i'm definately going to get from KSracing. i was planning on using the stock slave setup and pivot/hydraulic fork etc. the engine i have is a 1993 LS400 engine NON VVTI. I don't know if the stock headers will fit, if not i have a mate who has some 'block hugging' style ones that will easily fit and probably flow a hell of a lot better. car already has from what i can tell a 2 or 3 inch suspension lift. i've got all the body lift stuff and wouldn't mind doing it, i just have to talk to my engineer first and make sure he will still sign off on it. otherwise i'll avoid it. i'm going to check out a couple of wreckers this week and find myself front and rear shafts off a TD surf and also the gearbox crossmember. any idea exactly how much further back the gearbox will sit using the KS bellhousing and TD surf crossmember?

just trying to work out if i can use a tailshaft of another hilux/4runner instead, as the wreckers were unsure if they would have an undamaged one off a 2.4TD surf.
    does the diesel surf radiators you use utilize the stock mounting position? and the thermo that you use, are you running it 'push' on the outside of the radiator or 'pull' mounted on the inside (engine bay side) of the radiator?

sorry about a million questions mate but the more info i can get before i get stuck into it the easier/cheaper it will be for me.

i am going to run gas injection on mine also, since there is already a gas setup on the V6 shell/chassis that i'm using.

what did you do for engine mounts? i'm happy to make my own custom ones but if there is an easier way i'm interested to know.

thanks mate

Your box will move to the rear by 60mm thereabouts. The stock headers won't fit due to the torsion bars on the IFS. While I have had proper "Tri y" extractors jigged up for these they will only fit those converted from diesel due to differing engine mount positions on the chassis and that said I make up mounting brackets to suit each conversion and do not alter anything on the chassis. I try to keep everything as stock as possible for future parts replacement. e.g you need an engine mount for whatever reason and you go to repco and buy what is listed for the 4runner, bolt it in and done. Engine mounts aint hard, some suitable flat bar, a drill, angle grinder, mig welder and some swearing and you're done. Diesel manual 4runner and Surf rear tailshafts are the same so no worries there. If you can't find one in the wreckers don't worry too much as I do have one in the shed but seem to be a bit short on front ones. the radiators are a bolt in and I use pull type fans as to keep the A/C simple and stock. The more OEM you can keep it the easier the engineering and I tell you they go pretty hard and use less fuel than the V6. There is a lot of info out there on places such as Lextreme and toyotasurf. I should know as in recent years I wrote most of it. As I said when you can send me a PM and I'll give you a ph no, however that isn't hard to find given the way the damn thing never stops