Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ga70/1GGTE engine knock and oil leak

Slanted Photographer Automotive Encyclopaedia LeaThaL's Avatar

Default Ga70/1GGTE engine knock and oil leak

hey all

Just got a quick question,

I've got a GA70 supra with the stock 1ggte in there. its got a fairly obvious knock in the motor when the car is on the road as normal and ive not been driving it since its been leaking oil around the front of the motor,

orignally i thought it was the sump but on closer inspection ive found it comming from somewhere else....

this is a bolt that sits on the front lower right hand side of the engine, just above the sump and to the right of the harmonic ballancer.

what excatly is this is whats the best way to go about fixing it? as i tryed a few spanners and nothing will fit, but it doesnt seem there is any casing i can remove to get a spanner in there to tighten?

also, the knock the motor normally has (not really loud or bad but obvious when cold) was completely gone when i started the car with the Xmember on car stands on the lowest setting, is this a sign its the rear bearings that are worn or is it due to the car being rear sumped and it having some differecce in the oil being picked up?

the whole time the car has been just below F on the oil tab and was check before and after the car was jacked up.

cheers
    1 G L O V E
    88 Ga70 supra --- Under powered and over cooled Daily

Default Re: Ga70/1GGTE engine knock and oil leak

anyone?

no luck in knowing what the bolt is and what its there for?
    1 G L O V E

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

have u got a photo that isnt as close?

p00 powar Grease Monkey Jin~Jah's Avatar

yeah a pic showing the general vicinity might help

from that close up though, it almost looks like the 7m's pressure release thingy on the oil pump!

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

I believe this is just above the Crank pulley.

just to the right of the harmnic ballancer, you can see it there
    1 G L O V E

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Damn that's oily.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

mate you need to degrease your engine first, there could be numerous leaks by the looks of it.

If you cant get a spanner on it (but the first picture suggest the you might be able to a open ender on it) you will have to remove your pulley.

You knocking my also be the pulley being loose.

thats just a old pic, i did degrease the motor and hit it with a high pressure hose, its spotless now and that is exactly where the leak is comming from.

that was an idea when playing with the motor but the knock is loud while the oil pressure gauge shows nothing (first 2 secs of car running when cold) and once the pressure is up the knock goes quiet but with revs the noise comes back
    1 G L O V E

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

have you inspected the oil for metal shaving's? Sounds like rod knock

im doing a oil change this weekend but im not really expecting to find shavings as the motor is under 100 000kms old, hasnt even had its first timing belt change so im stumped as to how it got the knock, prob a few moments of starvation when the leak started maybe.....

either way as of now ive sorted a complete good running motor so ill try fix this leak tomorrow and experement with a new oil in regards to the knock and see how long it lasts before the new motor arrives
    1 G L O V E

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Even with the fan right there, that looks like a lot of spread for only one source.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaThaL View Post
    knock is loud while the oil pressure gauge shows nothing (first 2 secs of car running when cold) and once the pressure is up the knock goes quiet but with revs the noise comes back
    Not much chance of it even staying the same let alone getting better.
    If the pump's in the front cover, that'll probably be a plug for a port or the oil relief valve.
    You might be able to get it without pully removal after grinding/cutting/welding up a cheap wrench from the flea market/pawn shop. Good luck.

Also, is it a camera trick or is that actually the Australian & World Record Holder for the largest diameter sway bar, it's big as the rack?
    'I've scrapped better.' John stated when asked about the car by the guy with the silver tipped cowboy boots!

thats what i thought also but i dont see any more oil around after i cleaned the car off when i degreased it, im just guessing thats there from the old motor when it died (dont know what from).
    The motor didnt lose a drop of oil for the first 3 weeks i owned the car and i didnt really notice the knock but it wasnt too long after i found the leak and stopped driving it is when i found the knock to be obvious..
    1 G L O V E

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by LeaThaL View Post
    oil pressure gauge shows nothing (first 2 secs of car running when cold) and once the pressure is up the knock goes quiet but with revs the noise comes back
    ...is not unusual for a cold motor with an old or non-genuine oil filter to have no oil pressure after start for 1-2 secs. Most drain-back valves in oil filters start to not work after a while. The cheaper they are the shorter that period.

As for the knocking - if the knock is there regardless of temp, then your description points to crank/rod bearings.

Disconnect spark plugs one at a time and see if the noise goes away. If it does on a specific cyl, then rod bearings.

I'd also look at the crank pulley to check that it's not failed (keyway borked/broken or rubber section joining inner and outer parts has failed).

Given that the timing belt is old, your motor may have oil in it that's not much younger. Have you changed the oil in it at all?

btw: that bolt is the back of the oil-pressure relief valve. Don't over-tighten it as it's only going into alloy.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

good words chuck

in reguards to the oil the cars done 213000kms, and ive got a sticker and a recpiept for a full service including oil saying it was done around june last year but only due to be replaced at 216000kms, as the fella i bought the car from didnt own it, but was selling it for a mate that moved overseas.

that and the filter was really really clean as if it was basicly new and the oil was still a nice golden clear color and seemed very fresh, thus why i didnt change it straight away.

im going to dump the oil today and fit a new fiter and a heaver oil to mask the knock so ill see what i find today
    1 G L O V E