Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2JZGTE vvt into IS200

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

Default 2JZGTE vvt into IS200

I've got the car and the front cut and come the end of June I will have the time to do the conversion.

I've also got a few unknowns that if answered should allow me to be better prepared for the swap.

The front cut is from a 1998 JZS161 Aristo. The IS200 is 2002.

References to conversions indicate that the IS200 ECU should be left in place to run certain parts in the car (for multiplex?). The comments also indicate that the other ECU should be mounted in the cabin in the normal location. The 161 Aristo has the ECU mounted under the bonnet in the same location as the IS200 so I am wondering how far the similarity goes to and if this model will need me to keep both ECU. Ideally I will be able to pull the IS200 ECU and replace it with the one from the Aristo and all the wiring will be in the one location. How have others done this?

Since the Aristo uses a transponder in the key similar to Lexus key I was hoping to be able to program my other lexus keys to work as master keys for the 2JZ receiver and ECU. Can I expect to be able to share the signal from the mounted transponder receiver in the IS200 with the Aristo ECU? Does anyone know how to program an additional key into the Aristo JZS161? If this will work then I will also program the Aristo transponder to be a master key for my IS200. I should do this before starting to pull the front cut apart so all the wiring is in place (except the door switches).

Update: The early Aristo ECU does not have an immobiliser so a key based transponder is not required. Following the install of the Aristo ECU the keys programmed to lock/unlock the car continue to work, but something may need to be done to allow new keys to be programmed to operate this from the Lexus key. Considering the cost of the Lexus key transponder (specific to Australia) that will operate the locks, an aftermarket immobiliser system that will also unlock the car may be a smart alternative.

As I verify different bits I will post the details here for future reference.
    Last edited by BrianRA23; 23-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 2JZGTE vvt into IS200

ive done afew 2j vvtis but not in is200s
    pretty sure 98 99 aristos dont have security as they r ones ive done
    aristo ecu just fits tight behind dash in a cressida with some mods to aristo loom
    so u might be pushing to fit it behind dash in is200 but measure it first
    ive worked on afew 1j is200s where otheres have done a crap job and they would not spend money sorting everything out properly
    so i never worried about running some signals to orig ecu to get air con and stuff working nicely
    so maybe some else has done it but its prob all trial and error
    i guess u need rpm and temps and tps maybe
    apart from that do it slowly and try and work it out one wire at a time

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

I would also like to do this conversion (2JZGTE VVTi to IS200) one day so take good notes for me

A few notes.

As said early JZA161 don't have an engine immobiliser (Part number 89661-3A470) built into the engine ECU is my understanding (FYI I have an early JZS161 engine ECU I can sell you if you have a late model JZS161 engine ECU and it helps you...).

I've got the JZS161 engine ECU wiring detailed on my wiki FYI
    http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...ngine%20Wiring

You are right the JZS161 engine ECU is mounted in the engine bay. You will have zero chance of mounting it under the dash without extending the loom or buying a JZA80 VVTi 2JZGTE engine loom, it's just way to short I'm pretty sure. Personally I'd try and put it the JZS161 engine ECU in the engine bay in the IS200 if you can if possible - sounds the most elegant to me...

The JZS161 engine ECU has multiplex as well, so the first thing I would be checking is if it is compatible with the IS200... if it is then it might be very easy (i.e. this will sort out things like the tacho, water temp, etc)....I don't know a whole lot about the multiplex unfortunately (I would like to know more )

One way to try this might be to run the half cut with the JZS161 engine ECU in the multiplex loop as opposed to the IS200 engine ECU, see if the water temp, RPM signal etc works?

Just some thoughts

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Wilbo

Your thoughts are close to mine and i am currently planning on installing the Aristo ecu in the under bonnet location. If the IS200 does not work with the other ecu then that will be another issue to deal once the engine is running, but if it works then this will be a nice conversion.

It would be nice to know if the multiplex can be simply work between other models of cars or where the limitation exists. If someone knows then this would give some confidence in the wiring being sorted.

I am surprised about the security not being on the ecu since the key has security and your wiring diagram indicate connection to the key barrel. I hope you are right and I will think of how to confirm this in addition to getting the ecu part number. I guess it should therefore start with a key and no transponder fitted so I could give this a try - is that correct?

BTW your diagrams indicated above, were found the other day and I had a good read of them - really great stuff and appreciated. I hope my findings for the conversion will add to this information.

I have a second rear turbo inlet duct and I was wondering if I should get them both changed to allow them to be routed around the is200 heater pipes. I guess it should be a salable item and very useful to someone else. Ages ago I had hoped someone would make a similar offer so I could collect all the required bits. The is300 mounts have been in my shed for 18 months.

B

Quote Originally Posted by BrianRA23 View Post
    Wilbo
    I am surprised about the security not being on the ecu since the key has security and your wiring diagram indicate connection to the key barrel. I hope you are right and I will think of how to confirm this in addition to getting the ecu part number. I guess it should therefore start with a key and no transponder fitted so I could give this a try - is that correct?
    I personally ran my VVTi 2JZGTE off an early JZS161 engine ECU without dramas (nothing other than the engine ECU from JZS161, no key reader/transponder etc).

The early JZS161 engine ECUs have one less plug that the later ones which I believe have inbuilt immobilisers.

I think you will find the wiring diagrams show connections for immobiliser >07/2000 only...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

There was a guy who did a JZS161 into an IS300(same car pretty much). He wanted a more up to date car than his Chaser JZX100. Was fairly simple. I am thinking about doing the same conversion too.

http://www.jzx100.com/forum/topic/16...5r-conversion/

Hope that helps its a bit old.

An interesting thread referenced there. I was quite hopeful that he was able to use the Aristo ECU (as he had planned), but he ended up using the IS200 ECU as well. His reasons were due to the plugs no going straight in so there seems to be no examples of people trying to get the IS200 (or IS300) dash to work from another ECU with multiplex communications. It is therefore still worth finding out. I am suspecting that only specific information is transferred across the multiplex coms as required by other parts of the system, but it may be this is possible.

If the basic speedo works then I may be happy to see other information from something like the PLX ODB2 gauges.

What other systems in the car require the IS200 ECU to function. ABS,....?

I checked the dashes for the IS200 and they seem to be compatible across the first 4 or 5 years.

If the basic speedo works then I may be happy to see other information from something like the PLX ODB2 gauges.
    Are you sure the JZS161 engine ECU outputs compatible OBD2? I didn't think it did... not 100% sure however

Cheers
    Wilbo

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Not sure, but references indicate that most cars post 1997 should be OBD2. Another source (Toyota USA) indicate OBD2 was implemented between 1994 and 1996 so that also agrees. I have no idea how useful the information might be, but being able to check the codes and reset different systems via the iPhone interface seems like it might be worth utilising.

The Multiplex still remains to be the big unknown and I hope it will work once connected. Anyone with evidence of the system working with a different ECU would be most encouraging.

Not sure, but references indicate that most cars post 1997 should be OBD2.
    My understanding was that as 2JZGTE VVTi never made it out of Japan, it didn't have to comply to OBD2. And in fact my understanding is that people with JZA80 VVTi 2JZGTE aren't able to read data via OBD2 (anyway I suggest you think about looking into it! ).

Oh and one suggestion to try with the multiplex is taking the engine ECU out of the network and see what you loose / what stops working while you still have a running car!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

be careful with some obd2 gauges or scanners
    i have the plx wifi scanner which works with my ipad
    its mainly usa based obd2 so therefore works only on some cars
    does not work on camry or aurion or landcruiser
    does work on aussie ford and commodore

ive even had guys buy cheap obd2 scanners on ebay and wonder y they dont work on their vehicle
    ive got laptop software and a good scanner that works on toyota
    not much else works on them

Yesterday I connected up fuel and power to the front cut and tried a start on both the fancy key (with fob) and ones without anything. This verifies Wilbo's information so now I guess I will need to install some sort of immobiliser to comply with WA licensing regulations. As long as the keyless enter works then I guess a basic proximity sensor type would work.

Anyhow following that the engine and gearbox was removed from the front cut and is sitting on the floor.

First thing was to see how the duct for the rear turbo was to be modified, after seeing some pictures indicating they need to be adjusted to clear the heater pipe outlets. Below are some pics of the setup for fabrication. You can see in the turbo flange picture that the ducting can be rotated by drilling and tapping new holes into the compressor housing and gives enough room for pointing it back in towards the engine.

Rear turbo new ducting.JPG

The cuts made for the ducting can be seen and the new orientation compared to standard pipe. The space that this moves into, previously had been occupied by a coolant pipe going up for the heater pipe outlet location in the Aristo installation.

Rear turbo new holes.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666 View Post
    one suggestion to try with the multiplex is taking the engine ECU out of the network and see what you loose / what stops working while you still have a running car!
    I guess the way to do this is remove/cut the multiplex wires from the ECU and leave everything else connected. That would be a useful test for future reference and I will try not to forget doing it.

So I am ready to get going again with the conversion and I spent a few hours this afternoon getting the engine ready to be lifted from the Lexus, hopefully out tomorrow and then do some changes to the 2JZ after some clearance checks and see if it sits on the mounts OK. First thing will be to modify the sump and do so with the least amount of effort.

I have spent hours scanning through manuals for the Lexus to determine the wiring configuration and then did a check against what was in the ECU box for the engine body wiring and not too much matched. If anyone has IS200 (2002) information for these three (engine-body) connectors I would be very interested otherwise it is going to get rather tedious.

finding diagrams for body plugs is hardest thing to find
    best way is to tackle it one wire at a time with a multimeter
    will take awhile but theres probably no other way
    its prob a 2 day job for a pro to do it neat and tidy
    so if u take your time might take afew weeks at afew hours a day