Thread: Fuel Injector Insulator Issue

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Fuel Injector Insulator Issue

Have just got my 5m-e motor up and running, but, there sounds like a few air leaks from the inlet side and it idles rather roughly. I am assuming it's coming from where the injectors sit in the rail i.e. the insulators aren't insulating.

Why do I think this ?

Well, the insulators I purchased were slightly smaller in circumference and depth, but, the bloke who sold them to me said the actual injector when pressed into the insulator would make the insulator sit nice and tight in the rail. Didn't happen. They clearly move around a little.

I'm no mechanic, I just what to clarify that what I'm thinking is either correct or the opposite i.e the insulator should be a tight fit in the rail, therefore removing any chance of a leak. Right or wrong ?

Any help appreciated,

Trevor

Default Re: Fuel Injector Insulator Issue

No they are not a tight fit in the manifold. if it were the rail end you'd have fuel pissing everywhere.

How to check is this. With the engine running grab your tin of CRC and spray it around the base of the injectors where they go into the manifold. If there is a vacuum leak there the engine will smooth out
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Thanks for that tip. I'll do that tomorrow. Also they're loose in the manifold not the rail. I got that arse about.

Cheers.

Bitsa. There should also be o rings at base of injector, inside manifold to stop the leak you have.

ToyTA22 thanks for the reply. My injectors have the o-ring on the fuel rail side and an insulator on the manifold side. The attachment below is a pic of an injector similar to mine.

Attachment 16440

The new insulators I've installed are clearly smaller than the originals and I presume are sucking in air. I'll hunt some down today, put them in and see what happens.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

ToyTA22, there are no 'o-rings' at the base like there is at the top, only the 'insulator' that Bitsa is talking about.

Bitsa, the injector should be able to freely spin, but not move too much side-to-side at the manifold.
    Its possible that your fuel rail isn't seated properly on its mounts. It would only have to move a mm or so downwards to create the seal you need.

The smaller circumference of the new insulators shouldn't matter, but the depth will need to be right.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

CrUZida. I think depth is the problem because even though the difference is minimal they are clearly smaller in width and depth, but, went to the local efi place today and he said what I'd purchased are the right ones, or at least the right ones in 2013. I doubt they'd have fitted them originally. They're an insulator for many models and makes of car. I still don't like how they just flop about in the manifold though. When you say they shouldn't move too much side to side, in my opinion they do. Earlier in the day I went to a place that I believe had the right size insulator. Bit hard to tell because they were locked tight in a plastic bag. Old stock, but, they wouldn't sell me 6, I'd have to buy the bag of 100 for $40-00. Anyway, tomorrow I'll check everything. Could be I haven't tightened things enough. It would be good if that's the case.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers