Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RA60 3sge?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default RA60 3sge?

hey all,
    i have an ra60.
    if i had a 3sge, rwd exhaust manifold, quad throttle bodies, a s series egine to w series gearbox bellhousing, a sa63 crossmember and a microtech. what else would i need?

if i did all the work was done by myself and a mate how much would this conversion cost?

thanks, any information would be useful.

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: RA60 3sge?

Sump? RA65 fuel system? Engine mounts?

It's really one of those "how long is a piece of string questions" dude, it will depend on how much you can get everything for, and how much of the custom stuff you can do yourself.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Have a search.
    RWD'ing any of the 3S's is a very expensive thing to do.

Almost nothing is available off the shelf, and thus needs to be custom.

Its up there as one of the most involved conversions available.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

A 3S-GE conversion might be slightly easier than a 3S-GTE conversion, but yeah it's still a big job. It also might help a bit if you started with an SA63 instead of an RA60. They cost stuff-all these days so you might as well.

One big thing you missed is the distributor, which sticks out the back of the head on a 3S. This is a bit of a problem when you try to mount the engine north-south.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Yeah, I'd be using the microtech, getting a crank-angle sensor made up, running coilpacks, custom intake (as you mentioned), RWD headers, Altezza 6speed box...etc

I think the BEST way to do it (might not be the cheapest, but but then again it might be) is to get an SA63, an Altezza front cut, and uhh...pursuade...them to join together. THis way you've got all the RWD stuff, the ECU will happily run it, a heap of factory-reliable power...etc.

RM.

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

and don't most 3sge's have vvti? which you would need an expensive ECU to run.
    edit: that's just the rs200 ones aint it, my bad. end edit:

good luck if you go through with it.
    beer me!

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Im about to face the daunting task of 3SGTE into RA23... and Im estimating 7G to do it, with a W58, as the Altezza box seems impossible to get (if anyone has one for sale, let me know) and thats with good friends of mine doing all the custom fabrication for booz/cash

Its not a cheap convo, and should not be attempted as one. If you want a cheap convo... 1GGE seems the go with W57 box etc etc.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

if there was no such thing as engineers certificates i would of poped the 3s in my car in stead of hybred shannigans

in all seriousness it's not really that hard when it comes to engine convos if the ra60 shares the same xmemeber as the sa63 it's a walk in the park really 2s engine mounts bolt up pretty much just gotta weld a bit of 1/4 inch on one mount and drill a hole run a 2s sump and pick up run a sa63 gearbox and machine the bellhousing down and bash the firewall a bit or run coil packs and shes in then you just gotta fiddle around with little stuff

in engine convos terms it's in the simpler side of the equation i've seen 351's in mk1 cortinas now theres a bugger of a conversion choping and welding of firewalls and trans tunnels or let alone vn v6's in gemies

Yeah, gotta love the Gingerbeering side of things. Ive had suggested to me to rig up the OEM dizzy on the front side of the motor on one of the cams... dunno how that would work... may look into it. Otherwise its gonna be a programmable ignition system with quad coils for this black duck

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic sam-131's Avatar

hmmm how in the good name of toyota would you rig the dizzy up like that

i've seen people run dizzys off the cam belt with a gear/cog off the end of the dizzy but you would need to fab and find out ratio the gear/cog would need to be to spin the dizzy at the right speed per revolution

call me dogey if you want but i still find the sleg hammer/belting of the firewall idea much easyer and cheaper although if i was building a half decent car and i did'nt have 20 million projects at once i would be looking at running coils just much neater

yeah, coils was my preferred option too... and i dont like the thought of taking to my soon to be show quality RA23's firewall with a sledgy.... just not my style.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sam-131
    if there was no such thing as engineers certificates i would of poped the 3s in my car in stead of hybred shannigans

in all seriousness it's not really that hard when it comes to engine convos if the ra60 shares the same xmemeber as the sa63 it's a walk in the park really 2s engine mounts bolt up pretty much just gotta weld a bit of 1/4 inch on one mount and drill a hole run a 2s sump and pick up run a sa63 gearbox and machine the bellhousing down and bash the firewall a bit or run coil packs and shes in then you just gotta fiddle around with little stuff

in engine convos terms it's in the simpler side of the equation i've seen 351's in mk1 cortinas now theres a bugger of a conversion choping and welding of firewalls and trans tunnels or let alone vn v6's in gemies
    wow, this is the most impressive attempt ive seen to make an engine conversion like this seem easy, to date.

i dont care, this deserves rep!

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

crank trigger and coil packs for waste spark - that'll make the dizzi a non-issue... but it's a minor issue compared to mounts and (if you go turbo) starter motors.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

so nobody has mentioned the apparent oil drainage issues that result from the head being upright?

Im going to look into having the motor on a tilt, see what fitment issues that causes. The ol RB series of nissan 6's are slanties... so why wouldnt a 3S work as a slanty i say... just means a slightly tighter bend on the dump pipe, and possibly some custom bonnet alterations. Good point you make tho Viper.

Chuckster... wasted spark is for commonwhores and foulcans. quad coil packs running in correct firing order are for real motors. Works in the same way as a V8 wasted spark, just need to make a correct crank trigger disk. As the dizzy comes off a cam with no gearing, this can be done quite easily with a 3S

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen