Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K50 gearbox questions

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default K50 gearbox questions

Hi all,

I have a what I think is a K50 gearbox behind my 4AGE engine. Its the cable clutch type which I think is from the AE85/AE70. Now this gearbox has done me well but it has started to make noises and start to scream in certain gears. Because these gearboxes seem to be almost non existant I am wondering if the gearset from the KE70 (K series engine) gearbox will fit and if the ratios are the same or not? Basically if i source a KE70 gearbox then will the guts fit my gearbox?

Can anyone help me here?

Cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey pushrod_POWA's Avatar

Default Re: K50 gearbox questions

The ke70 had the k40 or k50 so im pretty sure it would fit in. But I would also think that these gearboxes would be easy to get??? have you searched around?
    Automobile Status: Forward Movement.

Corolla Collecter Backyard Mechanic Trent-KE30's Avatar

You'd want a T-50 for the 4AGE mate, Don't know how the K-50 is behind your 4AGE,
    1977 Toyota Corolla KE30 1GGTE http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...post7372821977

1987 Ford Falcon XF S Pac

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

I have a T50 in my shed waiting to go into my next project.
    The K50 was chosen for my Suzuki Sierra as it is cable clutch and made things easy. The gearbox has held up surprisingly well considering. Even offroad in 4wd where there would be some pretty strong forces on the box it has done extremely well. So to simplify things Im quite prepared to stick with it. As long as I can get confirmation of the KE70 K50 being the same internally then thats what I will source. My gearbox, the AE70 K50 is almost impossible to find. Really depends on what I can find I suppose.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

id be saying you have a T50 behind a 4a
    and i doubt K50 internals would fit.
    T50 are relatively common, although takumi and dorifto boiz do keep braking them
    im sure you could pick one up out of an ae71 for not too much. esp if you buy the whole car haha
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trent-KE30
    You'd want a T-50 for the 4AGE mate, Don't know how the K-50 is behind your 4AGE,
    K50 was available behind the 3A in the AE85 and AE70 (possibly others). Its commonly used in NZ as you don't need to convert to hydro clutch, make 4A conversion into K series Corollas and Starlets pretty easy. As long as you know what your doing, swapping the internals overs with a K series K50 should be relatively straight forward.

Callum

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

4A's came with T50;s
    4K's came with either K40 or K50

i dont think there is a bell housing avaliable to enable you to use the K50 behind a T50.

that said, this "AE70" of yours, doesnt exist.

theres the KE70, and AE71, its not a misprint, since youve mentioned it a few times already...

Id be inclined to beleive your after a T50.

they can be had for under $150, and are decent until you start putting them through alot.

Eldar.O.

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    4A's came with T50;s
    4K's came with either K40 or K50

i dont think there is a bell housing avaliable to enable you to use the K50 behind a T50.

that said, this "AE70" of yours, doesnt exist.

theres the KE70, and AE71, its not a misprint, since youve mentioned it a few times already...

Id be inclined to beleive your after a T50.

they can be had for under $150, and are decent until you start putting them through alot.

Eldar.O.
    You are wrong, there is a K50 with an A series bellhousing. Was not supplied new in Oz, but then Oz isn't exactly overflowing with everything Toyota known to man.

KE70 uses 4K and K40/50
    AE70 has 3A with A bolt pattern K50
    AE71 has 4A with T box
    AE85 has 3A with A bolt pattern K50
    AE86 has 4A with T box

For a box/car that doesn't exist I've seen a hell of a lot of them.

Callum

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Eldaro..
    read Callums post..

there IS a T50 behind A series motors.

Bazooka,
    there ARE internal differences in some K series boxes... so far they have been confined to the layshaft bearings/shaft, and the lengths of the selector rods...

i think the early boxes also have different sized bearings but cannot remember for sure..

since selector shafts can be pretty much swapped between boxes... just use your current ones

the actual gearsets, as long as the input and output shaft bearings are the same diameter... should swap across with no hassles.

the actual layshaft appears to be the same diameter between different series of boxes...

if yours is worn near the front (as about 50 billion of them are) it is possible to reverse it 180deg, grind a new notch on the other end (you'll see when you pull it out what i mean) and then get a bit more life out of it...

even if the needle rollers between the layshaft gear and the actual shaft are different, it should still swap across..

there are small differences int he thrust bearings between years, with some larger diameter ones.. but if yours are ok, keep them..

so basically.. if you get a KE70 box, then it is very likely it will swap across.... a KE55 should also, but there may be small differences.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

so much for double posts being prevented
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 24-05-2006 at 05:52 PM. Reason: ddoouubbllee pposstt
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey pushrod_POWA's Avatar

Adding to WDE BDY's comments. T50 would be hydrolic clutch wouldnt it? And he has a cable clutch. But im not expert so I could be wrong.
    Automobile Status: Forward Movement.

Quote Originally Posted by pushrod_POWA
    Adding to that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ T50 would be hydrolic clutch wouldnt it? And he has a cable clutch. But im not expert so I could be wrong.
    Most were, but there are some rare cable T series bellhousings floating around.

Callum

Edit: there are also cable and possiblely hydraulic T box to K engine bellhousings and even a K engine to W box bellhousing

there are hydraulic clutch K to T bellhousings.
    there are CABLE clutch K to T bellhousings also
    most K to K are cable.
    most A to T are hydraulic
    A to K is usually cable?

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    Eldaro..
    read Callums post..

there IS a T50 behind A series motors.

Bazooka,
    there ARE internal differences in some K series boxes... so far they have been confined to the layshaft bearings/shaft, and the lengths of the selector rods...

i think the early boxes also have different sized bearings but cannot remember for sure..

since selector shafts can be pretty much swapped between boxes... just use your current ones

the actual gearsets, as long as the input and output shaft bearings are the same diameter... should swap across with no hassles.

the actual layshaft appears to be the same diameter between different series of boxes...

if yours is worn near the front (as about 50 billion of them are) it is possible to reverse it 180deg, grind a new notch on the other end (you'll see when you pull it out what i mean) and then get a bit more life out of it...

even if the needle rollers between the layshaft gear and the actual shaft are different, it should still swap across..

there are small differences int he thrust bearings between years, with some larger diameter ones.. but if yours are ok, keep them..

so basically.. if you get a KE70 box, then it is very likely it will swap across.... a KE55 should also, but there may be small differences.
    read my post Stu.

the term "i think" is not a clear-cut substitution for the term "i know"

Eldar.O.

Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    read my post Stu.

the term "i think" is not a clear-cut substitution for the term "i know"

Eldar.O.
    rumours are based on "i think"
    facts are based on "i know"

toymods is about spreading facts, not rumours

but technically, there are no "bellhousings" from A to K.. as K never had a seperateable bellhousing