Thread: Auto transmission help?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Auto transmission help?

Hello everyone, I'm a bit noob to the forum and working on cars in general so forgive me if this is in the wrong place..

I've got an 82 Celica (RA60). I took my gearbox out a couple days ago to replace the bushes. I've put it all back together the way it was before I touched it, but now there's some issues. The shifter won't go down all the way when the gear knob is on. When I push it down with my finger it works fine but with the actual knob on it doesn't move. So I can't get it out of park.
    Also, the car thinks it's in reverse despite being stuck in park. I went through all the gears trying to start it, it started up in 3rd gear but then not again in any other gear (assuming that's the battery's fault - it's old and borked and needs to be charged after every start). I'm so confused because I thought auto cars only started in park..

So I've got a transmission that's stuck in reverse and a gear shifter that's stuck in park.
    Any ideas?
    I'm in the middle of painting the dash so a lot of things are unplugged.. not sure if that has anything to do with it but worth a mention I guess.

Default Re: Auto transmission help?

Alright so I did a bit more fiddling and I'm able to get the gears to match up , but when I get to drive it throws it out, as though it skips a gear. For example park on the gear selector will be park on the car, same with reverse and neutral. But when I put it into drive it pulls a lot and when I go back to park, the car will be in reverse again. I did this a few times, some times it was up one gear than it said on the selector, sometimes it was down a gear. Jacked the car up and I'm going to have a look underneath pretty soon, but not really sure what I should be looking for.

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Ragebeard, there's selector position switch on the gearbox. If you ever took it off you need to adjust its position. Surely there're some other issues with your box but this one's easiest to start with.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

best of start from scratch
    unbolt linkage from gear lever to gear box
    move gear lever up and down and back
    move gearbox lever up and down and back
    put box in park
    put lever in park
    bolt linkage back up
    now recheck if u have issue

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post
    best of start from scratch
    unbolt linkage from gear lever to gear box
    move gear lever up and down and back
    move gearbox lever up and down and back
    put box in park
    put lever in park
    bolt linkage back up
    now recheck if u have issue
    I did this a few times. It works fine going through park, reverse and neutral but it really pulls when I try to put it into drive - I'm thinking it might pull too much and jump past drive into 3rd? Because after putting it into drive, going back to park, the car is in reverse again.